skull
Years ago

NH: Sever's Disease

my 10yo son is a hoops junkie and has been getting smashed with this bastard of a condition.

has anyone used or heard of the supplement- Oscon- as a treatment?

Topic #30937 | Report this topic

skull  
Years ago

the name makes it sound worse than what it is.

it is basically sore heels,growing pains etc
where the archilles joins the heel plate,very painful for kids.

Reply #406326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has he seen a podiatrist? That would be the first place I'd go for an opinion. Could be a gait issue which is putting abnormal pressure on his joints. I would also see a chiropractor, as a lot of foot injuries similar to this kind are caused by unstable pelvis/lower backs.

Reply #406331 | Report this post

JonT  
Years ago

Never heard of Oscon.

My 12 yo daughter has had sever's for a couple of years. Skull is right with his description. Very painful for kids.....

Take the advice above before you start down the medication route. And if you don't have success with the first Podiatrist or Chiro you seen try another one as some are better than others.

My (completely unqualified advice) is to rest, ice and lots and lots of stretching to increase lower body flexibility. Also using a foam roller is a cheap way to help without spending $$$$ on deep tissue massage.

Doing all the above has got her back playing practically pain free even with a recent growth spurt.

Reply #406342 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

thanks for your suggestions,i have taken him to the physio quite a few times with temporary success but not a podiatrist, mainly because i myself have had terrible advice from one once before(as JonT suggests advice may vary)
at the moment we are icing,massaging calfs and stretches 2/3 times a day.....at least he has stopped limping.
a podiatrist is next on my list.
thanks again.

Reply #406343 | Report this post

Toby  
Years ago

Make sure you see a physio and podiatrist who have experience with sports injuries, otherwise you may get told that he needs a year off sport! Some things that I have found very useful are the use of silicon heel cups in conjunction with stretching, massage and ice after sport. The condition is associated with rapid growth spurts and will settle as the muscles get to the right length to match the bone length. Good luck!

Reply #406347 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

What do those foam rollers even do? never tried them...

Reply #406369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Skull, if you're going to go the podiatry route, I recommend Craig Douglas who is on Kensington Rd not far from marrayatville high school. I've been to multiple podiatrists in Adelaide and Melbourne and he's by far the best I've seen. No bs with him and he's a big sports guy.

If you're looking for a chiro as well (which I highly recommend), Brett Hill is great. He's on greenhill road at Linden Park (also close to Craig).

Please let us know of your son's progress.

Reply #406371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Northcare at Salisbury is pretty good, Andrew Aish and there used to be another guy who worked with sports injuries. There is also a podiatry place there if they recommend that

Reply #406391 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

thanks guys,i live north of cairns in fnq,probably have fewer quality options up here.

Reply #406392 | Report this post

You can get small gel inserts that women use to ease the pain of wearing high heels. My 14 year old son used these with pretty good results. BY memory we bought them at a shoe shop.

Reply #406399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hi skull, I had this when i was young playing basketball and I actually grew up in Mossman and as you would know, had even less options to see for professional advice. I was told to only wear the best sports shoes and was told to wear arch supports as a high arch was contributing to the pain. Im 30 now and I haven't had any problems since (in relation to this problem), I have always worn arch supports but only a good chemist brand and always worn quality sports shoes. Might be something to consider.

Reply #406520 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

anon- last year when he first was diagnosed i made sure he only wore high quality school and bball shoes with inner supports.
we had physio today and were shown more excersises and massage techniques,also advised to rub a small amount of a sports heat rub directly on slight swelling around heel,he suggested to back off a little with the ice as injury was done 3 days ago?

anon, i also played and coached in Mossman.

Reply #406535 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:19 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754