Anonymous
Years ago

Why should Brett Maher be the next coach?

Fact: Has never coached before or been an assistant coach

Fact: Has been out of the game for over 4 years as a player

Fact: Has not coached at any level during that time

Fact: why would players want to play for a guy who has never coached

Myth: Because he was a goos player he will be a good coach

Myth: More fans will come to the game if he coaches

Myth: More sponsors will get on board if he coaches

Fact: Need to be entertaining and win more than you lose. at least get into the finals for people to consistantly involved and for sponsors to get on board

Maher has been a great player but he is nt a coach and has never coached.

If you were having a heart operation, would you want a surgeon who has had success withe operation or would you want a persona who has never performed heart surgery?

I think coaching our team is the same.

The Crows would never appoint someone who has never coached, but we are going to. Please dont!

Lets just deal in facts - not emotional choices - that is how a truly professional team should operate.

Topic #30959 | Report this topic

Speed44  
Years ago

As long as he has an experienced assistant next to him, I'm happy for them to try it. I think Arsego was mentioned, fine by me.

Reply #406617 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Because Adelaide as a club is in real danger of becoming irrelevant. Hiring Brett to lead the team is a great way to energise the fans & sponsors, and bring life back to the club.

Maher may not be the best coach available - but at this stage his hiring would make a lot of sense.

Reply #406623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought we were dealing in facts - Arsego is not a gd assistant coach - does not have a good record

Reply #406627 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Did I say "good"? I said "experienced".

Regardless, I would take that coaching panel over what we have now.

Reply #406628 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Fact: Your heart surgery analogy is moronic, extraordinarily moronic. Forum definingly moronic.

Myth: Your myth about more fans or sponsors might well be a myth

And i don't care if Maher coaches, just wanted to list a fact and a myth of my own.

Reply #406629 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

what happens to his "legend" status if he leads the Sixers to back to back wooden spoons?

Reply #406631 | Report this post

CP3  
Years ago

The brand of the 36ers is completely shot to pieces at the moment. Maher can help to start to rectify this immediately & bring back fans. Maher as the 36ers greatest ever player can immediately assist with that. Maher is a winner & has suceeded in most things in his life. He knows what it takes to train & compete at the right level to win championships in this league. He has a high Basketball IQ & his communication skills are of the highest level. An experienced coaching panel around him to support his own professional coaching development is imperative. IMO he should be the next 36ers coach.

Reply #406646 | Report this post

concnerned  
Years ago

I agree, he has never coached at senior level so very high risk.
Sounds great in theory to have one of the club greats coaching, buts all emotion and not based on performance history. Coaching the NBL levels is a tough gig so you need to understand exactly waht is involved.

AFL and SANFL is littered with first time coaches who were great players but could not coach.

If Brett Maher is to coach he should be the assistant to learn the job then take in 2-3 years time.

Reply #406647 | Report this post

Mimas 90  
Years ago

Would have him as assistant but not head

Reply #406652 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

This is where the last three years have brought us. Fans will be enthusiastic about any change.

"Fact: why would players want to play for a guy who has never coached"

That's not a fact. It's barely even a question.

"Myth: More fans will come to the game if he coaches"

I think that's wrong. And oversimplifying.

"Myth: More sponsors will get on board if he coaches"

I think that's also wrong. As above.

Fact: Coaches with strong backgrounds have been dumped by their NBL clubs in recent years for not getting results. There's no one true path.

Fact: Brett Maher is not Marty Clarke. Right now, that's enough for a lot of people.

Reply #406654 | Report this post

dko  
Years ago

Heart surgeon anaology is stupid ... but...

Fact - Someone had to be the first patient!

Heart surgeon in training probably practiced on sick dogs (36s perfect analogy)

Fact - even sick dogs wag their tails (even for practicing heart surgeons)

Myth - a heart surgeon never looses a patient.

Myth (or Fact?)- loosing teams don't have a heart.

Wooden spoons are inanimate - no heart - might aswell get a plumber, mechanic, chippy to fix 'em up and have a beer afterwards.

Reply #406656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maher should have gone and camped at a ABA team for a few years getting his coaching, strategy, psychology and people management skills honed before looking to be an AC at NBL Level.

Lets get him on board as an AC to an experienced proven Head Coach before throwing him into the deep end.

If he gets the Head Coaching Gig it makes a complete mockery of the selection process.

Reply #406664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only Fact that scares me is
FACT: He has never coached at any level!
For god sake it not social roster thurday night!

Reply #406666 | Report this post

Paul M  
Years ago

Yes, coaching first at ABA level certainly served Scott Ninnis well, didn't it?

There's no foolproof coach-selection system.

Phil Smyth didn't exactly have earth-shattering credentials when he started.

But sometimes passion, understanding the game and loving your home is a good basis from which to build.

Brett Maher would NEVER say something like "good luck getting any players here next year" or whatever the #2 Taswegian said. Or fail to own up to getting a tech which cost the team a home game.

He's already in front!

Integrity is a great foundation to start from.

Reply #406667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We don't need another Anstey in the League.

Reply #406669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul M, really is that enough.
Smyth had alot more experience than Brett at the same age.
Sprinkle some fairy dust mate good luck.

Reply #406671 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

He cannot be worse than Marty and Radford. Marty may have the 'formal' qualifications but cannot read a game - he has had 3 years to so call learn and get things right but unfortunately it has not worked out.

I agree with Paul M and others that the 36ers brand has been smashed and Maher has instant integrity with fans, sponsors and players. If an experienced assistant can be secured I liek the club should pull the trigger

Reply #406673 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

words are he is the next coach, couldn't remember who the assistant was though...

Reply #406677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's MUCH more at elite level to coaching than just X's and O's, MUCH more.
Especially so at Senior level, you need to be competent at many skills including time management, leadership, communication, motivation and psychology.
Does Maher have a demonstrable proven track record at being excellent at these?
Why would the 36'ers risk going with someone untried and not getting someone with a proven winning history now given they current situation?

Most people who have been around a long time within the upper ranks of coaching knew Marty isn't the right fit for coaching an NBL team.

To be honest its no surprise it hasn't worked out. That doesn't mean Marty isn't a damn good coach though or has a good read of the game, he's just not the right type of coach for coaching Men.

Reply #406679 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Think he could work out, but just hoping. How passionate is he about coaching? Never coached at any level, why wouldn't he attempt to get some experience over the last four years? Crazy and dissappointing.
Huge risk, the total oppposite to what we have gives him a shot at it.

Reply #406680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed 679. Tom Maher is an example of that. Hobart sacked him years ago but he has gone on to be a great coach in women's ranks. Just not cut out for the men.

Reply #406684 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

People's major criticism of Marty is that he is over his head.

So I have to ponder why replace him with a coach with even less experience.

I would prefer the 6'ers continue on under Marty's tutelege. I think significant improvements are underway and we would do very well to leverage off 3 years of learning and development.

However I understand the management may need to look like they are re-structuring to appease the hordes, so as a realist, I would have to concede Marty is not going to be re-signed.

One thing I am looking forward to is this test.

When Maher produces the same results, will we see the Sack Brett Threads, the general disrespect of Brett and the Booing of the team @ home in front of National TV?

Some say no.

I say they will be just as happy to throw Brett under a bus as they have done for Marty.

Time will tell.

Reply #406686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What do the 36'ers need? Someone to rebuild the culture and rebuild the playing group into a winning team.
They need someone who can show they've been able to do this and succeed. You'd have rocks in your head to select a Coach (rookie or not) that can't demonstrate the ability to do this and succeed..

Reply #406687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope, won't happen for two simple reasons, whether rightly or wrongly:

1. He'll show some passion
2. He is South Australian

Marty is neither

Reply #406688 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

What's the risk - we finish lower than any team Clarke has coached at a pro level?

Impossible.

What's the upside - we rebuild a once proud brand with a local hero?

Probable.

Reply #406689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sign Maher and get a worker bee like Liam Flynn as an Assistant.

Reply #406690 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Cant do worse.
Have trouble convincing me that Brett could not have got the players we have into the top 4.

Reply #406692 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Pat Riley went from player to broadcaster to coach... Yup, I think with go with Maher

Reply #406693 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

" Yup, I think with go with Maher"

Welcome Master Yoda, missed you we have

Reply #406694 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

While your a troll Marcus this is a valid point.

"When Maher produces the same results, will we see the Sack Brett Threads, the general disrespect of Brett and the Booing of the team @ home in front of National TV?"

No, simply put Marty's biggest issue is he has no respect for the club or the fans. Brett has shown over his career that he has this respect and relationship.

Reply #406700 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Skud...

Whilst Marty is not a coach which engages with the fans, it hardly equates to disrespect. And why would he engage with a fan base that boos his team at home on National TV?

I would suggest that Marty has the utmost respect for the club, to honour his contract when he is treated so poorly by said 'fans'.

If he disrespected the organisation, why would Daryl back him again and again (throw him line after line)?

Reply #406701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"And why would he engage with a fan base that boos his team at home on National TV?"

Time traveller. Got booed in year three, so went back to year one and ignored the fan base from the start.

Camby, stop the trolling.

Reply #406702 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

You could pretty much have said the same thing about phil smyth (I think) and what did he deliver?

Reply #406703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smyth back to back championships in his first two season as 36ers coach.

End of thread.

Reply #406705 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Wrong you are. End of thread is Pat Riley it is mmmmmm

Reply #406711 | Report this post

maxcet  
Years ago

Surely 6ers would go after a Goorj, Bevo, Lemanis. Failing that Joey Wright, Gleeson, Joyce.
But you must admit Maher will be a great figure head for an ailing club!
Just need to get him a lead assistant like Shaun Dennis or Dean Vickerman. Plus a career assistant for rebounding & junior stuff like Ron the Rat, Liam or Matt Flynn.

Simple! *cough*

Reply #406720 | Report this post

smoovy  
Years ago

Problem with the Sixers is that no one identifies with them anymore.

There is not a single player or coach there that you could identify the name as that person being a Sixers person.

Brett Maher IS South Australia
Brett Maher IS the Adelaide 36ers

Reply #406731 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

You are right smoovy, well said.I for one will buy my tickets again and support Brett Maher.

Just because you are a known coach does not mean success.

Brett Maher has integrity and people have alot of respect for him. He is South Australian- it all goes a long way.

Reply #406755 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

If you listen carefully to his commentating, he reads the game very well and has a good feel for what is going on and where each teams/players strengths and weaknesses are.

Reply #406756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack, that's all great but that's only 10% of coaching...
Its easy for people to sit back and judge from what they see on TV or at a game but 90% of what makes a great coach happens behind closed doors.

Sounds to me like the issue is the Coach has to be from SA....

Reply #406759 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

That's correct anon, there are a number of elements of coaching that is required to be effective. It doesn't need to come from one person, but from a team.

Reply #406760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And if you think Mahersy will be a quiet, soft spoken sort of coach you will be very mistaken. He can fire up with the best of them!

Reply #406761 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I remember thinking Gaze would be a soft-spoken coach, then I sat behind a bench on a tour and saw him coach first hand.

Its easy for people to sit back and judge from what they see on TV or at a game but 90% of what makes a great coach happens behind closed doors.
From all accounts, Marty is doing a lot of the right things behind closed doors and seeing very little success.

Reply #406766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All clubs have interstate players, how many do you guys want?

Reply #406767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct Isaac, which is why you need a team as Jack says, and the ability to "game day" coach.

You need all bases covered.

So can Maher give us 10%, 90% or 100%?

Who knows because he has no track record.

Reply #406768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So did Neil Craig and look how that turned out.
Doing all the 'text book' things is important but if you can't win, it all becomes null and void.
Marty is too mired in numbers and statistics. Every time he is interviewed he'll trot out a statistic line in one area or another. Stats are an indicator only, but when your total decision making is based around what numbers didn't work last time you are always chasing your tail.

Reply #406771 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

Has Maher shown any interest in the coaching position or said anything public about his candidacy?

Reply #406778 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maher has a superb track record working with an array of decent coaches. I don't think he'd put his hand up if he wasn't confident he could get it done.

Beekayz, there have been a couple of comments from him, but nothing in depth. If Boti is pushing it as legit, it has legs. Cole is keen on it. I think Daryl is probably for it too.

Don't get me wrong - I'd rather see him show some ABL interest and blood himself that way, or assist another coach to begin with, but right now pretty much anything is an improvement. Two things on top of that are that the alternative "proven" NBL coaches haven't exactly lasted with their previous teams and that Maher would bring instant local recognition to the club once again. I don't think anyone else could do that bar maybe someone like Goorjian.

Reply #406782 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Could Marty C be kept on staff as an assistant to Maher?

From what Ive seen and been told Marty does some very good work behind the scenes in game prep and tactics but falls down in the cut and thrust of a game due to being unable to adapt on the run.

Maybe Maher could be the one to come in as head coach, and then utilise Marty's talents in the back ground to set up team structures and disciplines but also being able to empower the players on court to back their instincts more rather than sticking to a rigid formula?

As long as Radford was sent packing Id be happy to see if a Maher/Clarke combo was a feasable option.

As Isaac said, sadly its now got to the stage in the general publics eye that as long as the head coaches name isnt M Clarke it will be percieved as a good move

Reply #406792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They Should just employ Maher as a Fluffer for you boys!!
That would keep everyone happy..

Reply #406801 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

Is Brett Maher the hero we deserve, but not the one we need right now?

Reply #406831 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

' It will be a less structured offence. ' Clarke told us before the game where put up their biggest score .
That's right , no that's wrong .
' The change was due to personnel , without Schensch , not game plan. ' He told us today .

Reply #406834 | Report this post

Shano  
Years ago

Maher will be a success. He's of the Buckley, hird or voss calibre( you can argue if they've been successful but I think at least two of them will go down as good coaches). Regardless, as Isaac said, he's not Marty. I love maher. Hope he is half as good a coach as player.

Reply #406840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Camel, sounds like Marty has thrown Schensch under the bus.

It's a pity what Marty's structure has done to the big fella's offensive game too.

Reply #406841 | Report this post

Shano  
Years ago

It's not like Marty to place the blame elsewhere....cough. Schensch will be better utilized next year. I'd rather lose dj than him. But that's just me.

Reply #406842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big red back on the phone to Crocs for next year.

Reply #406862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Schenscher is under contract at the 36ers next season.

Reply #406885 | Report this post

Fm  
Years ago

Throw the south Australian under the bus. You have already thrown the rest of South Australia under it in the past three years.

Wow, I have gone from a supporter to complete and utter hater in 1 season. I hope Skip plays only UB40 songs for our last game with Marty and Radford.

Reply #406888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luke has been injured all year you clowns and its not from being thrown under a bus.

Reply #406899 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:28 am, Wed 20 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754