Rocketfan
Years ago

Boti,are you kidding mate?

Just wanted to see if anyone else thinks Boti was completely wrong in his wrap up of the Eastern Vs Rocket final.If i was to believe his report of the game I would be left with the impression that it was a no contest and only Holmes was worth writing about.WERE U EVEN AT THE GAME,BOTI?I dont believe so...How do you report on something you didnt even witness?Isnt it your job mate?I did happen to attend the game and was quite impressed with the standard of both teams.Jacob was magnificent but all those that witnessed the game would freely admit that Nathan Hawkes was truly amazing himself.Those two guys were levels ahead of the rest.Hawkes doesnt get the credit he deserves,but Im sure he doesnt lose sleep over it.The Sixers would be silly not to round out the bench with Nathan,even if Boti finds it hard to mention him.Keep going the Hawk,you make Rocketball worth watching

Topic #308 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im guessing boti was at the Womens game.

Reply #2368 | Report this post

Court Marshall  
Years ago

Totally agree with you Rocketfan. His article was horribly inaccurate in dismissing the Rockets the way he did. If he did go to the womens game, it certainly wasn't reported in the Sunday Mail, as the whole story was on the mens game.

Reply #2369 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Isn't he somehow affiliated with the Forrestville womans team? I have seen him at their games a few times.

Reply #2370 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I didn't see Boti at the Mens game and he does have a family-link to the Eagles so I would've expected him to be watching the Womens game.

I, too, thought that he was very pro-Holmes in the article. North gave Eastern a good run for their money, and if it were I writing the article, Davis and Zorich would've had more of a mention.

Magnificent was Holmes versus the Sabres. Against North I think there was a lot more support from the other Mavs (Davis, Trebilcock, etc) and I think they deserved more mention in the article.

Reply #2373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti hates the Rockets.

Its obvious. Never rights good things about them.

Reply #2374 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

By that theory he hates the 36ers also and every other club/human being!

Reply #2375 | Report this post

Zimmerman  
Years ago

The man cannot be in two places at once. Boti was at wayville and from my understanding relies on information from the other stadium. If a North official phoned through and told Boti that Holmes was the dominant player in the game then that is what he will write.
He also could have written and probably did a lot more about both games than was printed however that would be out of his control. Anyway what is wrong with hating North Adelaide I thought that was the norm.

Reply #2379 | Report this post

X_factor  
Years ago

Keep up the good work Boti.....who doesn't hate the rockets? Why say anything good about them.Also, its bout time the other Mavs did something

Reply #2380 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I attended the game and was never convinced that the Mavericks had the victory until the last 40 seconds of the game. Even though Mavericks held the lead all the way through, Rockets were never out of striking distance as far as their capability was concerned.

Reply #2382 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

How do people think Boti gets a write up about every ABA game every week??

Wake up people!!

Boti can only be in one place, and relies on information sent through from the stadiums to be able to do anything. Whoever sends the reports through (they also get sent to BASA) is expected to do a brief write up about the game.

I know this as a FACT, because I am always under pressure at the end of every game I call to declare the stats correct so that they can get to Boti before his deadlines.

Be grateful there is any basketball at all in the papers.

Reply #2385 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Well perhaps this is why for next season Hoops SA can provide excllent media coverage of every game by assigning each team a staff member to write their press report on each game which will be published on this website?

Reply #2392 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Well, that is exactly how OzHoops got running (back eons ago when we were Basketball World), and progressed through to what is regarded as one of the best non-official sites in Australia (even the NBL Media Manager uses our resources, and posts on the forum!!).

It is a great idea if there are people who attend their local club home games to write reports.

Reply #2401 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Yogee, you're right, let's be grateful that there is basketball in the papers, but lets also get it accurate. As a writer, it makes you look very silly when the articles are read by people who know better.

Reply #2403 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

I love reading his articles! He maybe negative but it is entertaining. After all, it is only his opinion. Looking forward to some more jibes about Kingma!

Reply #2405 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't know if Kingma has been picked up by an NBL team...

Reply #2412 | Report this post

How about some Boti jokes??

What's the difference between Fat Cat & Boti?

Fat Cat has friends.

Boti has never liked Hawkes.
Last season Hawkes made a come back after several years away from the NBL & Boti couldn't put pen to paper all season to write about it.

There have been some good articles & write ups on the Forum this season & if I was the editor of the Advertiser I would sack Boti & get some fresh, young talent to cover SA B'Ball.

Reply #2427 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Nathan Hawkes stats for 2003/04:

3 ppg, 1 rpg, 1 apg (Career 2.7, 1.0, 0.8)
42% F.goal avg (Career 42%)
53% F.Throw avg (Career 66%)
18% 3-pointer avg (Career 30%)

Sorry, but not much to write about!

Reply #2430 | Report this post

charmaine  
Years ago

agreed....not much of a care factor for the fans. i have nothing against hawkes and saw him light up hillcrest on sat night, buti cant imagine many readers seeing a hawkes article and thinking..wow!!

Reply #2438 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Actually, I recall seeing Boti write a few articles about Hawkes, never in a negative light, I think the worst comment was about being "the oldest rookie in the league" (which he was!).

Be interesting to note how many journalism degrees we have on the forum :)

Reply #2451 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think I've bagged Boti before for his negative write-up of the all-Sydney NBL final series (everyone else seemed to think it was a pretty decent set of games), but you can't take away the fact that he is a quality writer. The jokes can get a bit predictable, but there's nothing like consistency for improving your personal branding! How many journalists are known by so many by their first name alone?

I wouldn't sack Boti, and whoever writes the reviews and previews of the ABL rounds does a great job too -- but who hears about it? Start up a mailing list that gets it out to the fans. Currently, it's only sent to the coaches, presidents, etc (AFAIK).

Reply #2463 | Report this post

Sack Boti  
Years ago

Is it possible to start a poll to hand to Boti to show just how poor he is for SA Basketball?

We could use this forum to vote.

Surely we have a young talented writer in the Basketball community who could step in and liven things up.

Get something started Isaac.

Reply #2480 | Report this post

Zimmerman  
Years ago

I am sure that Boti writes a lot more articles about basketball than is printed. I don't think our complaint should be with the journalist but rather with the sporting editors of the Advertiser and Sunday Mail who unfortunately cannot see past football in the winter and cricket in the summer. I think Geoff Roach of the Sunday Mail and former basketball with Norwood is the biggest stumbling block that we have in getting the right amount of press that basketball at all levels deserves.

Reply #2489 | Report this post

I disagree with the posters claiming that Boti is a good writer.

Take todays articles in the advertiser under his 'Hang Time' column is a 'typical' example.
The article on Vera Craig was excellent

140 words joking about Yao Ming. What a waste of space.
Who cares????
Sure he is having a go at the NBL commssioner - but hasn't he raised this several times over many months.

A fan poll about Wollongong's all time MVP, the weekly derogatory reference to Ronaldson(Kingma, Giddey). Woopy de doo.

As normal you have another go at Sydney - as per every Hang Time. Boti you have an inferiority complex.

Boti, there is a Grand Final coming up!!!!
Surely in your 'Hang Time' column this week you could have featured more prominantly the state league grand finals & not Burton, Yao, Ronaldson & Norman Taylor.

Reply #2498 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Does Boti read/post in this forum? There is a fair bit of constructive criticism for him to consider!

While I enjoy the barbs at the likes of Kingma/Giddey/Ronaldson, I think they are best left to a couple of lines at the end of the article, not littered all the way through it.

Reply #2506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you all happy about Boti's article in Fridays paper?

Good enough for you?

Reply #2606 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Gee, on Thirsdays paper I noticed a 3/4 page article on the Grand Final, more so focussing on Woodville, and Basketball in South Australia's matriach, Vera Craig, and her brave battle with cancer.

Perhaps you missed that "little" article, complete with a colour photo of Vera bed ridden giving the boys the "thumbs up".

Unfortunately, not everyone is aware of the great competition provided by ABA, and as such Boti also has to write for these people, which is why Hang Time is always more NBL related. As for the "jokes" he litters through, I think it is slightly clever to come out with different one liners on the same sibject (Yao this week), but it is always the way he has written those columns.

You know what, there is one easy way not to be offended or upset with what Boti does or does not write. DONT READ HIS ARTICLES.

Reply #2610 | Report this post

No it wasn't good enough for me.
I pick up the messenger & can read better write ups on u/14 football players.

As I mentioned in an earlier post the article on Vera was excellent.

I find it slightly annoying that Boti tries to find humour in every paragraph.
Italy beat the U.S the night before but no mention of that. Huge news in the world of b'ball but Boti chooses to ignores that to grab a few giggles.

If Boti wants to be funny than start writing comics, do a show at the Fringe, wear a red nose & large shoes.

The write up for the weekends Grand Final in the Sunday Mail was the same size (small) as if it was any other game.

Reply #2645 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:48 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754