Mick
Years ago

Gary Ervin takes out 2nd Consecutive POTM

Ervin has been pretty amazing during this run.

2nd in line for league MVP, for my money now. Has definitely surpassed Ben Magden.

Topic #30742 | Report this topic

Tornado  
Years ago

Imagine if he had of played from the beginning of the season....would have given Cedric a run for his money!

Reply #403074 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

He only missed the first (and second?) game, plus training camp obv, and all the rhythm problems that go along with that.

Ervin has stepped it up a notch since he has been given a proper team to run (ie. Luke Nevill signed, Rusty actually trying, Ben Allen not getting court time). If the Crocs had the proper team since the start of the season and the Ws that go along with that, then maybe he contests Cedric for the MVP. Ervin is the clear #2 as it stands though.

He hasn't left anything on the court all year long and flat out hasn't had a bad game. Can't say enough about this guy as a Crocs fan, with so many other guys on this team that haven't put in effort every game.

Crocs are a curious case: they are the third best team in the league but have a slim chance of even making the playoffs, which doesn't bode well for MVP debates.

Reply #403089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geez, i remember when Gary Ervin first re-entered the NBL with Townsville a few so called experts on this forum had him ranked as the worst PG in the NBL! I wonder if these so called experts have changed their opinions now?

Reply #403090 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I'd be happy to call him a dual MVP, but how has his form coincided with Jacob Holmes missing games? Is Nevill just taking those numbers ?

Reply #403093 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

I was one of those guys who was saying he was one of the least effective PGs in the league. And at that time, I was right.

He wasn't showing faith in his teammates; playing like a Kobe Bryant (not including the last dozen or so Lakers games) type player. It was effecting his and the team's game. I wonder how he would be going if Luke Neville didn't sign.

Reply #403095 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Holmes' absence is not really related, although as much as I love him, he isn't that great at getting the designated scorers the ball and sometimes disrupts the pecking order / heirachy by shooting bad shots when other guys should be taking them.

He'll be back this weekend against Cairns, so we'll see.

Reply #403096 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Spursfan: no one else on the Crocs was even putting in effort before Nevill arrived. Not only has Nevill made everyone better, but they have stepped up the effort areas as well.

There is a fine line between looking for your own shot too much and having no one worth a damn to pass the ball to.

Reply #403097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep Spursfan - so called expert.

Reply #403099 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Just because I didn't respond straight away, anonymous, doesn't mean I have no comeback. Maybe I have better things to do haha. Idiot.

Mick, Did you see the shots Ervin was forcing up and the general lack of on-court direction for a stretch of over two months at the start of the year?

It's the same as the old Kobe saga - his teammates aren't putting in effort because they are ticked for not getting the ball. There is a reason they were not putting in effort. Look at the difference Kobe's distributing has made with the Lakers. I'm assuming you watch a lot of NBA here.

Ervin came in with a 'me first' mindset. Not that it was necessarily a selfish mindset, maybe he thought it were best for the team, but a 'me first' mindset nonethless. Being a Crocs fan, surely you saw that? Watching every Crocs game to date, I know I did.

Reply #403162 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Spursfan brings up a good point. Kobe passing and you see guys like Earl Clark, Jamison and Metta all bringing that effort on both ends. It always helps when you get a guy like Nevill into your team but the team looks much better with ball movement, same as the Lakers have been recently. hmmm now who has been preaching that as the solution for the lakers for years?

Reply #403163 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Apologies Mick.....my post should have read, Imagine if he had of played with Nevill from the beginning of season....

Reply #403180 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He is playing great at the moment and certainly deserves to be in the MVP discussion but I cant see anyone tracking Jackson down.

Reply #403198 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Not with the voting system they use. Ervin had too many bad games early on to be really in the running.

Reply #403240 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:36 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754