Damrob
Years ago

Darebin Return to Big V

Hear a rumour that the club has been looking to make a return to the Big V for season 2014.

Anyone got any info on this?

Topic #30811 | Report this topic

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Won't happen, no money, no juniors, no club foundation, Fiddes put money in 10 years back and once the Vic Giants folded there was no more, now the club has evaporated.

Reply #404302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have one u20 boys and a u20 girls team in pool 2 and 1 U16b team in regional 1, hardly a basis to return to Big V. The place is a joke and was killed by terrible administrators and a lack of vision.
They will NEVER recover from the damage done by the comittee and two people in particular who hav obviously left some time ago. Even the club stalwart, Sabba has left and is no longer involved at any club.
They should have merged with Coburg yrs ago when they had the chance.

Reply #404325 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Does anyone at Darebin actually have something to add, maybe to confirm or deny the rumor?

Reply #404327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They where never a real stable club in terms of financial means, and where running on the effort that Sabba (mark sabbadini) had put it too make them even noticeable. Although they did go through a purple patch it terms of talent. Likes of Maalo Hicks (now with Corio Bay) playing all his juniors there, Brett Meredith playing all his juniors there (Went on to play AFL football at Sydney though), Sammy Gazzo playing a couple of years of Big V there (Now with DV champ men I believe) and also Matt Reynolds played most of his juniors there too I've heard? (Now playing champ men at DV also).

Reply #404342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My little bro plays u20 at Darebin and I can confirm its on the radar. Not sure if for next year or the year after tho. The club is talking bout it a bit.

Reply #404422 | Report this post

Damon  
Years ago

What does it mater about Darebin having 'x' number of junior teams? How many do Melbourne Uni have?

Reply #404425 | Report this post

xxx  
Years ago

Be good if they did return! There are plenty of players to draw on from that area

Reply #404445 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

What is the issue with Melbourne Uni Damon?

Reply #404448 | Report this post

Damon  
Years ago

No issue, just saying that they do well with out having a number of junior teams under them. Therefore Darebin's success should not be predicted based on junior programs

Reply #404455 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Melbourne Uni came into the league under different rules than what exist now. If a club like Melbourne Uni applied now they would be knocked back straight away.

Reply #404456 | Report this post

Damon  
Years ago

Rhetorical question.

Reply #404457 | Report this post

Damon  
Years ago

Correct me if I am wrong but, the 'rules' relate to the status of being an association current with basketball Victoria requirements. That's why we lost Monash Uni

There is no set quota listed for junior teams to obtain entry. For the most part Melton have only had 2-4 teams during their time in the big v.

Reply #404459 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

ok, got that Damon. thanks. No idea on the association rules stuff except that I thought to be an association you needed to run a competition - I prsume the uni nruns a student comp?

Reply #404461 | Report this post

xxx  
Years ago

Be good if they did return! There are plenty of players to draw on from that area

Reply #404475 | Report this post

Damon  
Years ago

Yeah MU run a comp out of the facility on campus. Not sure how good the standard is or how many teams or anything. Darebin have a few comp that they run relatively well

Reply #404477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Techinically speaking Darebin are still part of the Big V. Once they get in they are able to take 'non-playing membership' for I think up to 5 years.

Reply #404599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Techinically speaking Darebin are still part of the Big V. Once they get in they are able to take 'non-playing membership' for I think up to 5 years.

Reply #404600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How long have they been out for?

Reply #404603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Darebin can return next season without going thru the "new team" process after that they need to apply again.
XXX. If you think there are planty of good players then why isnt Coburg in a better situation ?
It takes more than having 10 or 12 good players to make a Big V club and Darebin dont have what it takes anymore. The domestic comp is terrible they have NO juniors and the YMCA controls the stadium and has a very restricive deal with the Assoc.
Stop pissing in the wind as all your going to get is wet and smelly.

Reply #404632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coburg are so poorly managed they will never improve their position!

As someone who knows a little about Darebin I'm going to say it would be possible, not easy but definitely possible.

Plus no body said it was for next season...

Reply #404634 | Report this post

TheFansMan  
Years ago

I was involved in the latest push to enter a big V team in the competition for Darebin. We had some good players that were going to form the basis for the team and then complete the roster with try-outs. There were plans for days the team could help out the juniors and fund raising stuff. A sponsorship prospectus was completed and we were about to approach potential sponsors when the committee shot the whole thing down. Apparently they said that it was a lot of work (too much in other words) and all a little bit too hard.

So it all fell apart.

Reply #406820 | Report this post

TheFansMan  
Years ago

We also had coaches and some volunteers lined up. But the committee (which sounds like a bit of a shambles and not all that interested in taking the club in the right direction) didn't want to support it.

Reply #406821 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Plenty of clubs out there were they only have seniors becuase it is the right thing to do rahter than actually supporting them and using it as a real pathway!

Reply #406826 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Another example of politics in Basketball. Where does the committee want the graduating VJBL players to go?

To "TheFansMan" keep your head up. Try again soon dont let it destroy your club.

My club the committee knocked it back twice before we went in, no they say it is the best thing ever...

Reply #406893 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Another example of politics in Basketball. Where does the committee want the graduating VJBL players to go?

To "TheFansMan" keep your head up. Try again soon dont let it destroy your club.

My club the committee knocked it back twice before we went in, no they say it is the best thing ever...

Reply #406894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Tom"- Darebin dont have graduating junior players.

For that club to to any better than what it is now they need to get at least 3 U12 boys and girls teams going with a 50/50 mix of top and bottom age. Only then will they have a basis to move forward. You could also make a couple of bottom age 14's with out needing to get kids from other VJBL clubs. All it takes is people willing to work at it but they dont exist at Darebin.

Reply #406898 | Report this post

Green 99  
Years ago

Do we know if Darebin will try to re-enter next year?

Reply #406951 | Report this post

Titan  
Years ago

Talking to someone at the Darebin and it sounds like the club will try for entry in 2014

Reply #407514 | Report this post

Titan  
Years ago

Talking to someone at the Darebin and it sounds like the club will try for entry in 2014

Reply #407515 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:05 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754