j
Years ago

Is this College Dunk of the Year

Stumbled accross this thought that it was worthwile posting.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/video.aspx?uuid=507004BC-7AF5-437E-9C3D-3D388C20D301

It was called as an offensive foul, was it the right call?

Topic #30987 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

He makes forceful contact with the defender who is in a legal guarding position. I am not unhappy with the call. Although, many people will say it was a good dunk so let it go.

Reply #407136 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Defender is standing on the no charge circle line, so is he or isn't he in the no charge zone?

For his own safety he should have ducked, too short to be defending there against that dude...

Reply #407140 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

I'd call it offensive purely for putting his knee through the other guy's head. No need for that.

Its worth noting that under FIBA rules he is outside the no-charge area. By NBA/NCAA rules he is inside the no-charge area.

After doing some hunting around it looks like this should still be an offensive foul because the guy taking the charge is the primary defender, so the no-charge area does not apply.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2011-11-08/new-no-charge-arc-to-clean-up-play-in-the-paint

Forte: "Understand, this applies only to the secondary defender. The primary defender is defined as facing the player with the ball, and there's no required distance — I can be 30 feet from you, but if there’s no one in front of us, I am the primary defender, as long as there is a clear path. The secondary defender is defined as picking up the offensive player."

Reply #407155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont know the US College rules but under FIBA it is a Charge.

The purpose of the no-charge semi-circle rule is not to reward a defensive player who has taken a
position under his own basket in order to draw a charging foul against an offensive player who is in
control of the ball and is penetrating towards the basket.
For the no-charge semi-circle rule to be applied:
(a) The defensive player shall have both feet inside the semi-circle area (see Diagram 1). The semicircle
line is not part of the semi-circle area.

So in a nutshell if any part of a defenders foot is on or over the line they are deemed outside the NCZ.

Reply #407156 | Report this post

j  
Years ago

Glad to hear others views

I thought it was the right call, I dont like the no-charge circle at all. It took some balls though for the defender to stand there, bet he will think twice about it next time particularly given the knee to the head.

Reply #407227 | Report this post

Wound  
Years ago

Watch the entire clip. The charge call was reversed. Inside the restricted area.

Reply #407335 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:23 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754