natwhereyouat
Years ago

Flynn's comments about Thursday night

Here they are >>

Thoughts?

Topic #30922 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

he held back a little but said it all, wouldn't be the first player to be of those opinions either.

Reply #406117 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

He is talking about the weather isn't he?

Reply #406122 | Report this post

themvpiskb24  
Years ago

He will get fined, but the $1000 fine for him will be more than worth it to get the message across.

Reply #406124 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

Junktime Johnny has a beef?

The Sixers have the same problem on their HOME court.

It's alright for it to happen in Melbourne but it hurts like hell when it happens to you away.

Reply #406125 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Its a shame that this stuff doesnt get talked about more. Need to fix this shit

Reply #406127 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Anstey is wrong about "no clear path foul" in the Nbl
The NBL run Fiba rules, right?

Breakaway foul is a Fiba interpretation, right?

So, no one between the player with the ball and the basket in a situation where there has been a turn over means you can not foul at all from behind or along side the player, right?

Perhaps Jonny & Chris should understand the rules b4 playing the blame game for being defeated by Perth

Besides I think the officials were all from Victoria????

Reply #406129 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

36.1.4 Unsportsmanlike foul If a defensive player causes contact with an opponent from behind or laterally in an attempt to stop a fast break and there is no opponent between the offensive player and the opponents' basket, then the contact shall be judged to be unsportsmanlike.

Reply #406131 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Anstey showing once again he is the worst coach in the league, how can a coach not know a simple rule like that?

Idiot who's out of his depth coaching NBL.

Reply #406136 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

i think Flynn should look at his own game before critising the calls made against him.

Half of the turnovers he created were because he was trying to be too cute with the ball and Martin is too smart for that. Simple.

No need for the hissy fit on the court. Just play the game, stop blaming everyone but yourself

Reply #406138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is awesome that they are saying something. Games in perth have gotten so bad that i cant even watch them. Id rather just find out who won. It sucks that the officiating has gotten to this point cause i love seeing perth play in a tight game, especially with that huge crowd.

Reply #406139 | Report this post

Cats82  
Years ago

So how do adelaide manage to win all the time here? Do they bring there own refs? Plain and simple, 1st game at the arena the 36ers made the plays and they knocked down the shots! Flyn is a pussy! All ass no class! Its been the same in perth since i remember any team cant win here! Its all ways the same ppl complain! Walker bubbles and flyn! If they gave the ball to ballinger they might have won! Just sick of complaing about the refs, just go back and play in the nba if ure that gd! Martin got him hands down and he couldnt take the heat! And it was the refs fault but if they won it wouldve been a differnt story!

Reply #406141 | Report this post

Uncle fester  
Years ago

I don't want Flynn to get fined. It may piss him off and he leaves Nbl.

Reply #406143 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

It this a case of self fulfilled prophecy?

What I heard: "We believed we're gonna get screwed over even before we got here ". Of what I've seen: "we'll do everything to ensure we do".

Fair point about the Sixer's attitude "we believe we can beat Perth in Perth".

Reply #406152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anybody actually think he will be back in the NBA next year?

I would be highly surprised.

Reply #406156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have to take this with salt and a giggle surely. "Outside factors" this, "everyone knows" that. Sound like a crackpot.

Say what you mean! "This needs to be looked at", he says. And what done about it? Are you blaming home town referees? They already import eastern states refs for the game (this is probably counterproductive as they are less used to the conditions and deprives you of advancement opportunities for WA SBL refs). Is it the crowd? Do you want NBL by-laws that prohibit a Perth crowd from making noise, play the game behind closed doors?

Or are you alleging that, oh I don't know, we're sabotaging you with food poisoning or something!?

I'm not saying its aliens but ... Aliens!

Reply #406157 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

What message is Flynn getting across here? His team were severely outplayed and lacked discipline. Why even attempt to make it about anything else?

I'm kind of getting sick of the ref blaming after every Perth game. There are six underperforming teams in the league this year. That isn't the refs fault. They are undisciplined, lack structure and professionalism and just blame everyone and everything else.

Reply #406161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

stop breathing into the damm microphhone.

Reply #406168 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

Oh please FFS! Stop making excuses Johnny Boy, did you think you were going to come in to the NBL & dominate everyone & no-one could put their hands on you? Try getting some of your team mates an open/easy look instead of show boating with your handles. No wonder you were a bust in the NBA & bounced out of the league within 3 years!

The Melbourne Tigers = Biggest Whingers in NBL!

Reply #406176 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

SamCro, could not have said it better myself!

Reply #406177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good point Cats82!

Reply #406206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely he cant be saying that the refs are so feeble minded that they get intimidated by the crowd???

Reply #406207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon they are just foxing so they can get some better calls when they meet perth in the playoffs. Its not gonna work johnny!

Reply #406209 | Report this post

Rhea 82  
Years ago

Is this after the game they lost by 25?

Reply #406212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers complaining about things being unfair. Were they not the team that rorted the salary cap for years?

Reply #406259 | Report this post

Dizzy  
Years ago

I love to see him telling it like it is.

I stopped attending Adelaide games (before they lost 9 straight) because I have just developed a deep hatred for the NBL. Mostly because of the refereeing! I'm pretty sure (no exaduration) that every single 36ers home game at one point breaks out into deafening boo's because of consecutive terrible calls/no calls, for both teams. It's just always terrible officiating. I get so mad that I just have to leave.

For anyone that wants to know, the other reasons I hate the league is because there is no draft like in the NBA and you can't foresee what teams are on the rise because it changes every year.

And secondly, it's like the entire NZ national team vs. the boomers split up into 7 teams, without most of the boomers players. It's stupid.

Sorry but our league is terrible.

Reply #406378 | Report this post

Dizzy  
Years ago

Oh and I'm not defending the 36ers. They are terrible and it kills me inside to watch them play. Even when they start winning again I won't be going, it's like a lingering disappointment.

Reply #406379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Dizzy
Haha, I can't believe the number of people that call that "telling it like it is".

He gave one instance of definitively saying "8 on 5" but then talked "outside influences", "outside influences", "no one talks about this", "does Perth kidnap refs" but he never, ever actually quantifies what these outside factors he thinks he is dealing with are.

He's not telling it straight, he's having a whinge because he lost. Just another ref-blaming, self-excusing tool.

If he wanted to tell it like it was, he could have started with exactly what he thinks these outside factors are.

This isn't even a basketball thing.

It's an Australian thing. As a nation we are morons when it comes to judging, grading and establishing some sort of reasonable mark for where a human referee/umpire should be. Everyone seems to set "microscopic x-ray vision cyborg with instant replay capacity within skull" for their mark, even as we watch players pass the ball out of bounds or trip over their own feet on layup attempts. This nation, across all sports, is full of morons when it comes to referee assessments.

Reply #406380 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Exaduration?

Reply #406381 | Report this post

Dizzy  
Years ago

I don't care if he's just whining or that he lost, I just know that our officials are at a terrible standard. Even though he's being a sore loser, he's still right about the refs. Even if they won he could have made the same comments and everyone would agree that the refs are terrible haha

Reply #406504 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Dizzy - but he didnt win. and he played supremely poorly. which makes it look like he's having a whine and blaming the refs for a below average game then taking ownership and putting his hand up and saying "i had a bad one, sorry i let you down guys"

the fact that he refuses to name these "outside forces" also does not sit well with me. If he names them, he has a point. Doesn't, it looks like he's making up things to back his case

Reply #406509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, they're not at a terrible standard.

They're at an NBL standard. Higher than a SBL standard. Lower than an NBA standard.

We are an eight team league with a $1m salary cap, representing a nation of 22m where basketball is at best 5th on the totem pole.

We have an appropriate standard of referee for the standard of the league. Stop freaking the hell out people.

Reply #406514 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

But the Wildcats are winning. It must be the refs fault!

Reply #406526 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

The 'clear path foul', or 'unsportsmanlike foul' especially on a player who is exposing his body and risking a bad fall if he/she is knocked over while trying to score a lay-up or dunk is just not called often enough IMO...

Say it happen several times on the weekend at country champs in Bendigo, under 18's especially!

It is just too inconsistent, but it is too dangerous to be inconsistently called, so what's the problem, is it the referees or the rule??

Seems like the rule is quite clear to me, so maybe it's that other thing that no one can talk openly about, without copping a fine anyway......!

Reply #406569 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

'saw it happen...'

Reply #406570 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

No punishment for Flynn. Weak from the NBL.

Reply #406712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terrible, terrible decision, even if you agreed with him in principle. You cannot allow open season on refs.

Reply #406725 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Amazing that he went unfined.

Reply #406728 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

8 on 5 means only 1 thing. should have got fined, but now it be open season on refs because you cant fine the next person who says it

Reply #406734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For certain, what's to stop the next person who thinks they got a bung call from deflecting from his performance by crying 8 on 5? What is the NBL going to do? "Oh, its fine for an import, but you should know better"?

Reply #406736 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:43 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754