Anonymous
Years ago

Anstey & Flynn were right on NBL refs

STINGING criticism from the Perth Wildcats failed to deter Melbourne Tigers coach Chris Anstey, and a meeting with NBL officials this week confirmed his side got a raw deal from referees.

Anstey and point guard Jonny Flynn were upset by the refereeing against Perth last week with Flynn lucky to escape sanction after saying it was hard to win when "it's five against eight".

Anstey set up a meeting with referees boss Peter Carey to address his concerns and on Monday was told the Tigers had been on the end of some bad calls.

"They agreed with me that there were some bad calls, and we all make mistakes and move on," Anstey said.

"If they had said it was all right then I would have to change what I'm doing, and how I'm coaching.

"They were open with their opinions, some calls were right, some weren't."

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/basketball/chris-anstey-and-jonny-flynn-make-the-right-call-on-nbl-referees/story-fndekszl-1226587964644

I bet Shawn Dennis' face must be red right now.

Topic #30994 | Report this topic

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Ummm...""They were open with their opinions, some calls were right, some weren't.""

This is hardly vindication for Anstey and Flynn.

A basketball team gets stiffed on a few calls.

A ref makes a bad call here and there.

The biggest impact calls were the 2 momentum shifting USF's.

Are they suggesting they were wrong?

Reply #407241 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Flynn's USF was definitely justified.. If it isn't unsportsman like to shove a player just because they stole the ball off you, I don't know what is.

Reply #407263 | Report this post

Roger Kakulas  
Years ago

Agreed, the Tomlinson one was wrong though and the one on Hire was soft.

Hardly game changing though, the Tigers have got bigger problems than the referees

Reply #407272 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Tomlinson was unlucky but he didn't do himself any favours by immediately making contact with the Perth guard (Carter?) while making no attempt at the ball.

Reply #407274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, OP is WAY overselling his case here.

Reply #407276 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

So any coach or player can have go at the refs to the media now as long as "there are a few wrong calls in the game". The inconsistency within the decision makers at the NBL just hit an all time low (or is that high).

Both the USF were deliberate reactions to stop a layup at the other end committed by players who had just turned the ball over and with no other players to defend the basket behind them. I hope those type of incidents keep getting called that way.

Reply #407281 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

The Tomlinson one was technically correct wasn't it?

It was a run-of-the-mill foul, done with a 'clear path' ahead.

So that run-of-the-mill foul had to be an USF.

Reply #407282 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

maybe they should go back to the 'intentional foul' again or something new,this unsportmanlike thing is gaining too much stigma.

Reply #407317 | Report this post

Gruff  
Years ago

Agree with skull. What was wrong with the 'intentional foul'?

Reply #407365 | Report this post

POP  
Years ago

There is a stigma to the term 'unsportsman-like' [for me, anyway] & 'intentional' is easier to define, and so call, hopefully.

There is still the poential to call a tech for something that is clearly unsportsman-like [outside the spirit of the game] but is not obviously covered by 'intentional', which in the context implies a physical foul.

Reply #407370 | Report this post

Fm  
Years ago

I grabbed him so the referee would call a foul and therefore he wouldn't get a clear lay-up.

Intentional because you intentionally used the rules to gain an advantage.

Unsportsmanlike because you made contact and it wasnt in the spirit of the game.

Hence why fouls in the dying minutes should be judged on definite attempt to steal the ball or deliberate attempt to make a foul. If it the later, ping them for it. If you are in front near the end, that is your reward. If you are behind, maybe you need to ensure you don't get put in that position again next game.

The opinion that people say then they have no chance is ridiculous. They should compete in the contest for 40 minutes. Not 37 and then realise, shit we might be able to win this.

Reply #407380 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

see this is where the refs should be held accountable and should attend post match conferences. its one thing to call a foul but another to back it up with a replay and ask the same question.

however would be a first if they did

Reply #407416 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:06 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754