Very Old
Years ago

Graf - out of Opals -

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/graf-sticks-with-capitals-leaving-opals-20130214-2ee4a.html

Personally I think she was well past her use by date. Not a high achiever in comparison to the immediate previous two incumbents, better than Robbie Caddee, about on a par with Brendan Flynn.

Topic #30823 | Report this topic

cat  
Years ago

great news...Erin for Rio

Reply #404463 | Report this post

Guns  
Years ago

Still cannot believe she did nopt have Phillips in her team. Dumbest coach ever...after clarke lol

Reply #404497 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I have been unimpressed with Graf at the Opals for a long time now, so it was wiht great relief that I saw the official news come through this morning.
The Opals are now back in the hunt for silver at the 2014 WC's :D

Reply #404503 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-sport/opals-and-boomers-to-have-new-coaches-20130214-2ee8o.html

Maher not applying, but is backing 2 of the other applicants - Molloy & Buckle.
(I don't mind the thought of Molloy either FWIW)

Interesting to see Paul Roos on the selection panel. I like that kind of thinking. Awesome coach, and does know his basketball too. Interesting also to see Jan Stirling on it. She should select herself. We could do a lot worse :p

Reply #404509 | Report this post

aristotle  
Years ago

buckle for me

Reply #404517 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Stirling was also on the selection/advisory panel for the search that brought Clarke to Adelaide.

Does she coach anywhere herself? If not, anyone know the reason? Better opportunities elsewhere?

Reply #404540 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

YEEESSSSSSSSS

Reply #404553 | Report this post

Showtime  
Years ago

Might be a bit left field but what about Harrower as she basically coaching Bendigo?
She has international playing experience and with a couple of good assistant she could do the job no worries....
Get some new blood in, fresh start

Reply #404646 | Report this post

Mark Wright as Head Coach

Harrower Timms as Assistants

Reply #404653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is Harrower new blood? Please can we have real new blood not Maher/Stirling/Graf clones. Someone without history with the player group who will make decisions based on ability and performance?

Reply #404673 | Report this post

well that only leaves Mark Wright

Reply #404695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe basketball does exist outside Australia and the WNBL. I am pretty sure that we will nt be playing world champs against a domestic team.

Reply #404704 | Report this post

easy to be critical say who you believe should get the job

Reply #404706 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I would be happy to see Michelle Timms take the job and stamp her authority on the team.

But anyone that has the confidence that they will bring us Olympic Gold has my vote. I don't want anybody who doesn't see that as a realistic goal

Reply #404770 | Report this post

Timms will one day I hope make a great coach but needs to get a head coaching job first

A name from left Field Sandy Brondello any thoughts

Reply #404803 | Report this post

Guns  
Years ago

olaf as coach : )

Reply #404850 | Report this post

Dr J  
Years ago

Sandy Brondello. Absolutely.
Peter Buckle if she doesn't want it.

Reply #404857 | Report this post

Years ago

Brondello would be right up there and knows the USA girls game styles / moves. I like buckle he can get the best out of our top tier players.

Reply #404858 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Hmmm there may be a NBL head coach who might be better suited to the more structured nature of a female program, especially one who has national program experience. That's of course if he does have an NBL coaching job anymore.

Reply #404863 | Report this post

Good to see support for Sandy.....let her pick her own assistants

Hopefully for the 1st time australian women could play an in your face press full court

Also need to introduce some outside shooting to the team

Reply #404877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sandy is a fantastic option played and coached at the highest level. Will come with her own mind and ideas and sees the Americans up close all the time. Hard pressed to think of anyone that compares actually. Buckle is a good coach but has close to the biggest budget. Take Baktovic out and is he still such a good coach??

Reply #404884 | Report this post

In light of a new coach...should all possible players for the womens national team be offered contracts so that they still recieve their payments hence putting australia's program ahead of where it has been in the past.

ie Offer Jackson Taylor Phillips and Cambidge a contract for the next 3 years to represent Australia

Then start looking at what we need to build a team around these 4 so we can have a res hot go at the next Olympic Gold Medal

Reply #405278 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Gold?? Are USA not sending a team to Rio?

Reply #405343 | Report this post

Phadreus  
Years ago

The word around the traps is that Molloy has already been given the job but BA forgot to follow its due diligence and interview.

Awkies

Reply #405347 | Report this post

Recyled appointments again

Reply #405457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is it odd that one, the better women don't go for the job and two, the worst men do?

Reply #405495 | Report this post

So true anonymous

Molley experience does not justify the appointment

What can he bring ...is this another case of jobs for the boys

Reply #405656 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:26 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754