clarky
Years ago

Turkoglu drug test: 20 game suspension

Hedo Turkoglu of the Orlando Magic has recieved a 20 game suspension after a positive test for a form of anabolic steroid.

The NBA said Turkoglu tested positive for methenolone, an anabolic steroid. He will begin serving the suspension Wednesday night in Orlando's game against the Atlanta Hawks.

The claim was made by Turkoglu that he medication from a trainer in Turkey during the offseason to recover from a shoulder innjury, and was unaware of the medication being on the NBA's banned substances list.

"I take full responsibility for anything that goes into my body," the 33-year-old from Turkey said in his statement. "This was a complete error in judgment on my part and I apologize to the Orlando Magic organization, the league, my teammates, and the Magic fans. I know I have let down a lot of people and I am truly sorry for my mistake."

The Orlando Magic organisation stated that they fully support Turkoglu's statement that this positive test was a result of an honest mistake, and they will continue to educate their players about the 125 items on the banned substances list.

ESPN Article

Topic #30815 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lately he wasn't exactly performing like Lance Armstrong so he is telling the truth perhaps.

Reply #404333 | Report this post

Dr6  
Years ago

Does he book a spot on Oprah too?

Reply #404340 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Hird-o Turkoglu.

Reply #404341 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

He is Turkish, Did anyone expect anything different.

Reply #404344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And what are you Triton ? a sore looser Greek ?

Reply #404349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

20 game suspension? What is that, a month or less?

There are a lot of professional sports which will have a rocky life over the next few years...

Reply #404355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What i find interesting or for want of a better word "absent" is no comment regarding a 2 year ban from WADA. methenolone is on the banned substance list, he get's 20 games in the NBA....But what about National Duties for Turkey etc? Shouldnt he get a 2 year ban from that?

Reply #404357 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Well looking at his averages this year of 3p 2r 2ast
they were definately NOT performance enhancing that's for sure.

Reply #404358 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

What happens to his Silver medal at the 2010 FIBA world championship?

Reply #404386 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

I remember when Rashard Lewis was tested positive for a banned drug and was suspended for 10 games a couple of years ago. Charles Barkley commented, that he didn't believe that steroid use was widespread in the NBA.

Reply #404404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Curtley, he was tested in December 2012..... that might be slightly after the horse has bolted regarding winning silver in 2010!!!!!!

Reply #404409 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Marion jones didn't test positive at the 2000 Olympics though did she?

Reply #404443 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

@David Anyone who reckons PEDs do not help basketballer's (and yes there are plenty of people who have said that) just needs to look at Lewis's stats before and after the drug ban.

@Triton95 Yes, i expected different. Heroin perhaps?

Reply #404482 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

it's an interesting case.

NBA runs its own drug code and is not signed up to WADA. However, US Basketball is a member of FIBA which is required by the IOC as an Olympic Sport to apply and enforce the WADA Code to its members. NBA is affiliate member of US Basketball.

Does Turkey have an international competition approaching this year?

Normally Turkoglou under the WADA Code would be banned for minimum two years (unless he could prove an exception, which would half the ban).

Reply #404492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Curtley, the article states he took the medicine this Off Season for a shoulder injury. How do you reference that to the Worlds 2 years earlier?

Reply #404526 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

I don't but Lance Armstrong's tests during his cycling career were 'clean' and i would have thought if for example someone wins a medal at one olympics then subsequently gets caught for taking a banned substance (even years later) that they would be stripped of that medal. My reasoning isn't that ridiculous.

Reply #404538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But that does not occur. Armstrong though was found to have doped during his Tour d France wins.

Hedo as been found guilty, tested positive to a banned substance that he has admitted he unwittingly took to overcome a shoulder injury. You would expect that if he had taking this medicine previously he would have also tested positive previously at either FIBA competitions or with the NBA.

Hence why i direct you back to the article stating he took it this off season. No one is calling Hedo a drug cheat like Armstrong, but i was wondering what affect it would have on his eligibility to play for Turkey from this point on.

Reply #404539 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

I'm not saying he's a drug cheat or that he took the banned substance during the wcs, just trying to find out what rules apply.

Reply #404782 | Report this post

dribbler  
Years ago

I don't care who you are, if your a professional athlete playing any kind of sport at that level you know what you are and what you aren't allowed to use.
Hear this excuse every time an athlete proves positive.

Reply #404902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Triton 95, Turkey is everything Greece is not, get over it.

Reply #404983 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

From what I understand, the NBA have a policy where they can only test a player 4 times during any season.

So after the 4th test, it's party time...they can use and abuse as many drugs as they want without worrying about being tested.

I don't know how many players would actually get tested as many as 4 times in a season though, so you'd think that this wouldn't apply to most players.

There is an interesting chat on the 13/02 BS Report between Chuck Klosterman and Bill Simmons about PEDS in the NBA. they also talk about Royce White. http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/podcast/archive?id=2864045

Reply #404990 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:13 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754