Rick
Years ago

Kings: Which players should Hammer give the boot?

With the 2012/2013 season coming to an end, it's obvious that the Kings out-performed everyone's expectations, even the hardcore supporters in Sydney.

Shane Heal now has a chance to purge the garbage that remains from the Ian "Moose" Robilliard era.

Who do you think should get the boot? Luke "nothing but net" Martin? Graeme "Money time from the free-throw line " Dann? or an inconsistent import?

Topic #31038 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why dont u tell us who is out of contract first before making stupid statements

Reply #407870 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

both Dann and Martin to go, i think they need someone better at finishing around the rim. too many times Lazare misses easy shots or got blocked. Between, bruce, madgen, harvey and import pg, the back court is pretty good. i think an athletic 3 or 4 and a good big man. crossy has been better then i thought he would, but i reckon a guy like grant would have gone really well this season. I wonder if a young guy like mitchell young could play a role off the bench, he has a pretty soft touch around the rim, 6ft9, not bad size.

Reply #407871 | Report this post

NYC_LGK27  
Years ago

^ lazare is an athletic bigman?
Great player in some games, but scores low in others.
If he can keep up with his top playing level every game, he will easily be one of the top 5 bigmen.
But thats as long as he is consistant.
Great player, kings should keep him, one of my favourites.

Reply #407873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drop Graeme Dann... He is essentially useless, how he continues to get gigs is beyond me

Reply #407874 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

C.Henry, A.Bruce, B.Madgen, K.White, J.Harvey, T.Garlepp, & I.Crosswhite should stay (for the right price). Barring DPs, everyone else should go.

That's about 55 player points committed for 13/14, give or take, with the back court fairly well solidified.

Reply #407890 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

PlayMakerMo is pretty much on the money.
However is Heal worth the money himself?

Reply #407897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dann and Martin are out of contract. Who else

Reply #407907 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Kings free agents this off season are:
Aaron Bruce
Corin Henry
Darnell Lazare
Graeme Dann
Luke Martin
Kevin White

Kings do have an option on Henry.

Reply #407908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obviously James Harvey should be gone but pretty sure he still has a year to go on his contract, the madness of giving him a 2-year deal after his last season with the Blaze!

Reply #407942 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I agree Anon, seems to always have an injury cloud hovering above him of late.

Reply #407945 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

I recall sometime during a broadcast of a Kings game that Dann had the highest +/- rating for any Sydney player this season.

Is this true?

Reply #407968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the team is looking like:

PG: ? / ?
SG: Madgen (7) / Harvey (7)
SF: ? / ?
PF: ? / Garlepp (4)
C: Crosswhite (8) / ?

I think with how their minutes and in turn their performances reflected the lack of consistent playing time, we can assume that both Martin and Dann are on the outs...

I'm seriously hoping that Harvey just retires, or the Kings tear up his contract based on "health reasons" as really, it's not just about his 7PPs taking up valuable points cap room, the fact that we have someone in that position stops us from targeting someone that might otherwise be a better option long term and resulting in having to find someone to fill in when he undoubtedly gets injured. It's not his fault, it's just his body is incapable of taking the stress of an NBL season. He trained hard and had a good pre-season, but how many games did he last before being ruled out for a couple of months? 4-6? If he was re-rated down a couple of points and was capable of being that hard-nosed physical defender that we can send after opposing guards and have him shut them down, that would be one thing, but he's not...

Imports: Both Henry and Lazare showed lots of upside this season, but were wildly inconsistent. When teams figured Henry out, he went away from the facilitating PG he started off being, and when push comes to shove, he really IS a bit too small... He had some great moments offensively when he's gotten into the key and gotten it up amazingly, but it shouldn't be that hard and on the other end, he's a liability for the larger guards in the league.

Lazare works hard around the basket and it seems like he's gotten his outside shot back which makes him dangerous, but again, his lack of consistency makes me wary of keeping him on board. I agree that it would have been great to see how Grant would have gone partnering with Crosswhite this season, but it's clear that he wasn't quite in Heals good books and was still needing that outside shot to develop...

2013/14 Imports: It's clear that teams need a standout/star guard import to compete in this league, so that's an obvious choice. I don't quite think Henry is up to it, although he had an ok season before injury. What about trying to get Ervin again? I know he's not that much bigger, but having someone that is a legitimate penetration threat to take the pressure off Madgen and other shooters would be a good step forward...

Depending on who is available locally to start at the 4 (I'm still hoping that the Sixers pull a Tigers and announce that they're happy to let players leave who don't want to be there, and we can snap up Petrie) would it be wiser to maybe go after a 3/4 import? I know the really good ones are rare, but it's worth thinking about, surely...

Frontcourt: We lacked some serious depth here this season. Having Dann to fill in at the 5 is a seriously desperate move. A Crosswhite/Lazare/Garlepp combo was ok, but when Lazare wasn't shooting for that stretch, and when Crosswhite was carrying niggles, it was stretched seriously thin. Having another starter quality PF ahead of Garlepp would be ideal. Unfortunately there isn't that many likely local options... Knight would be a huge get, but he's unlikely to leave Perth. Is Ballinger only signed for this season? He's done ok this season, but getting an old, somewhat injury susceptible player probably isn't the best way to go... Oscar would be great, but again, unlikely to leave the Gong? Same with, and I hate myself for even suggesting it, Redhage.

Either way, we need a quality 3... There's not a whole lot available locally, although if Weigh can get some confidence away from ADL he could prove valuable. Solid rebounder, great shooter when on... Brad Hill might also be an ok not-quite-starter quality pick up, hard worker, good rebounder and shooter at times...

Backcourt: This hasn't REALLY been a weak point this season, when all healthy, and I'd be happy to see Bruce back, but it's these spots that there is probably the most competition for. His ability to get into the key has been awesome this season, but the last handful of games, just not being able to finish even around the basket has been worrying. Maybe if we can get him shooting as many shots at practise as Madgen apparently does then maybe he can show similar growth? There are some quality imports still out there though, combined with Gibson if the option isn't picked up. If pigs fly and Lisch DOES indeed move from Perth, would he fit in here? We'd still need someone to run the team properly, surely? Madgen isn't strong enough defensively against the bigger 3s as we've seen this season already, so it would provide a bit of a log jam? Not that it wouldn't be a great problem to have! Gibson just looked really disinterested this season and it seemed fairly clear that he was playing in Adelaide only because it was the last choice... Is he more comfortable being a floor leader and facilitating, or would he really just prefer to shoot?

If we can sign a top quality import, who could be available to back up? Is Tomlinson only on the one year deal? Do you want a player without a decent shot or is he worth the early investment to get him back home?

Like my Petrie wish, if there was a chance to get Cadee back home, would it be wise? He's still not starter quality, but has come along nicely and would again be a good investment in the future. If he can be groomed to one day free up that starting PG spot in a few seasons. He's a good slasher and has proven a nice shot from outside when open...

Having a similar backcourt to this season with an upgrade (or youngster coming in with a view to the future) on Martin, and hopefully an upgrade on Henry (money permitting), then the key areas to address would be that SF position and strengthening the front court.

We've overachieved this season (or at least WERE overachieving before Madgen got stacked-on by Peach!) so it would be great to see what Heal can do with a bit more talent in his ranks...

Reply #409005 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:06 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754