Beekayz
Years ago

Best Athletes Playing Sport in Australia

The 'Lebron Pregame Dunking' thread (or what it turned into) got me thinking about this.

And I don't mean only Australian's, but anyone who plays/played sport in Australia or is based elsewhere but plays in an Australian league.

The two that instantly come to mind for me are:

Sonny Bill Williams
Israel Folau

Sure Folau bombed at AFL, but wouldn't anyone in his situation?
I think the guy is still a supremely talented athlete and that people who know what they're talking about are already including him in the conversation for the Australian Rugby Union team after he's only played a couple of games, backs this up.

Keep in mind that in '07, while playing for the Melbourne Storm, he broke the record for most tries in a debut year, was Rookie of the Year and All-time Youngest Australian International Player (18y.o.)

I don't think I even need to make an argument for Sonny Bill Williams. He has been a super star at international level in Rugby League, Union and, to a lesser extent, in boxing.

At 6'5 and 6'4 respectively, do you think they could have potentially been NBA caliber basketballers?

As for athletes no longer playing sport, Jonah Lomu maybe?

Do you agree on them being among the best athletes playing sport in Australia, past and present and who else would you add to the list?

Topic #30992 | Report this topic

Bear  
Years ago

Gary Ablett (Snr or Jnr) would both have been awesome as NFL running backs or playing rugby in the centres or on a wing, if they were not AFL stars, and they would have been stars in either of those other two sports also, IMO...

Reply #407212 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

Of course, if we're talking about athlete who THINKS he's the best, Anthony Mundine, without a doubt.

Agree about Ablett. He's a freak, not just for the reasons outlined in Lebron dunk thread.

Reply #407233 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Without knowing much about AFL, Scott Pendlebury?

Reply #407234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nic Naitanui

Reply #407237 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Probably AFL players?

In basketball terms, "athletic" describes those players who are agile, can jump, are fluid, etc.

But an athlete to me is a combination of stamina, speed and strength, and I think with the amount of consistent running they do, AFL midfielders would probably rate pretty highly for that combination?

Reply #407238 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

There was an interesting/ sad interview with Ablett senior last year in the Herald Sun.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/the-world-according-to-gary-ablett-death-threats-stalkers-and-dont-ask-about-that-phone/story-e6frf7kx-1226431628503

Reply #407240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As arrogant as he is, I hate to say it but Mundine would be up there. Was one of the best/most explosive rugby league players before he left, and has since had a fairly successful boxing career. Granted I wouldn't call him a great boxer, but without an amateur career, he pretty much got to where he was in boxing purely on his athletic ability. Also a pretty decent baller back when he was younger, utilising his athleticism.

(Disclaimer: this isn't Anthony Mundine)

Reply #407248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Abletts have a low centre of gravity and extremely good balance and core strength genetically, but are far too slow to be NFL Running Backs, those guys are all College track star calibre sprinters.
Rugby Union or League different story, they'd be very tough.

Reply #407252 | Report this post

rick  
Years ago

Mitch Creek would be in the mix based on athleticism wouldnt he? 6 foot 5, big leap, agile, strong, quick ... how's his endurance?

Reply #407259 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

Yo mamma said he goes all night.

Reply #407265 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

Can't believe I just trolled my own thread :(

Reply #407266 | Report this post

Gannymeade 41  
Years ago

Ellyse Perry

Reply #407285 | Report this post

NYC_LGK27  
Years ago

Talking about AFL players and basketball...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URYu9qCmw-w

Reply #407286 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

Maybe at PF, but not quite tall enough for C ;)

She's represented Australia in cricket and soccer, right?

Reply #407287 | Report this post

NYC_LGK27  
Years ago

( Nic Naitanui Dunk )

Reply #407288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Izzy Folau without a doubt. Scott Pendlebury is a great athlete too, very slick.

Reply #407299 | Report this post

PHS 09  
Years ago

Andrew Neville the high jump kid?
He's athletic , fast runner , and can dunk obviously

Don't know his height

Reply #407309 | Report this post

PHS 09  
Years ago

Don't know his height

Reply #407310 | Report this post

PHS 09  
Years ago

Don't know his height

Reply #407311 | Report this post

PHS 09  
Years ago

Jonah Lomu could dunk when he was only 13

Reply #407312 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

+1 to Elysse Perry.

Why do people think Israel Folau failed at AFL? I think he did real well personally. Karmichael Hunt as well.

Reply #407319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't believe no one has mentioned Buddy Franklin yet. Can do everything on footy field would expect him to be quite a handy basketball player or rugby player if he wanted to be

Reply #407320 | Report this post

PHS 09  
Years ago

Buddy was good tonight but not good enuf , hawks went down by 1 to the dogs

Reply #407323 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

Buddy for sure.

Reply #407325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greg Ingles is the best athlete in rugby league. I think he could make the switch to a number of different sports

Reply #407333 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

Folau didn't really well for someone who had never played footy before.

That's not the same as succeeding.

If he didn't have 'name value' he wouldn't have even made the best 21 most weeks.

Reply #407334 | Report this post

Buddy goes missing when it matters in the big games
watch the last 10 min of last years grandfinal

Winner want the ball Buddy did not want the ball

Reply #407338 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

But that doesn't really have anything to do with Buddy's athletic ability, right?

Reply #407339 | Report this post

It has a lot to do with his ability

What I was talking about was what stood Micheal Jordon above others ...He wanted the ball he was the leader the best player

That is what made him great athlete

Greatest Athlete Australia ever produced was a man called Peter Norman

Reply #407343 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

one of the best nicknames for a sports person too.

Reply #407348 | Report this post

2FAST4U  
Years ago

Fastest man in Australia Josh Ross is obviously one of the best athletes going around.
Speed- 10.08 100m
Vert- 37 inches. Probably mid 40's running vertical.
He played rugby league growing up as well. The only thing stopping him from becoming an elite basketball player would be his height (only 6'1).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcRVxFs1kPI&list=UUeUIDXHXtAinTWpfDik5jGw&index=4

Reply #407350 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

6'1 is a reasonable height for a PG
Keep in mind that if you want a true indication of an NBA players height you need to shorten them by 1-2 inches as their measurements are always in shoes (and then some).

So 6'1 is really 6'3.

Reply #407353 | Report this post

PHS 09  
Years ago

6'1 ain't short at all

From my experience , the faster you can run the better your vert is going to end up. And the higher your vert gets through training the better your overall speed would be.

Reply #407442 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

I would have thought that speed has a lot more to do with length of jump and strength with height of jump (I'm more confident about the first statement than the second).

You see a lot of sprinters being good at long jump, but I haven't heard of many sprinters who have competed at international level in high jump.

Reply #407446 | Report this post

2FAST4U  
Years ago

Well 6'1 is short for basketball!

Anyway the best athletes in Australia are sprinters hands down.

Reply #435464 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Casey Stoner is in consideration. Moto GP riders have always featured highly in the "fittest of the fittest testing" . Michael Jordan has commented on how surprisingly strong and fit bike riders have to be. They wrestle 160kg around at 330km/ hr for up to 40 minutes non stop

Reply #435467 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

In the fantasy world we're dealing in guys like Ablett and Judd could be like Wes Welker in the NFL.

Reply #435474 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:55 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754