Jack
Years ago

New basketball shoes required. Recommendations?

Been wearing the low cut Kobe Bryant shoes for a while now and I keep rolling my ankle very easily when I wear them.

I had hyperdunks but they fell apart really easily.

Any recommendations for basketball shoes that are a higher cut and provide decent ankle support. Preferably around the $100-$150 mark and something that will last. Does AND1 factory outlet have any good shoes around my price range that could give me more ankle support?

Thanks!

Topic #30936 | Report this topic

Ricey  
Years ago

You won't get anything decent around that price. And1 is the worst for ankle support, in fact, they are just plain horrible for your feet. I'd suggest Lebrons or Jordans

Reply #406306 | Report this post

Jack  
Years ago

Okay what about between $150-$200? I'll keep away from AND1's and might check out the lebrons and Jordan's.

I want ones that will last though. My hyperdunks fell apart after a few months

Reply #406308 | Report this post

NYC_LGK27  
Years ago

Nike hyperdunks are good, i have them and i like them, you can get them at Footlocker for around the price you are looking for, also they have a great range of basketball shoes at eastbay ( ill link it below)
i have Nike Zoom hyperdunk low, and i got mine at footlocker

Reply #406315 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

i always buy nike air and have never rolled my ankle in them

Reply #406316 | Report this post

NYC_LGK27  
Years ago

http://www.eastbay.com
nikes there a good price, but check footlocker first, thats where i got a pair of mine, their pretty good at footlocker

Reply #406317 | Report this post

NYC_LGK27  
Years ago

if you are really worried about ankle rolling, (which i am) you can get basketball shoes with a small lip on the edge ( like hyperdunks have ) or if you have bad ankle problems you can get get profession fitted orthotics (from a sports injury place or a physiotherapy place, their about $400 though, but they work great. or you can get physiotherapy at a place that specializes in sports injuries, i got physiotherapy and it was the best decision ever.

Reply #406318 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

KDs of eastbay you will get shipped to australia for around $150 plenty of colors to select.
http://www.eastbay.com/product/model:189465/sku:54988004/nike-kd-v-mens/black/light-green/?cm=searchmensbasketballshoes#sku=54988002
Havnt warn them however so cant comment on how they feel, but I have heard good wraps about them

Reply #406323 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Under Armour are awesome and protect feet and ankles. Really locks them in place.

Reply #406327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nike KD V. Good price, great sneaker.

Reply #406330 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If shoes fail early, complain as it's not good enough. I remember my brother as a kid being hard on his shoes and getting replacements a few times when things broke unacceptably soon.

Reply #406336 | Report this post

Rhea 82  
Years ago

Even high cut shoes don't protect the ankle. It's a bit of a myth really. Put on some high cuts and 'roll' your ankle and see if it offers any real support. The material used isn't rigid enough to add any protection. Once your ankle starts to go (landing on a foot or putting weight on in awkwardly) it's gonna go no matter what shoes you wear.

I've had ankle issues and i've decided the best way to go is Low cut shoes with braces/ tape. The low cut are lighter and fit better with the braces. I use braces at training and tape for games, as i find tape doesn't restrict the movement quite as much as the brace (but obviously provides less support).

That's my 2 cents. If your ankles are bad it's worth wearing the braces. I've felt them 'catch' my ankle and stop it from rolling numerous times. And if you're taping or bracing the cut of the shoe doesn't matter.

Reply #406337 | Report this post

Rhea 82  
Years ago

And to directly answer your question, if you decide to go with my advice i'd suggest shoes that aren't quite as low as the Kobes as the braces don't fit in the real low ones as well. Last years KDiv's where perfect as they are a tiny bit higher, as are the Chris Paul Jordan range and the hyperdunk low cuts (haven't seen the 2013 ones though, the 2012's where good).

Reply #406339 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Braces = horrible idea. Just use strapping and do ankle strengthening exercises. And higher cut shoes do offer some support, obviously the more rigid the shoe the better.

Eastbay.com and footlocker.com are exactly the same. Same company and same prices. Will be a lot cheaper than buying in Australia

Reply #406341 | Report this post

NYC_LGK27  
Years ago

yeah i would recommend to stay away from braces, i used them to skate fo a while, but they restrict movement and start to hurt after wearing them for a long time, it could just be me, but ive found compression bandages way better as they dont restrict movment, but add support, however nothing beats proper physiotherapy from somone who specializes in sports injuries, i had a terrible ankle and could barely run, but after a couple of months of physiotherapy, i could play basketball and sprint with no problems.

Reply #406344 | Report this post

NYC_LGK27  
Years ago

For people with bad ankles, i would DEFIANTLY recommend physiotherapy from someone who specializes in sports injuries, i know i might sound annoying but i'm only saying it because of how much it helped me :)

Reply #406345 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

funny people worry about what kicks they put on when guys like Jason Kidd and Ron Artest rolls around in Chinese brand gumboots haha

Reply #406346 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Difference between NBA players and us people, they have shoes moulded to their foot. So makes almost no difference what brand they go with really

Reply #406349 | Report this post

Budgie  
Years ago

Try the Adidas crazy lites. I stepped on the ball changing direction. Smashed my knee and tore my hamstring but my ankle is fine. They do take some getting used to but come with 2 sets of inner soles

Reply #406360 | Report this post

Rhythm Willie  
Years ago

OK - The number 1 myth is that high cut shoes protect the ankles, nothing is further from the truth, they offer virtually no support.

I was team manager on ABA Teams and everyone on the team strapped their ankles or wore a support, same as AFL etc.

A number of our top players chose the lightest shoe they could find, i.e. Asics court shoes (same as the Netballers , Squash and Badmington players etc.) i.e. heavy air gel shoes etc are a "marketing/gimic"shoes to suck you in with their dubious technology and "Star Player Hype".

The Adidas "Crayzy Lights" range are a great shoe , supportive but light like the top Asics, if you have any ankle problems then high cut shoes are a waste of marketing time, any Physio, Sports Trainer etc in any professional team will strap up your ankles, don't get sucked into wearing heavy shoes.

Reply #406363 | Report this post

Jack  
Years ago

Hey guys thanks for the replies.

I can tell you for a fact that these low cut Kobe shoes do provide less support for my ankle. I've rolled it simply by being shoved by a bigger player in the post, and it seem to roll with ease unlike with my hyperdunks.

I honestly don't care too much about the name of the shoe, who wears it in the NBA etc. I just one a pair that will last and provide more support to my ankle than the Kobe shoes I currently have.

Sounds like Footlocker is the way to go though.

Reply #406370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D Rose 3's fucked my ankles.. no stability. I dont recommend them

Reply #406374 | Report this post

Jack  
Years ago

How about the Nike Hyperforce? Nice looking shoe, relatively cheap and looks like it has a higher cut which should provide more ankle stability.

Reply #406375 | Report this post

Jack  
Years ago

Here is the link sorry

http://www.footlocker.com.au/shoes/mens/nike-hyperforce/

Reply #406376 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

Nike Hyperdunks 2012 $180 @ Kickz101

Reply #406383 | Report this post

bootleg  
Years ago

The cut of the shoe makes no difference to your susceptibility of rolling your ankle it all comes down to lock down and fit throughout the shoe. if you have spots in your shoe that dont fit right there is movement of your foot inside the shoe and that makes you more susceptibly to rolling you ankle.
Obviously if you already have bad ankles than you are going to need extra support for tape/braces. i guess the main thing to remember is that everybody's foot is different so what fits perfect for somebody else wont be perfect for you, so try before you buy.

Reply #406387 | Report this post

bootleg  
Years ago

also if you have really bad ankles than you could go with the "Ektio Breakaway's" there not the best looking shoe but they say you can't roll you ankles in them. because they have ankle straps in the shoe to lock down your foot and over sized outriggers.

you can check them out on eastbay and there only $130.00 US

Reply #406389 | Report this post

j  
Years ago

I got from Lebron x from footlocker, awesome shoe a bit expensive but cheaper if you get from eastbay or similar! Not sure what there like for ankle protection but I agree they only way to truely protect and reduce likely of ankle injury is to tape the. But as far comfort and performance wise best shoes i have ever had by a mile.!

Reply #406397 | Report this post

themvpiskb24  
Years ago

I highly recommend the Jordan CP3's. They're nice and wide for your feet and easily the most durable shoe I've worn in my teenage/adult ball life. I'm still wearing my original CP3 III and after about 3 years of abuse they are now (finally!) on their way out in terms of wear and tear. I plan to get the CP3 VI. They are high cut (and yes, it doesn't matter in terms of ankle support) which most people are uncomfortable with though. Excellent grip.

Highly against Lebron's, mainly because anything with a filter pops so easily after a couple months. Durant's are definitely way too narrow for most people. Kobe's are not bad, but I found the arch support on them nearly caused a stress fracture at one point.

Use braces that DON'T have the plastic bits on the side of the braces. You'll encounter less soreness but still have the support. If you have had an ankle sprain involving ligament tear, you should have gone to physio and you must be wearing tape and braces. There's usually no if/ands/buts about that.

Reply #406429 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

My last four shoes have all been Hyperdunks et al, rate them highly. Have been in situations where I've been in varying motions that potentially could've caused injury to my ankles by rolling them, but saved everytime by the shoe.

Reply #406497 | Report this post

Jack  
Years ago

Do footlocker even sell hyper dunks anymore?

Reply #406501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently Kickz101 still sell Hyperdunks (or so I read somewhere).

Reply #406508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go to www.jump-st.com.au, they have a full range of shoes from known brands.

It appears they a not a direct supplier but source all available basketball shoes in Aus in one place.

Looks pretty good!

Reply #564542 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Unfortunately anon^ it is typical of Aussie web sites and shoe stores here, lacking in anything above a size 12, but nice try anyways...

Reply #564677 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Under Armour and shoot like Curry.

Reply #564738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon he might have found a pair within the last two years lol

Reply #564742 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:17 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754