TR
Years ago

Trade talk: Dwight for Rondo

This is some talk about a Dwight for Rondo trade..

Boston want a guarantee that Dwight will sign up long term.

Would LA be happy and do this knowing that Rondo is out for the rest of the season and part of the next season.

Given the failed Dwight experience in LA, I'm wondering how much truth there is in all this, but
Ainge has shot this down, but it smells of an Ainge trade.

IMO Boston should do this trade everyday of the week. Championships aren't won from the PG position.

Topic #30843 | Report this topic

BJF  
Years ago

also Garnett to Clippers for ....

Reply #404873 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

didnt nash signed for at LA for 5 years
didnt KG sign for 3 years at bos

Reply #404875 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

Never going to happen. Name the last trade LA and Boston made with each other. LA never get screwed on trades, this is just bs from reporters trying to get coverage on allstar weekend. Why would LA do that???

If they were going after someone injured they would go for Kevin Love not Rondo besides Rondo is not the man to lead the Lakers into the next phase.

Gasol for Rondo yes LA would do it

Dwight, Meeks and Blake for Lopez and Deron Williams LA would do it.

There's more chance of Iverson playing for LA than Rondo

Reply #404880 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

August 6, 2004: The Los Angeles Lakers traded Rick Fox, Gary Payton and a 2006 1st round draft pick (Rajon Rondo) to the Boston Celtics for Chucky Atkins, Jumaine Jones and Chris Mihm.

Wow!

Reply #404885 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Agree with JOaRiDrAN. I can't think many trades between LAL and BOS including more than the equivalent of bench warmers, 2nd round picks and cash, let alone Howard/Rondo-caliber players!

"Championships aren't won from the PG position." - You're clearly still living in the 1950's...

Reply #404891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smith, Nash signed a 3 year deal with the Lakers.

Reply #404897 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Not saying I believe, but where there is smoke there is usually fire..

Being honest, the Dwight in LA saga has been a nightmare. He's thrown the Lakers, Mike D doesn't know how to coach anything bar run and gun, and while Kobe is still awesome, he's declining.

I can really see Boston trying to blow it up.

Move KG to the Clips for Bledsoe and Jordan.

Move Rondo to the Lakers for Dwight.

I can see the advantages on both trades.

Reply #404904 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

"a 2006 1st round draft pick (Rajon Rondo)"

He wasn't actually drafted by Boston. This pick was next traded to Atlanta, who traded it to Phoenix, who drafted Rondo, who traded his rights to Boston.

Reply #404906 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Was interested in the Championships aren't won from the PG position comment. Hopefully my history and quick references are right.

2012 Miami - Chalmers
2011 Mavs - Kidd
2010 Lakers - Fisher
2009 Lakers - Fisher
2008 Celtics - Rondo
2007 Spurs - Parker
2006 Heat - ? Payton
2005 Spurs - Parker
2004 Pistons - Billups
2003 Spurs - Parker
2002 Lakers - Fisher

All pretty big names. CP, Rose, Kyrie, Westbrook, Curry i think all have potential to carry a championships from the PG spot

Reply #404908 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

Garnett's already ruled out the trade to the Clippers. He is only one of four players who have a no-trade clause in his contract. I think it's refreshing that Garnett is not bailing out on the team. Remember Garnett stayed all those years in Minnesota. It was the Timberwolves that wanted to part ways, which eventually received Garnett's blessing.

Players today don't hold playing for one team there whole carrer in any high regard as being special. (Dwight Howard, Chris Paul, Carmello Anthony, Lebron James etc)

Reply #405028 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Well Mark Murphy (used to be a reporter for Boston Herald) said that Dwight for Rondo was discussed weeks back before Rondo's injury, but I don't think it would have gone very far. The Lakers would be stupid to trade Dwight again just after they shipped out Bynum for him. They just need to be patient and wait for him to fully heal his injuries. Mitch Kupchak has also been pretty clear in saying that there have been no Dwight-Rondo discussions.

I think there's a possibility KG would accept a trade to the Clippers. If Ainge makes it clear to him that he wants to rebuild and that Pierce has a good trade destination he is happy with, I could see KG making one last run at a title with Blake, CP3 and old friend Chauncey.

Bledsoe and Jordan is a pretty good offer for KG at this point, but I hope Ainge doesn't do it. I like this team as it is and would like to see Pierce and KG make one final run before retiring in Green.

I think the team would be better off doing that and then tanking next season to get as high a pick as possible. Trading for decent players just puts them in no mans land: too good to get decent draft picks, but not good enough to challenge for a title.

Reply #405031 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The last PG to win a Finals MVP was Parker in 2007.

Prior to that was Billups in 2004, and prior to that we go all the way back to 1990 with Isiah Thomas. Dumars was the 89 winner.

MVP's are a little easier for the PG. Derrick Rose in 10/11, Steve Nash going back-to-back in 04/05 and 05/06. AI in 00/01 and then all the way back to Magic in 89/90.

Interesting debate...

Reply #405044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And the oh so great Steve Nash has never even played a single NBA Finals game in his career, there's a reason for that.

On the trade talk what the hell were the Celtics thinking last offseason giving Garnett a 3 year deal AND a no-trade clause, madness.

Reply #405052 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

He was going to retire rather than sign and go through the same things that Ray Allen had. They offered it to Ray too but he was pissed about all the times he was in trade discussions so he left to go to Miami

Reply #405068 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

The Celtics would have signed KG to that deal knowing two things:
- He will probably retire if he drops off to the point he is no longer a dominant player.
- They can always amnesty him if he somehow goes Vin Baker on them (never going to happen)

So no real risk signing him to that deal.

Reply #405115 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

They can't amnesty him, he signed the deal after the lockout

Reply #405178 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

@Smith Both Nash & Garnett are on 3 year contracts. But can I ask, what does that have to do with anything?

Reply #405214 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:41 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754