NYC_LGK27
Years ago

How hard would it be to get in the NBL?

Honest question, how difficult would it be to get into the NBL?
physically wise and skill?
It would be so awesome to play in the NBL, and im just wondering how difficult it actually is to get to that level.
Thanks

Topic #30981 | Report this topic

PHS 09  
Years ago

Really hard , if you've played rep ball , state , international then your halfway there. Although NBL isn't as focused on statistics like the NBA. You gotta have a good motor , and some intangibles. NBL seems to have athletes with skill , smarts and determination. Defence and passing are great skills for any team , along with great court vision, spacing out on the floor and always keeping yourself in play. That means , being active , playing help defence, one thing I hate about the NBL atm is the screening and off ball movement.
Can you shoot the ball? Down and deep , can you make freethrows? At least touch the rim? 3/4 sprint in less then 4seconds? How well can you handle the ball? Box out?

Well that's my 5cents!

Churrrrrrrrrrr

Reply #407017 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Are you one of the best 80-odd Australian basketballers? That will generally get you there.

Reply #407069 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

People give a lot of shit to the NBL and its players (myself, at times, included) but the standard of basketball is actually a lot higher than most people would think.

The best way to gauge it is to spend the $ to get a courtside seat one time and see how fast and athletic the players really are.

It looks a lot easier when they're on tv.

Especially when the better teams with good systems are playing each other.

And you see someone sprint at top speed off 2 screens, receive the ball and immediately jump vertically as high as they can, with the ball leaving their hand at their highest point, and the ball only just misses the defender's outstretched hand by millimeters...

That's when you realise how hard it would be to get into the NBL.

Reply #407072 | Report this post

NYC_LGK27  
Years ago

beekayz, i tottally agree with you, i always get a tiny bit annoyied when people say nbl sucks and stuff.
Ive been to games and seen how athletic these players are, and their heaps skilled, i really want to be a nbl player, but im no where near good enough.
I just wanted to know how hard it actually is to get to that level.
Thanks

Reply #407075 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

Don't be too disheartened.
There's always the Special Olympics.

Reply #407084 | Report this post

NYC_LGK27  
Years ago

Wow

Reply #407090 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

NYC, how do you seriously expect a respondent is going to quantify the difficulty for you? Only a small portion of people make it and many capable players who excel in lower leagues never do. Doesn't that tell you enough?

Reply #407100 | Report this post

Youknow ME  
Years ago

Gotta love people who hate on the NBL.. theres so many of them. Dudes who aren't even stand out at district level say how shit the NBL is and it makes me laugh. most of them would have a hard enough time playing against the crappiest player on the crappiest team on the league... Christopherson! How hard would it be? alot of factors must be recognised... Money is one, if your poor chances are you wont get to a representative level in basketball in this country, or even district... its all very expensive... you have to have some cash t get to a good enough league in the first place then get recognised... and you have to routinely dominate Junior and Semi-Pro leagues. Think of the lowly NBL players who made mince meat of SEABL?!?!?! Basically to be an NBL player, You have to be quicker, smarter or bigger then the average bear... and you have to be consistant.

Reply #407101 | Report this post

T  
Years ago

Definitely smarter than the average bear, Boo Boo.

Reply #408130 | Report this post

My father always told me "never tell anybody how good you are. If you're any bloody good, people will tell you!"
On the basis of that NYC LGK47 if you are a chance to play NBL, chances are that you already know!! If not I'm afraid I only have bad news for you.

Reply #408134 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:44 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754