figjam
Years ago

Farley rejects Sixers offer

Nbl web site has a article saying Farley has rejected Sixers offer. He aint comin home folks!!!! Adelaide say they have several other exiting options available who they have been talking to but obviously not much money to pay them

Topic #3093 | Report this topic

figjam  
Years ago

Does anyone have any idea who the Sixers are going after? maybe a big man if Brett stayes???

Reply #35379 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Yeh! Whats goin on??? nothing on the sixers web page. suprise suprise

Reply #35381 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

I wonder if this was the original offer put to him ....??

The article mentions that he has rejected the April 12 offer .. hmmm ... trying to think positive here .. but MAYBE there will be 'another' offer .. that we do not yet know about that is being negotiated right now.
Note there was no comment from Farley's agent in the article ... *scratches head*

Reply #35383 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Channel 10 news just repoted Farley has not signed.
Even the channel 10 news team laughed about the saga

Reply #35385 | Report this post

wish I could dunk  
Years ago

Gawd you guys are impatient....lets wait till Willie says he has signed.....or not signed....or maybe signed....or maybe not signed......considering another offer....not considering...not getting another offer....

Reply #35387 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

This whole damm saga shows how the sixers are falling apart ... Really if he dosent sign they going to be way behind the eight ball and getting anthor player of the same quality ... Lets remember Brett isnt even signed yet The sixers excpect people to pay 325 dollars for season tickets on a team that dosent even have it best two players signed

Reply #35388 | Report this post

FMJ  
Years ago

brian wethers... anything less is a step down.

Reply #35390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rumour mill has that the sixers offered Maher the same deal as Farley, and is leaning to not re-sign.

Reply #35391 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

I'm with you FMJ.

Brian Wethers is the guy the 36ers should target to replace Farley.

Only problem is that his asking price as current MVP would be high.

Reply #35395 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

anon that rumour is false about maher

Reply #35396 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

As much as I want Farley back, it really is time to let him go and pursue the other options. They are playing cat and mouse games with him and that's not going to help the team. You have to make a tough stance and and stick to the deadline. The team has to be finalised and it has to done quickly because soon they need to start training. Trying to bring in a player at the last minute creates disharmony.

Reply #35398 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

Sorry to see Farley go, but time to move on... albeit moving on when everyone else has already arrived.

Has to be Wethers and nothing less as FMJ posted.

The article states other exciting players who contacted the club... can't think of any others who could possibly be exciting and high calibre enough left in the league who haven't signed, except Wethers.
Actually, there's also Robert Brown.

Reply #35403 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

They read some kinda statement on 5AA today from the 6ers as well saying it was sad it did not work out. I dont think we can look at a big man, our teams have always been run and gun. We need someone who can score from all areas on the court to keep that style up, look at the rogers period sure he was not that fit but we just dont play well with a big centre that demands the ball. Unless we can get a great shooter cheap i dont think its a good option.

Reply #35404 | Report this post

statue of liberty  
Years ago

wethers is an option is he?

Id love to see that man in Adelaide he would be a GREAT asset. I wouldnt get worried about Maher not signing yet he has played his career with us and everybody loves him he has absolutely no reason to leave. Being the captain, im pretty sure he will be offered a nice sal aswell.

Without Farley though is a big blow for the sixers, and i completely agree with your statement the truth

'The sixers excpect people to pay 325 dollars for season tickets on a team that dosent even have it best two players signed '

Couldn't agree more

Reply #35405 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I think if the Farley thing has fallen through we should look outside the square for a replacement. Send Phil over to the States to do some recruiting, he's got a knack for picking up quality imports that way (Farley & KB).

Although it's disappointing when a star import moves on it's a bloody exciting time when we're hunting for a new one. I remember when Farley came there were rumours about how quick he was, a few people had seen him and were impressed, then he dunked on Ben Thompson's head in his first game and our joy was complete.

Reply #35410 | Report this post

shaqdiddy  
Years ago

Don't worry about sending Phil over, I'm already in North Carolina, I'll start hunting right away ;)

Reply #35417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Sixers are going after Whethers. It says in todays paper that his contract would be more reasonable than Farley's.....interesting ??

Reply #35422 | Report this post

ashman  
Years ago

I thought it was an interesting comment about the NBA bargaining agreement in the paper. Are the 36ers expecting to get some NBA player over here because there is a possibility of a player lock out similar to the NHL.

Reply #35423 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

They wouldn't hang their season on the chance of a lock-out. Also, as soon as the lock-out ends, the players will leave. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing KG and Ginobili suiting up for the Sixers!

Reply #35426 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Am I the only one confused by the line that Wethers "would be on a more attractive contract coming to the 36ers"?

More attractive as in cheaper? I don't see how as Wethers has more NBA potential than Farley, and Farley could be offered a reduced package, but the attraction of three years to settle his family.

Or more attractive in that they're willing to pay more because he is a better player? If so, that just doesn't gel with the final sentence of the article "was asked to take a pay cut ... in order to fit under the $736,000 salary cap".

Reply #35430 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I was confused with that as well Isaac.

I think they were meaning that it was more attractive in terms of being cheaper etc. Well I'm hoping that's was was meant by it, otherwise the 6ers have really lost the plot.

A Wethers in the 6ers line-up could help to bring a few people back to the Dome. Well we can hope - if they get the ticket prices right.

Reply #35431 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

I think what they mean is that Wethers prob wasn't getting paid as much in Hunter as what the sixers have offered Willie.

I seriously doubt that the sixers would offer him more than they would Farley, that would be a discrace.

Good luck Willie...well miss ya!

ps We don't want Rob Brown when we have Dusty and Oscar

Reply #35432 | Report this post

saint Nick  
Years ago

Unless Weathers was willing to accept a lower package for the first year (Something Farley public rejected) and get renumerated with the rest on the back end of his contract. That could have been a much more attractive package to the basketball organization

Reply #35434 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why would Wethers accept a low-ball offer again just because he did it to get known in the league? He's a very strong player and unless he is scared of Europe or wants to settle somewhere kid-happy, I'm not sure he'd go with barely six figures while some of the guys on the east coast are getting max and not putting up numbers that match.

He'd be my top preference of the "known" options, so if the club can pull it off, good on them!

Reply #35439 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

Interesting times.

Billo's post above makes two very good points. Smyth does know how to scout good players from overseas. And bringing in a new player is always exciting.

Imports generally come cheaper in their first year in the NBL. I guess they come with the intention to prove themselves, and then expect that to bring them an increased salary the following year. There's been some good players come across at seemingly bargain price for the first year. Players like Farley, in his first year, Kings MVP Chris Williams, even Dusty Rychart.

At this stage we've just got to have faith in Smyth and Breheny. They haven't let us down yet when recruiting imports. Let's see what they come up with.

Reply #35441 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

And another thing.

I'd love to get Jayson Wells.

Not going to happen, but I can dream.

Reply #35442 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

What do people think about someone like Kevin Freeman???
I think him and Dusty would be a good tandem and he would help with our lack of "solid" big men.

Reply #35444 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think our deficiency is with someone that can go head to head with Bradtke and back-up or start ahead of Cooper. I don't think Freeman is that spot. Also, why would you get another forward while our guard ranks are currently:

Brad Hill (rookie, but capable)
Brett Maher (possibly)

That's it, unless you count Holmes and Nash because they can handle the ball a bit. If they can't buy Farley, they definitely can't afford Freeman (asking more than the max, is always the rumour).

Getting an unknown is a risky prospect, though there is that element of excitement, but it's still an unknown with fans umming and aahing over tickets.

Reply #35457 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I can not beleive that Willie has done this again.

Last time he held out for more money we did not agree to it and he ended up at West Sydney on less than what he was on here originally.

I think that whilst Willie is a great player that he does tend to over value himself.

Guards like that are common and it would make sense to me that we could get an "as good" or even better player for less money.

It is not like he is the only 6'3 guard with hops in the world.

Reply #35467 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

I think the line re Wethers meant that Wethers doesn't have as high an asking price as Farley.

I don't know much about him personally ie whether he has to support a family and kids but even if offered the same deal Farley rejected it could be attractive for him.

I think Hunter lucked out re Wethers and he was probably a bargain so 36ers offer would be a good increase. Hopefully for us for selfish reasons, Hunter's financial situation keeps them out of the running to re-sign him.

The teams that would throw maximum type salaries around are teams like Sydney, Brisbane and Townsville. All 3 are out of the running for someone like Wethers.

The rest of the NBL teams are pretty even and I can't see another team left that would have enough cap space to seriously compete with the 36ers.

If Wethers is keen to return to the NBL as opposed to Europe then it just might happen.

Higgins wouldn't have mentioned his name unless Smyth and Breheney had spoken to Wethers to gauge his interest so I think he is a definite possibility.

The fact Wethers is an outstanding defender as well as scorer will be a bonus, as is the fact he is versatile/strong enough to play multiple positions.

Reply #35468 | Report this post

wish I could dunk  
Years ago

Yeah the article was saying that Wethers would be better off financially taking the 36ers offer. Higher money than what he was on at Hunter. Soooooooooo lets go for that and get on with getting the team finalised. Whether or not he takes accepts the deal remains to be seen I guess

Reply #35481 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Do we replace Willie with Dix??

Reply #35482 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

Any truth to the rumour maher is leaning towards not signing due to the deal being pretty low ....

Reply #35489 | Report this post

foxtrot  
Years ago

Hey Kent, if we can't get Willie or Dix I guess we'll have to go for Stiff or Johnson. If all else fails maybe Johncock will switch from footy to bball.

Reply #35490 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

Did they actually mention his name, or was it the reporter who has probably gleamed it from this site and our postings

Reply #35494 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

No truth to the maher deal being low he has been offered the same as last season only difference is there is know european outclause,

but im deeply concerned that the 36ers have no contingency plan in place for the unthinkable of maher getting a european contract,

i can see it now hmm mahers gone what do we do , oh i know lets give j.williams a call and we can save another 150K so we can pay the basa debt

this administration has no desire to actively pursue a championship quality side they just hope it falls into play at a 50% discount

Reply #35496 | Report this post

Tomcat  
Years ago

(Mod: This post is not available.)

Reply #35503 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

Is selling really a good idea?

BASA exist for basketball. That's what they do.

What happens when a private owner decides they no longer want to own the 36ers, either because they aren't making enough money or another reason? Just shut up shop? Relocate to Newcastle? Change our name to the Giants and go with a budget team?

I want BASA to keep control but with better management. The BASA ownership thing worked for many years. Until recently it was never an issue.

Reply #35505 | Report this post

FMJ  
Years ago

unless i'm mistaken, other teams have been OK for a good length of time and survived changes of ownership - perth, melbourne, sydney, brisbane, etc..

one post you're for the exciting option of a new and unknown import and the next you're worried about making a change?

Reply #35506 | Report this post

saint Nick  
Years ago

What needs to happen is the same as football, the SANFL lets the power and Crows run the club and only asked for a dividend at the end of the year.

BASA should run the local ABA and juniors and a separate board runs the Sixers management. If there is a complete break it will be fine, time will fix all&.plus the odd $11 Million bucks as well .

Too many people are putting 2 cents in and no one knows what is happening.

Reply #35510 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

A new import from the states could be our best option ,Wethers a good and safe choice but i really like Rob Browns game.
Wethers might be a better shooter,but i remember Brown played fairly well against Adelaide last season.He played D well and was gettin boards and put backs against adelaide easily.He seemed alot shorter than his listed height.

Reply #35511 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

FMJ, I'm just asking the question about ownership. Yes, some teams have been successful with private ownership. But there have been many problems also.

The teams you mentioned, Perth, Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne. Look at their situations. They are all going through exactly the same problems we are having. Low crowds, low budgets, no marketing, some of them have been in administration. Pointing to those clubs as the most successful privately owned teams does not fill me with a great deal of confidence. And that's the 'successful' clubs. What about Canberra, Victoria, etc.?

All I'm saying is I don't think private ownership makes it better. All that's needed is good management. When we had that, we were the envy of the league. That's all we need to get back on track.

Reply #35512 | Report this post

FMJ  
Years ago

i didn't disagree but just wanted to highlight that the same thinking could be vaguely applied to willy. he's performing, just needs the right salary to work.. ;-)

PR is their primary issue. the current management is heavily focused on watching the finances which is required but forgets that being nice and staying in touch with people is free. staff morale would effect making that effort. the fact that this isnt being effectively recognised might be reason for a change in management, but who's going to do it? are the clubs too focussed on their own issues to make the switch?

Reply #35515 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

I did say bringing in a new player is exciting. But that doesn't mean I didn't want Farley to stay. I did. But he made the decision.

PS Higgins is on 5AA 1395 tonight if anyone's interested. Might surprise us and say something interesting.

Reply #35518 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

(Mod: This post is not available.)

Reply #35528 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The only way I can see Wethers coming to Adelaide is if he has some reason to want to be here. He was the highest scorer and league MVP last season. If he is asking for less money, why is he still on the free agent list. Surely he would have been snapped up by now. Either he is happy to play for Adelaide for less money, or the Sixers are happy to pay more for him. If the latter is the case, I would be highly disappointed because Farley had to be a priority at all costs. It really is a sad day today to know that the Sixers and Farley have come to the end of the line and we have missed out on him.

Reply #35533 | Report this post

wish I could dunk  
Years ago

Look look look at the end of the day Mr Smyth will come up with a good team....I wouldnt have thought he would have stayed if he wasnt going to get a roster he can work with....

Reply #35535 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:25 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754