hoopie
Years ago

Could the Tigers do better than Flynn?

quote from The Age "
The Tigers called time out to get Flynn from the court but Flynn decided to say something in the direction of the referees as he was helped off. His words resulted in a bench technical foul being given to the Tigers."

Flynn seems to get involved in a number of "incidents", and his numbers haven't been that great. Sure, he probably expected to dominate the league, and sure, it's a physical league.

I have to wonder if we could should ditch the flashy Flynn and go for someone who's more of a team player and who can just get on with the game instead of being a princess and mouthing off all the time.

Topic #31019 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Too late for changes now. They should let him go next season though, bring in someone with some toughness.

Wouldn't be surprised if Gibson was the Tigers starting PG next season.

Reply #407633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its not the NBA cant just replace a key import who is producing on the way to the playoffs.

Reply #407637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

for 600K they could do a lot better

Reply #407643 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

His numbers have been fine, but sometimes his attitude lets the team down. In that, he's not quite the only one.

Probably overpaid though, if the rumours are right.

Reply #407646 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

@Isaac - Flynn's numbers are inflated, given how his offensive tendencies take away much chance of the Tigers playing as a team.

And his numbers aren't good enough, anyway, if that's his price tag.

Reply #407667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His numbers are solid but his performances are only just okay.

Defensively, he is the worst guard in the league bordering on completely incompetant. Onball - no pressure, get's caught up on onball screens, off the ball he simply ball watches and always loses sight of his man.

On top of this he is a very ordinary shooter from the perimeter. Capable enough that you have to get a hand up, but also just as likely to clunk a wide open look hard off the iron.

Reply #407670 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I have to wonder if we could should ditch the flashy Flynn and go for someone who's more of a team player and who can just get on with the game instead of being a princess and mouthing off all the time.

Someone like Braswell?

Reply #407671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, defensively just horrible. I cannot believe you could play in the NBA with that defensive skill set, so my only conclusion is he chooses to be lazy. I wonder how Anstey has addressed that, if at all?

Reply #407674 | Report this post

white boy  
Years ago

Flynn is awesome - some of you have no idea. Or are just bitter/arm chair experts.
You aren't going to win many games when Goulding and Walker are your top scorers....

Reply #407676 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Cedric Jackson>Johnny Flynn

Reply #407680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Easily

Reply #407682 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

white boy - it depends on what you're measuring him by.

In terms of flashy dribble moves, yep - he's awesome.

In terms of defense and getting double-figures in assists each game to make his team-mates better, nup.

In terms of his attitude giving a good example and lifting his team-mates, I don't think so.

Maybe it just depends on whether you want to see an entertainer or a basketballer.

Reply #407683 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

"Yes, defensively just horrible. I cannot believe you could play in the NBA with that defensive skill set" Have you seen much NBA anon? Not exactly the defensive full court slog that the NBL is.

I agree that he is pretty lazy defensively, though up until he was injured in the game on the weekend I actually thought he was doing a better/more proactive job sticking with his man on cuts etc. Also, and this is just based on the game against the Hawks, I thought he balanced his shooting with getting others involved quite well up until the injury. 13pts on 45% and 6 assists in 22 mins of play not too bad if you ask me.

Reply #407687 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Bookmark this post! Flynn will never play in the NBA again. He is the worst defender in the NBL. People on this site question why Patty Mills struggles to get minutes in the NBA. Well people it's because he is a terrible defender. If you cannot defend in the NBA you do not play.

I bet if you attended a Tigers practice you would see Nate Tomlinson day in day out blow by Flynn and get in the paint.

My thought is to continue to develop Tomlinson as a pass first PG because he will be very good in a few seasons and bring in a tough as nails guard who can defend the hell out of it.

Reply #407691 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Flynn has the ability to be a great import point guard in this league.

However, he has lazy tendencies which translates to poor D.

Would be good to see him under another coach like Lemanis or Bevo or Gordie.

Reply #407693 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Or Marty??

Reply #407694 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Not Marty I am afraid.

Reply #407707 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

One can only wonder how Flynn would react when told to pull his head in by the three coaches mentioned. My guess is that he would just throw the towel. The more I watch him the more I thing he is here because he can take it easy and still get the star treatment. The problem is that the guys who defend him don't see it that way and when the acid gets put on him he doesn't like it. In the NBA he would have never been high enough up the offensive danger list to have been scouted and defended by anyone such as Martin.

Glad he came here because the fanbois might start giving some of out home grown stars and imports a little bit of the credit they deserve.

Reply #407708 | Report this post

Rag 72  
Years ago

Flynn has been good, probably the second best pg in the league but his attitude has been poor.
Still the right decision to get rid of Braswell for him.
Someone like Eddie Gill would fit the tigers well

Reply #407714 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

"If you cannot defend in the NBA you do not play."

Not true by any means.
If you are a good scorer but can't play D or can play D but don't either because you choose not to or don't have the fitness to go 100% on both ends (Harden for example) your team will hide you in on the defensive end of the court.

Good scorers are simply too valuable and too rare a commodity in the NBA. If you are an average scorer, THEN you have to play D or will receive few minutes.

It is getting better though, and both the teams and the fans are putting a much higher value on D than they used to, as evidenced by the number of great defenders in this years All-Star Game.

Reply #407715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Johnny Flynn is not getting 600k.
He's on ~10k per game.
Chuck / NBL turning a blind eye to the salary cap issue on this one as Tigers have privately called out the Breakers on their expenditure.

Reply #407718 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Anstey is giving this kid an opportunity to whine & not get it done. Quit bitchin about the refs & get on with it. Ansteys fault!!

Reply #407721 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Anon u think Mills can't defend? He's a great defender, the reason he struggles for mins is his size & the fact he's behind a guy named Tony Parker!

Reply #407729 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

PlaymakerMo, I was responding to this:

his numbers haven't been that great
His numbers have him second in scoring and second in assists, which is fine for a scoring point. Obviously his turnovers are high and many might've expected more from an NBA guy, but I'm considering his stats independently of his role in bringing success to the team. Hardly a role-model for what sometimes seem to be impressionable supporting players.

Reply #407760 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think people start too much from the 'number 6 pick in NBA Draft' standpoint, which really is irrelevant to NBL performance.

He does some amazing things, undoubtedly has made Melbourne better, has definitely improved his application to defence, but also makes some bad plays and certainly isnt the greatest defender.

He is definitely a very good player in the NBL, but definitely not one of the best couple. Could Melbourne do better? Yes, but they could more easily do worse.

Reply #407768 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:51 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754