The Captain
Years ago

NBL: The rebirth of Cool

Can the NBL rediscover its mojo?

http://www.unambitiousus.com/sports/the-re-birth-of-cool/

My article on the troubles of the NBL. Interested in your thoughts.

Topic #30753 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

My feedback would be it seems a pretty good summation of what is happening in Adelaide but does not reflect the situation of the other seven clubs in the league, both good and bad.

I think you should rename it "The 36ers: The rebirth of Cool".

Reply #403191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let me summarise for everyone, we need cool players in the league

That is all, not exactly mind blowing stuff and certainly don't need a marketing degree (or a budget) to realise that. Hell I don't need a journalism degree to write shit on the internet either

Reply #403196 | Report this post

The Captain  
Years ago

Paul I agree. Perth for instance is a great example of a club that is growing and drawing good attention.

My real point is that it once seemed that the NBL was this cool sub-culture. People wanted to be part of it, to get to know the players to be around the community.

Today the number of people who feel that way (and yes specifically in Adelaide) is very, very small.

The questions are; can the NBL rediscover a niche through the marketing of the 'cool' aspect of the NBL? Do the clubs and players do enough to fill their stadiums and garner that interest?

Anon - thanks for your wonderful feedback. Positive and constructive. We don't need cool players in the league, we need to convince the public they are cool. There is a difference.

Reply #403200 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Depends on whether we want the NBL to showcase a sport or just be entertainment.

The glory days of the 90s were when it tried to be entertainment.

Personally, as a long-time fan and player and coach I HATE the way the sport has been screwed around with in the interests of providing entertainment.
I like a good dunk, but I don't want to see only dunks on highlight reels just cos they're flashy.

Reply #403203 | Report this post

POP  
Years ago

Hoopie, agree! If we went back to presenting the sport with integrity [& refereed it consistently & sensibly so 'lay' spectators could understand what was going on] we'd be taking a big step in the right direction.

Reply #403208 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Plenty of "cool" characters in the NBL, and there has been from the start, during the heyday, the darker years, and in the modern 40 minute era.

Problem is, you can't market your individual players without coverage. These guys aren't on ads, they don't get much burn in the media, and they aren't part of the wider sporting consciousness or societal zeitgeist that is required to be considered cool or part of popular culture.

Reply #403243 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Plenty of "cool" characters in the NBL, and there has been from the start, during the heyday, the darker years, and in the modern 40 minute era.

Problem is, you can't market your individual players without coverage. These guys aren't on ads, they don't get much burn in the media, and they aren't part of the wider sporting consciousness or societal zeitgeist that is required to be considered cool or part of popular culture.

Go down to your local cricket oval on a sunday arvo and hang around and you will find some marketable characters that could be embraced by the public given the appropriate spotlight.

It's not about having "cool" guys, it's about having the public view them through a suitable prism conducive to personability and embrace.

Reply #403245 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

sorry double post (now triple)

Reply #403246 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

@The Captain, I think your point about no one knowing NBL players is pivotal.

Plenty of "sporting heroes" will seem cool to kids if they have met them in the flesh only once.

The South Dragons in Melbourne seem to have been the only NBL club recently that had a strategy to get out into the grass roots and connect with local associations. They didn't last for other reasons.

Just watched a video referenced in another thread of Ben Madgen running clinics up in the NT as a community initiative ... yep, that's great but what about the whole of Sydney ?

Not picking on Ben, the same applies to every other NBL team in their home town.

Nice article, hope a few on high are listening.

Reply #403248 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Not picking on Ben, the same applies to every other NBL team in their home town."

What do you base that on, a lot of NBL players do a huge number of community appearances. Cairns, Townsville, Wollongong, Perth and New Zealand players are well known in their cities.

In Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide there is work to be done, although I think the Kings do their fair share and the Tigers have certainly increased their presence this year.

Reply #403253 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

CR - Wildcats go to several schools every week.
300+ community visits I think was the figure last week. Each player has a commitment to x amount of hours of community visits as part of their contract.

Maybe all teams should do something like this?

Reply #403254 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I remember hearing that in club's licences there is a certain amount of hours players have to spend in the community. Crowds and memberships havent increased in the past few years from clubs just sitting on their backsides.

Each club needs to keep doing what theyre doing and find ways to improve it, especially by looking at what the best clubs are doing. A fair bit of idea sharing goes on already which is good.

Reply #403256 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

Good to hear that in some locations e.g. Perth the community activity is alive and well ... I am certainly going on what I observe locally (not Perth).

@alexkrad Even better if players have obligations under their contract ...

But there is a gap somewhere ... everyone seems to agree some teams aren't doing that well ...

But every AFL Club seems to recognise the need to connect to the grass roots.

Don't have a magic solution, this is just observation.

Reply #403258 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Youre spot on, it's no coincidence the teams that do it better are better known in their communities. There are other factors of course, but this is a very important thing for clubs to do well.

Reply #403262 | Report this post

ChuckBerry  
Years ago

I read the title and thought of Dream Warriors Rebirth of Slick.

So many topics to breakdown here man. I don't even know where to begin addressing this shyt.

I'll tell you one thing though when free to air can't spare scrub minutes at the end of their weekly sports wrap-up for the NBL then yeah there's seriosuly something wrong here.

I'm one of these esoteric fans you speak of. Let's face it the NBL is washed up and so is basketball in Aus. I regularly meet folks who still phuckin think MJ, Pippen, Barkley et al are still playing in the NBA. Phuckin ridiculous.

The shyt is a joke. I don't even know where to begin with this.

Have there been any reports made public regarding the current state of basketball in AU?

Reply #403325 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

Good article that makes some solid points about where the NBL is at.

Me, like many others who visit this forum, grew up on a steady diet of 80's into early-mid 90's NBL. I looked forward to the attending games and to tuning into tv/radio wraps.

Most NBL news in the national media is negative or controversy based.

It must step back and expand its grass roots base. Go beyond holding clinics. Go to schools, Malls, the local boat ramp...find new fans.

Adults and kids have to many (easy) options in front of your face to bother chasing something to do now days.

Let people know Tuesday what you're doing Saturday and their more likely to come along. Last minute promotion is worth zip.

Reply #403394 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

@CR Jeeesh ya gotta know all your Community Initiatives dude, even on a basketball forum ...

You just ruined the thread - thanks

Reply #403423 | Report this post

The Captain  
Years ago

Thanks for the discussion guys. I appreciate the feedback.

I guess my main point is about the lack of visibility of NBL players. I know there are pockets where this is well done, but surely it is something that the NBL should mandate?

All contracts should stipulate a set amount of hours worked each week, including game and training times. Hence when not playing or training (or in medical/recovery) players must be actively promoting the sport. The reality is that financially the players are payed well above what the market says they should earn. It's time for them to really earn that wage.

We also need to have some heroes/villians. There is nothing better than going to a game to cheer on your hero and to boo the opposition villain. That emotional investment is what ties you to a sport. Right now the only emotion (in Adelaide anyway) is to boo your own team and management.
To have heroes and villians though, we need to know something of the personality of the players. Who are they? What do they believe in?
If they are all good guys, then create some villains (this is what the marketing people should be doing). We really need something to get passionate about.

One of the key ways to do this is to have less movement between teams. It is difficult to get riled up about the playing the tigers or anyone else if half of your team played for them last season!
For heroes and villians we need consistency.

Reply #403735 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"I guess my main point is about the lack of visibility of NBL players. I know there are pockets where this is well done, but surely it is something that the NBL should mandate?

All contracts should stipulate a set amount of hours worked each week, including game and training times."

I think players are already required to do a certain amount of community hours, whether that's individually or collectively Im not sure.

Reply #403736 | Report this post

The Captain  
Years ago

It may have changed but my recollection was that the amount of hours committed was very small. Really in a small market like this the players should be promoting the club and sport every minute they aren't on court.

Reply #403922 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Well, how many clubs in the NBL, or the NBL itself for that matter, conduct meaningful and productive surveys from people going to games?

Find out what the public really want and what these punters really think, then action it...

But don't stop there, conduct those surveys at schools, shopping malls and other sporting venues as well, to find out what is working elsewhere and what isn't!

Cool is often a perception, but to many, perception is reality...

Reply #403927 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The Captain, I think it has changed.
Bear, I think you should get a job at the 36ers!

Reply #403934 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Friend was surveyed by 36ers recently. Said that the survey seemed very, very amateur. He was amazed. One of the questions was about whether he liked/rated the coach, or something like that. He was apparently stopped on the street as Joe Public and asked that. Given a couple of tickets for his troubles.

Reply #403943 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Surveys are not rocket science, I mean really....?

1. What do you like best about your basketball experience?
2. What did you like least?
3. What would you like to see at the basketball?
4. Do you think it is too expensive for the experience?
5. How many times have you been this season and what would make you come back?
6. Do you think players are involved in your local community?
7. Where, when and how would you like to see players active in your community?

etc.. etc..

Just off the top of my head, I'm sure some brain storming in the NBL club room would come up with some great ideas.....!

Reply #404062 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:19 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754