orbit
Years ago

Cairns vs Townsville, Feb 22

It was a great game last night. TV were up by 14 at one stage in the 3rd & then Alex loughton decided to pull out a perfect half of basketball! Both sides hit big shots down the stretch. It was interesting Woolpert stuck with Rusty in the 4th even though his shooting was ice cold. The last play by TV to tie it up was a dud & a shot didn't even go up. Neville was benched in the 4th & seemed to sook a lot all game. Basketball far from dead in the far north...

Topic #30924 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

rename your title dick. Thanks for ruining the game for me

Reply #406137 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Pro-tip: stay off forums and BASKETBALL sites to best avoid spoilers...

Reply #406153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or people should not put spoilers in title. I came here to talk about the 36ers vs hawks game. Or should I stay clear till I see all the games for the round. The site should have some rules to the side so it doesn't happen.

Reply #406159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon shut up.

Reply #406165 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Townsville are soooooooft. Too many players with serious effort problems to go with their limited skillsets.

From here on out, from a fan's perspective, it's probably best if they finish on a sour note so the necessary cuts are easier to make this offseason. Sad but true.

Reply #406169 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Also, way to go Woolpert, your recent strategy of benching your only inside target and a premier free throw shooter to boot for entire fourth quarters is not paying dividends...

I thought we won that last Cairns game DESPITE nevill sitting through the fourth and both OTs, not BECAUSE of it.

Woolpert seems like he would be great with a roster full of seasoned pros, but he isn't good at getting production and effort from average players.

Reply #406170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How good was it with Wilson passing in the clutch part of the game for once instead of taking a 1 on 3 contested lay up?

Reply #406171 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Most people do it. Some don't. Risk is in your hands, ultimately.

Reply #406174 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

If I dont want to know results I stay away from all social media, websites and news reports. Can't shoot the messenger.

Reply #406178 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

It's only commom sense to stay off media if u don't wanna know result. U R a tool anon!!

Reply #406182 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

nice to win a close one at home for a change!!!

i heard that neville sat out the final part because of his inability to defend the pick and roll.....when you have a unit like that at your disposal you need to use it.

neville held trigger to 1 from 8.....blocked 3 of his shots and made him change the other 4.

you just can't have that sitting on the bench in crunch time.

Reply #406208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who was our premier FT shooter that was on the bench?

I'm with you on the rest though - Woolpert is amazingly dumb considering his basketball coaching resume

Reply #406227 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Woolpert just can't get his rotations right with Hinder AND Holmes in the lineup, for some reason.

I'm also worried about his constant inability to get even a passable effort out of his players. How much does the "effort" area fall on the coach and how much falls on the slack individuals though?

Nevill can defend the P&R as good as any of our bigs. He is an underrated defender and what he lacks in footspeed he makes up for with defensive IQ and sheer size. Woolpert (along with several other NBL coaches this season) makes too many substitutions. There is no need to have your 9th and 10th man getting on the court most games, let alone in the first quarter of a tight contest. Ervin, Nevill and Blanchfield should ALL be averaging well into the thirties in terms of MPG.

On a side note: are PC's days as a starter over? He is just too turnover prone to be getting the minutes that he gets, his passing and dribbling ability are towards the bottom end of the league. Would like to see him employed like the Breakers use CJ, but I wonder with his mindset and negative approach to the game if that would enable him to produce...?

Once you figure out that the only person in TSV's starting five that can even remotely handle the ball is Gary Ervin, the Crocs are pretty easy to beat. Force them into making PC handle it for even a couple of minutes and you will get enough turnovers and fast break points to blow a game right open.

PC is just a turnover waiting to happen while Blanchfield, even though he negates it by not trying to force anything, could not cross over an armchair.

Reply #406250 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

@ Anon above I was referring to Luke Nevill (a fantastic free throw shooter for a guy of his size).

Get him the ball in the crunch and let him ice it from the line after guys foul him trying to stop him inside.

Reply #406251 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

And the other thing that falls out of benching Nevill in the last few fourth quarters: not only is it batshit insane, but we are in the middle of trying to negotiate a contract extension with the guy by convincing him that he is a big part of what we are trying to do here. It just boggles the mind. Going small against a small team is playing to their level, and on their terms. Woolpert just got flat outcoached.

Reply #406253 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Mick, if rusty hits one of those open shots, the result changes. Woolpert was probably a bit unlucky in that regard. That last play looked like it was designed to go inside to Rusty & then he kicks it out to the best open option. They almost threw it away. The 7 footer would have been harder to defend in that play. Considering Rusty couldn't buy a bucket, i would have injected Neville 4 sure. I don't think Woolpert is a fool however!

Reply #406262 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

He's no fool for sure. But this team certainly isn't for him. He needs older guys who don't need motivation.

How many times this season have the Crocs had a game-tying/winning shot attempt drawn up on a play and they haven't even ATTEMPTED the shot due to bad passing and ball-handling?!

It's about five, by my count. Inexcusable.

Reply #406279 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Fair call...

Reply #406291 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

coach woolpert feels hinder can defend the p & r better then neville....foot speed??

neville looks to be a pretty good defender....just ask trigger!!

you would think guarding the smaller player neville,s (supposed) slow foot speeed would be exposed,not that trigger is quick,but still...

Reply #406309 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Exactly Skull.

Basically now this season is over I want one thing: give Ervin and Nevill lots of time so they are comfortable enough playing on this roster to re-sign.

Then get rid of everyone not named Holmes, Norton, Blanchfield this offseason, and retain PC but shift him to the bench.

Reply #406334 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:53 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754