Jack Toft
Years ago

All Star Sixers team from last 10 seasons

OK Poindexters, here's my challenge for you all. Nominate your all Star team Sixers from the last decade of Sixers teams. That is Season 2003/04 to the current 2012/13. Starting 5 and bench 5. If you want to be nasty, then you can nominate your "Scream Team" of the worst Sixers, but don't blame me in any legal proceedings.
You have 3 coaches to pick from and he needs two assistants. (Obviously Marty gets one definite vote)

Probably only lock in would be Brett Maher (c) and Jared (Team Manager)

I think the list to pick from is:

Brett Maher
Brett Wheeler
Martin Cattalini
Paul Rees
Mark Nash
Willie Farley
Oscar Forman
Jacob Holmes
Charles Thomas
Dusty Rychart
Darren Ng
Brad Hill
David Cooper
Lanard Copeland
Matt Sutton
Nick Horvath
Erik Burdon
Jordan Dodman
Adam Ballinger
Axel Dench
Brad Davidson
Neil Mottram
Mike Chapell
Julius Hodge
Brad Gerlach
Shane Breheny
Luke Schenscher
Aaron Bruce
Mark Tyndale
Paora Winitana
Ryan Kersten
Peter Hoban
Rod Grizzard
John Gilchrist
Cortez Groves
Matt Burston
Nathan Herbert
Chris Molitor
Tom Garlepp
Troy De Vries
Craig Winder
Rhys Carter
Daniel Johnson
Jeff Dowdell
Sam Harris
Mitchell Creek
Tom Daly
Eddie Shannon
Ron Howard
Jan Warbout
Nathan Crosswell
Steven Weigh
Diamon Simpson
Chris Warren
Everard Bartlett
Wade Helliwell
Matthew Lycett
Adam Gibson
Jason Cadee
Anthony Petrie
Adam Doyle
Scott Christopherson
CJ Massingale
Pero Vasiljevic

(Apologies to anyone who donned the singlet and is not listed)

Topic #30737 | Report this topic

Pure Silk  
Years ago

Based on records my picks would be

Johnson
Ballinger
Farley
Hodge
Maher

Cattalini
Rees
Holmes
Gibson
Rychart

Smyth

Reply #402864 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

That would be a good team. No room for Diamon Simpson? Hodge?
Who would be Smyth's assistants?

Reply #402867 | Report this post

Pick up game  
Years ago

Johnson ??? not on my life

Reply #402871 | Report this post

Pointguard  
Years ago

Bill Jones was their first championship captain

Reply #402872 | Report this post

Pick up game  
Years ago

1. Gibson
2. Maher
3. Farley
4. Cat
5. Schencher

Bench:

6. Simpson or Rees
7. Ballinger
8. Nash
9. Ng
10.Bruce

Reply #402873 | Report this post

Pick up game  
Years ago

Sorry replace Nash with Forman in my team

Reply #402874 | Report this post

Pick up game  
Years ago

Bill Jones was not 2003
Oh and did someone say Hodge?
Hodge who?

Reply #402875 | Report this post

Years ago

Maher
Farley
Hodge
Cattalini
Rees

Gibson
De Vries
Herbert
Rychart
Schenscher

HC: Smyth
Asst: Ninnis

Good balance of offence, defence, shooting and rebounding.

Reply #402877 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Schenscher
Ballinger
Cattalini
Farley
Maher

Simpson
Petrie
Rychart
Gibson
Gilchrist

Hodge is sadly not eligible under rule 1.1 - douchebags need not apply.

Reply #402878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldnt have anyone from the current team there just on merit, plus there a bunch of duds. i like gibson but what has he done to warrant a spot in the 10 year team?

Reply #402880 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

Cant have Jones in as he was 80s otherwise he would be a lock for the 5 spot. Had Johnson as he is an MVP of the club. Gibson is my only One year player. Simpson was OK but frustrated me big time with his free throw shooting. Assistant coach gotta be Breheny.

Reply #402882 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Given in the past 10 seasons the 36ers have finished in the top half of the ladder just twice and won a grand total of 0 playoff games it could be known as the decade of duds!

Excluding someone because they played on a bad team wouldnt leave a lot of players.

Reply #402885 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Nobody has picked Davis?

Reply #402886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol at DJ being selected. Cattalini would punch his lights out within two or three games of putting up with his shit.

Reply #402887 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

The reality is during this period we never had a dominant Centre and Johnson is an MVP so you have to have him in the lineup with Rees as backup imo. He definately has his faults and body language is one but he can play so to not have him in this squad is not right looking at stats.

Reply #402889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

- Shot selection - taking away shots from better players as well, everyone's efficiency would go down

- DJ can't guard the pick and roll....we'd be torched, Maher wasn't great guarding the on-ball and neither was Farley but haven't Rees and Cooper there saved them...a DJ -Maher/Farley combo guarding the on-ball would be lay-up city.

- DJ doesn't really try to guard anyone full-stop

Seriously I'd take a Cooper and Rees who played their roles and didn't try to do anything they couldn't over stat chasing DJ any day of the week.

Reply #402894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

- Shot selection - taking away shots from better players as well, everyone's efficiency would go down

- DJ can't guard the pick and roll....we'd be torched, Maher wasn't great guarding the on-ball and neither was Farley but haven't Rees and Cooper there saved them...a DJ -Maher/Farley combo guarding the on-ball would be lay-up city.

- DJ doesn't really try to guard anyone full-stop

Seriously I'd take a Cooper and Rees who played their roles and didn't try to do anything they couldn't over stat chasing DJ any day of the week.

Reply #402895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My Team

Starters

Schenscher
Ballinger
Cattalini
Farley
Maher

Bench

Rychart
Horvath
Hodge (would be a starter if he played a full season, and didnt leave on bad terms, arguably the most talented)
Gibson
Gilchrist

Train on squad - Thomas, Bruce, Holmes, Forman, Simpson, Warren, DeVries

Development players (could make the next decade team if stick around and improve) - Creek, Weigh, Johnson, Cadee

Coach - Smyth
Assistants - Ninnis and Breheny

Many left Hodge out all together, understandably, if it were an official team the club probably would, i put him in off the bench as he is 'on the court' the best import we have had in the decade and i reckon we would have won around 50% of the games with him, which is good for the past decade and he was a big factor to us making the playoffs under Ninnis, even though he wasnt there at the end of the season.

Reply #402904 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Is this the best team, or a team of honoured players given their contributions? Much tougher if you're doing the latter. Maybe only Maher and Ballinger as locks?

Reply #402905 | Report this post

d@b  
Years ago

Maher - definately
Hodge - definately (doesnt matter what we think about him, definately the best player to pull on a 36ers jersey in the last ten years)

Cattalini

I cant decide between Rychart and Ballinger ( I cant believe no one else on here remembers how good rychart was)

As for the centre, the first year Schenscher was here he was a real force, schooled Anstey every time

Tough to leave out Farley, but he wasnt as good as Hodge

Charles Thomas, lots of people forget about him. He was here for two seasons I think, pretty much longer than every other import guard we've had since. People bemoaned him because he wasnt as good as Farley, mee or Brooks, and thus was quickly forgotten, but stacked up to who we've had since he probably looks alright. I can remember (a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away), you could just about guarantee that each of CT, maher and rychart would score at least 20 points, especially when the games was here in Adelaide.

Reply #402909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For actual ability to play as a team:

Adam Gibson
Brett Maher
Oscar Forman
Dusty Rychart
Adam Ballinger

Brad Davidson
Lanard Copeland
Jacob Holmes
Martin Cattalini
Luke Schenscher

For individual performance irrespective of team performance

Brett Maher
Julius Hodge
Oscar Forman
Dusty Rychart
Luke Schenscher

Chris Warren
Adam Gibson
Martin Cattalini
Adam Ballinger
Daniel Johnson

Reply #402914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here is my 'all could-of beens' team.

Players that if they were recruited/retained/used properly by the coach/didnt get injured may have turned out to be around the mark for the best team of the decade, but didnt make my team. Most have gone onto decent things at other clubs/leagues.

Burston (if not got injured would have been one of the better bigs we have had imo)

Holmes (done fairly well in his stints elsewhere and wasnt used well by Clarke imo, averaged around a 10pts 10rebds under Smyth for a few years)

Ingles (SA olympian)

Newley (SA olympian)

Bruce (rookie of the year, not retained by 2 coaches, doing better than most of our guards currently)

Howard (Averages around 20ppg in D-League, if clarke gave him the ball and some freedom would have been around 15-20ppg in the NBL imo)

Simpson (good import, if retained longer term could have been a all-decade prospect, had a short NBA stint)

DeVrie (good import, injury ruined his stint, gone on to do well in Spain)

Madgen (SA player, former 36ers development player, currently one of the best guards in the NBL)

Forman (SA player - doing well for the Hawks, would be as good as most PF/SFs we have had here had he stayed.)

Reply #402915 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

Brett Maher
Martin Cattalini
Matt Burston
Julius Hodge
Adam Ballinger

Dusty Rychart
Paul Rees
Willie Farley
Adam Gibson
Oscar Forman

Smyth/Ninnis

Reply #402916 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I am glad someone dropped Brad's name down. I think he was understated and really was a great team man. One of those guys who showed a lot of leadership on and off the court.

Reply #402920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PG - Brett Maher (not a true PG but could do it with his eyes closed compared to cadee and crosswell) - court named after him, simple.
SG - Willie Farley - people come to be entertained and come to win, this guy did both and did it with style.
SF - Juilius Hodge - we may hate the bloke and may not like what he did, but keep him in this team and this league he would be 3 MVP's up over most.
PF - Martin Catalini - could do it all from playing big to hitting 3's, work ethic exceptional. plus has a trophy named after him simple.
c - Dusty Rhycart(not true but gee could bang) - made playing basketball look easy. the mid range jumper and rebounding always good.

Bench
Jacob Holmes - gee the bloke can rebound, gave his heart for the club.
Luke Schenscher - in his prime and first stint was unguradable.
Adam Ballinger - hard not to start him, but was dominant when the sixers werent.
Paul Rees - opposite to dusty, made everything look hard but didnt we love the guy.
Adam Gibson - championship player that seems to help teams fold, but if we had more who worked as hard as he does now, we wouldnt be so so bad.
Oscar Forman - hit his peak after sixers, but used us as a good stepping stone, but still wasnt aweful and good always shoot the ball.

coach
Phil Smyth (his spit has more basketball knowledge than the dud we have coaching now) if you can make Paul Rees look like a star then the world is your oyster. oh yeah plus has some credit with his championships and boomers days.

Reply #402921 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Anon - you mean the same Paul Rees who was MVP of the 1994 NBL grand final series for the Giants (against the 36ers, ironically) and played for teh Boomers at the 1994 Worlds? Yeah, fancy Smyth's coaching making him look good!

Now if you want to talk about what he got out of David Stiff...

Reply #402930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PeterJohn - you mean the David Stiff who played on 6 NBL championship teams : )

Reply #402955 | Report this post

Anthony  
Years ago

You could never go past the Maher/Farley combination

Maher
Farley
Cattalini
Dusty Rycart
Paul Rees

Oscar Forman
Jacob Holmes
Luke Schenscher
Brad Davidson
Charles Thomas

Phil Smyth
Scott Ninnis

Reply #402971 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:57 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754