Mick
Years ago

Playoffs 2013 - The Battle for 3rd & 4th

NZ and Perth are locks for the top two, but how is the rest going to go down?

Will Sydney stay in third place?

I think the Hawks are definitely out.

Townsville has the softest run home out of any team in the league, but are facing a huge uphill battle out of the hole they dug themselves early. Dropping two seemingly unloseable games to Perth and NZ the last few rounds didn't help either.

Adelaide aren't mathematically out, but are in horrid form and with Clarke at the helm will struggle to stay off the bottom. I think it will just get worse from here as the coaching staff lose their players' trust and confidence.

Cairns are just a weird team without an identity but might bring it together. Not sure.

Melbourne are playing half-decent and have a leg up with the best record outside of the four.

So for my money it will be NZ, Perth, and Sydney, with either Townsville or Melbourne rounding out the four. Townsville are the better ball club but have more work to do.

Should the Crocs make the playoffs after their 0-10 start, it will be an NBL record for an in-season turnaround, I believe...

What's everyone's thoughts?

Topic #30653 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

I think you are on the money.

Reply #401133 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Bang on with NZ & Perth - only guaranteed teams at this stage. Sydney should hang on and I reckon Melbourne will sneak into the 4 at Wollongong's expense. The Gong has a hard draw.

Reply #401164 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Might be another player down with Sav as well. Hard times!

Reply #401170 | Report this post

Quickie  
Years ago

Tigers or Crocs for 4th

Reply #401224 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Good topic but I doubt it will matter. Perth and NZ are on course for a rematch unless Jackson gets injured. Kinda feels weird to be two thirds into the season already...

Reply #401250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, I think you are pretty much right Mick although I think there is a slim chance that the Kings could also miss out given their poor recent form.

Reply #401256 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If Saville is out then I think the Hawks are gone, if he is ok I give them as much chance as anyone with Grant on board.

It could well come down to the two Melbourne v Townsville games in the last two weeks, which are both TV games.

The Crocs probably have to win both to claim the season series, but with only one of their last 10 against the top two they have a real chance. Theyll need to improve their road form though with six away from home.

It could literally come down to four or five teams playing for two spots on the last weekend. I hope so.

Reply #401259 | Report this post

Ash  
Years ago

NZ and Perth are locks.

Sydney I'm not convinced on, don't forget that a lot of people wrote them off at the start of the year. They had a great start to the year but have dropped of a bit of late. They are also in the position of playing the most games in the league so far and therefore are very much looking behind to see who can catch up on their double game rounds.

Wollongong are gone, although they have a softish run home, games against Perth, Melbourne and then New Zealand in the next couple of weeks will go a long way to determining their fate. Unfortunately injuries will cost them as.

For 3rd and 4th i thinks it's going to be a battle between Sydney, Melbourne and Townsville.

Cairns are a sneaky chance but are unlikely and Adelaide simply haven't got enough wins on the board for the amount of games played and are struggling to get the W now.

Reply #401525 | Report this post

Ash  
Years ago

Probably should have proof read that before posting.....

Reply #401526 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:44 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754