Gerard
Years ago

Is it time for a New National Womens Coach

Is it time for a new National Womens Coach

Has Graf lived of the coat tails of Jackson, Taylor and Harrower for her National coaching career.
My question is can she maintain the high standard set with the next geneartion of players.

Also will Erin Phillips play for Australia at World Championships

I would like to see Mark Wright get the Womens National Coaching Position as players will get picked or their abilility not who the are

Topic #30708 | Report this topic

SamCro  
Years ago

No way not Wright, far too unstable emotionally IMO! Tom Maher much better option.

Reply #402229 | Report this post

Gerard  
Years ago

Maher a good option but he has held this postion before time for a fresh approach

To beat USA I believe we need a team that can play in your face basketball for 40 min

Hence why I suggest Mark Wright over Maher

Reply #402233 | Report this post

Go for it  
Years ago

Have you heard Mark Wright in timeouts???

Reply #402248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Long overdue for a change.

Here's a suggestion from left field: Bill Tomlinson

Reply #402249 | Report this post

Gerard  
Years ago

another thought could be Ray Tomlinson

Wright might loud at time out and over the top but he get results and has a style of play that could beat USA

And maybe Wright maybe be able to get Cambage to her full potential

Reply #402253 | Report this post

Crazy Talk  
Years ago

Are you serious right now?!

Not a chance Wright is the man to beat the U.S

Getting results is fine, but he's done it with star studded groups and an open bankbook.

Even then he's managed to splutter with very talented lineups in seasons past

Reply #402254 | Report this post

Gerard  
Years ago

Graf and Maher have both had their chances with star studded line ups and could not beat USA at Olympics

Come up with a better option someone who has a game plan to beat USA

Reply #402257 | Report this post

pug90  
Years ago

Gerard, you cannot be serious. Are you Mark Wright?

Maher would do a superb job.

Reply #402264 | Report this post

Gerard  
Years ago

pug90

Maher has had his chance throw me a name besides Graf Sterling & Maher

I loved Maher as a coach but we need a new game style to beat USA

Reply #402266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maher may go for the Chinese job.

Reply #402268 | Report this post

Gerard  
Years ago

Maher will do a great job with China but we need a change in the style of play and someone who can impose it

Reply #402269 | Report this post

Shano  
Years ago

Best two woman's coaches in oz have to be Stirling and Maher. Graf is overrated.

Reply #402279 | Report this post

Gerard  
Years ago

Agree Maher and Sterling good coaches but we need a new game plan and coach to beat USA

Reply #402282 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Agree with @Gerard, names being tossed around are the old guard in coaching.

If we have the next generation of players coming through, should we not be looking for the next generation of coaches who are up with the times.

I am not pushing any particular name, but would expect there would be some strong contenders around current WNBL coaches, besides those names already mentioned.

Reply #402285 | Report this post

Gerard  
Years ago

The only reason I throw Mark Wrights name into to ring is because of game plan ....up in your face basketball pressure on the ball a full 80min

No half court or zone defence full court pressure

I my humble opion I believe this style of game is the one to beat USA at the next olympics

Womens basketball in this country is so close to be something special but to do that we need to be different

Reply #402288 | Report this post

Guns  
Years ago

kristy harrower as coach. she has done a good job with bendigo

Reply #402289 | Report this post

Gerard  
Years ago

I know she thinks she is coach but I thought Bernie was the head coach at Bendigo

Reply #402290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ lol, bernie coach of bendigo.. LOL.

Kristy needs to do a thorough apprenticeship before taking on a proper coaching gig like WNBL let alone the Opals.

There are also some educational pre requesites for a BA head coaching gig too.

Reply #402293 | Report this post

unanon  
Years ago

i agree the graf shouldnt go again this year
but if tom cant do it because he already gave it ago and mark cant do because he is too unstable who else is there

Reply #402300 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

Gerard - Is way too invested in this topic! Agree with above post 'Go For It' - Wright is almost impossible to understand in timeouts! Far too maniac in his approach, trying to deliver 300 hundred messages at once! Anyone could look good coaching the current group that Wright has got at his disposal in Dandenong.

Reply #402305 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

ok let's review the WNBL field

Lighting - Buckle - maybe
Spirit - Harrower x 2 ... maybe Kristi in 5 years
Boomers - Maher - old guard
Caps - Graf - old guard
Rangers - Wright - not sure
Thunder - Chainey - who ?
Flames - Dalton - old guard
Fire - Lucas - maybe
Waves - Kereama - Kiwi, doesn't count

Hmmmm, that's thinner than I thought - if not Wright, Lucas and Buckle have been around a while ... not sure of their political correctness, but both know their stuff.

Reply #402309 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Graf needs to go. Should have gone after the 2010 World Champs botch-up.
Personally I wouldn't go with any current WNBL head coach. I'm not particularly inspired by any of them.
The Opals need an overhaul and a fresh start both with the squad and the coach IMO.
I don't know the answer for coach, but we need to look outside the (go with a current WNBL head coach) box.

Reply #402312 | Report this post

Moses Malone  
Years ago

Why a WNBL coach?

Get the best coach available without a gig....Guy Molloy.

Reply #402322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Molloy has a new job, and the Head Coaching position for the Opals and the Boomers will be full time. Probably based in Canberra. There are rumours that the AIS will cease as well if the Canberra stuff happens.

Reply #402323 | Report this post

CharacterFirst  
Years ago

Mark Wright would be a disaster. He is mediocre, and that is being generous.

Reply #402330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree that no one in the wnbl is the right fit for the job.

Throwing some ideas out there:

Phil Brown - I believe he should get the job, if not this campaign, than the next one. Who else knows all the players and Australian style of play better than Phil? He has already coached most of the players for consideration.
Olaf/Sandy - a mixture of international coaching and playing experience.
Kristi - agree with previous comments, she needs the right training but should definitely be in the mix of assistant coaches for Rio.

An international coach???
Perhaps a men's coach???

Also I have to say, where has BA's coach development been? One of the things that you could look at has been the past ais scholarship coaches. In the past 5 years, what have these coaches done? Majority are not even coaching anymore.

Reply #402353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would any of the other Australian junior coac,s or assisstant coach's be suitable...eg : Chambers?

Reply #402354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chambers... no

Reply #402360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chambers worst coach I have seen talent identification is non existent with her and coaches with no flexibility

Reply #402366 | Report this post

Best coach we have had is Stirling.
She is still the only coach to deliver gold in a Worlds or Olympics.

Played the pressure defence and aggressive all over the court.
Tough, high expectations but does not play favourites.
The trouble with that is a certain superstar expected to be a favourite and pouted like a 10 year old when she was subbed out or corrected.

Put her back in and let the players know they conform or they're out.

Reply #402367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HC:Stirling
AC:Bucks
AC:Brown

Reply #402370 | Report this post

Gerard  
Years ago

So everyone agrees Graf has to go

Maher is old school plus maybe coaching China

We have knockers of right saying he only get results with star studded teams, question is not our Australian team a star studded group just throwing that out there

Sterling I agree but lets give her assistants who know international basketball and are not establishment

Reply #402374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Laughing so hard at th e suggestion of mark wright.... Not a good coach at all. The team basically coached itself to a championship last year and he is just lucky to have the financial backing so he can buy a team. For example and don't get me wrong i love the fact that Monica wright is in our league but the only reason she is here is because mark lost a couple of early games. Then he got worried and got his sponsor to give more money!!
The next national team coach does not have to be a current wnbl coach!!

Reply #402389 | Report this post

Gerard  
Years ago

Easy to knock come up with a better alternative

Who do want as the next coach surely you dont want Graf

Reply #402391 | Report this post

Gerard  
Years ago

It would appear no one can come up with anyone better than Mark Wright

You have all knock Wright but your only alternatives are old school or been tried

Reply #402406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chris Lucas is a better choice than wright

Reply #402410 | Report this post

Gerard  
Years ago

put up and arguement for Chris Lucas

Reply #402412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lucas previously has been in the Opals program (in the glory years)as an Asst Coach to Stirling. Stirling rates Lucas very highly. Lucas has also had a long association with Oz Underage Teams, as an Asst & recently Head Coach (U-17 Girls Team). Lucas is a players coach, most of his players love playing for him!

Reply #402419 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I put Mark Wright in a lower category than Carrie Graf.
Graf's success in the WNBL has come as a direct result of the budget she has worked with. When given a better team than anyone else she has generally won. When it comes to getting the best possible performance from just an ok team she has fallen short though, such as the last 2 Opals campaigns as well as her stint in the WNBA.
Wright on the other hand, can't even be relied on to win with a massive budget.
I'd rather have Graf than Wright, and I'd rather have Stirling or Maher than either of them. I'd also rather have someone new, who is unburdened by the Opals' political history, than Stirling or Maher.

Reply #402421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any idea on when the coaches will be announced?

Reply #402535 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

Marty Clarke will be announced at the end of the NBL season.

Reply #402536 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

Graf must go, she can't coach well at all, the only time she had success was with a star studded wnbl team. She had the 2nd best team by far at the last worlds and at the olympice and finished 5th and 3rd. My pick would be Tom but I wouldn't care who it is as long as Graf is gone, she is the biggest hinderance on the Opals at the moment.

Reply #402544 | Report this post

Don't care who it is as long as they have the "Clark Griswald" white shoes I'll be happy

Reply #402548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its done and they don't currently coach a women's team. The name has already been listed here.

Reply #402550 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Wow Marty Clarke it is then ?!

Reply #402551 | Report this post

Hopscotch62  
Years ago

You have to be kidding Chris Lucas, players coach "Most of the players like playing for him" who Jess Foley.

Reply #402561 | Report this post

ANONYMOUS  
Years ago

Maher is leaving Bulleen for an international gig.

Reply #402566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maher will always leave for a international gig. He chases them all the time.

Reply #402591 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

Jason Chainey is not ready for such a position but I would like him to to go as an assistant, he has a very lean Logan team playing very well and he has actual plays he draws up and they often work, he coaches a very good team game.

Reply #402597 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

I have always liked Cheryl Chambers as a coach, I think she would do well.

Reply #402598 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

Or Gary Fox.

Reply #402599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting that the name is here. No one has been interviewed for the job yet. if what anonymous says turns out to be true, them there is no point in even applying. Who is it anonymous. Put you anonymous reputation on the line.

Reply #402645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cheryl Chambers would be a nightmare, no people skills whatsoever.

Reply #402652 | Report this post

Leopard  
Years ago

Like Stirling, but wish you guys would show the sort of respect for experience and runs on the board that they do in the NBA. Their coaches - Rivers, dAntoni, Jackson - are all well known and seem to keep going forever! You are overvaluing youth and playing experience. all coaches have to make a lot of mistakes as they learn human management, its the hardest job of all.
And who is to say that Stirling and Maher cant keep improving?

Reply #402699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tom Maher would be a terrible choice as would Chambers. The coach is just part of the problem though. Our prepartion for the London was not good and while not as bad as the mens team, the women just dont spend enough time together as a complete unit.
I understand many have other team duties to deal with but while we try to patch groups together in a month or so with the level of talent we have we will never get close to a Gold Medal. We could play the US "B" team and still get thumped.

Reply #402741 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Hey Gerard, What about Mark Wright?

Reply #402747 | Report this post

Gerard  
Years ago

Good to see to thread still running
My choice still Mark Wright

Will not be back on few days as going into surgrey to have done replaced in arm

hope you can come up with a coach

Reply #402752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Graf has agreed with you announcing today that she won't be applying for Opals Coach. Let the talk begin.

Reply #404392 | Report this post

do we look outside australia or do we have the coahing talent within

Reply #404395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aaah, the infamous Gerard...

Reply #404403 | Report this post

the option  
Years ago

I think Gary Fox would be a good choice for the head coach position. Mark Wright seems to be the most confused person in most time outs.

Reply #405393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what do you reckon, Gerard?
There is still time to dump Joyce and appoint Wright as coach of the Opals in time for the world championships.

Reply #460950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm really liking what I have seen of Joyce in this role so far. A brave choice but a good one I think.

Reply #461092 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:44 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754