outside the box
Years ago

Next coach of the 36ers

Plenty has been said about a required coaching change for the 36ers and many of the same names mentioned, mostly coaches who are unproven or tried & failed types.

I wonder if people have suggestions which might be different

Obviously with Ken Cole no longer buying the club, any new ownershp model would look further than only Brett Maher (of which I think he would be a good coach)

My suggestion, after coaching successfully with one college for 11 seasons straight - Steve Spencer!!!

Ex 36ers Assistant

Very good coach indeed

Surely would have good contacts and could bring 2 good imports to got with some good Australian talent which the club has now!??

What do others think?

Topic #31046 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hi Steve,

I would prefer either Maher or a career coach like Ian Stacker.

Reply #407960 | Report this post

Uncle fester  
Years ago

I'd go for Trevor Gleeson, Joey wright, or Brendan joyce

Reply #407961 | Report this post

outside the box  
Years ago

This was my point - Spencer is a career coach

Stacker,Joyce,Gleeson,Wright,Smyth have all previously coached in the Nbl before with mixed success

Steve Spencer has shown he can get excellent results as a coach
He is a passionate coach with excellent knowledge & I believe he could be one of the best league coaches in a pro league like the Nbl given the opportunity

Reply #407964 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Of those 3 i'd go with Joyce.Comes across as a logical thinker.Be nice to see somebody fresh and new.

Reply #407965 | Report this post

outside the box  
Years ago

Joyce is not fresh and is not new!!
He is mauldy & old

Reply #407966 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Steve Spencer would be alright but I imagine his salary at the colleges there would be the same if not higher. So I can't see why he would be interested in coming here.

I will be happy with Maher and an experienced assistant

Reply #407969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Might wanna check where Steve has been coaching and the level. Ain't exactly Duke in Div.1!

Reply #407970 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Id be asking the contracted players for next season to get some input. The communication between front office and players isnt where it should be.

Reply #407971 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Kobe good idea, maybe.
What happens if 9 out of 10 say re-sign Clarke?

Reply #407972 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ignore them and ask for their second and third options. (Third option mostly in case they say Radford.) ;)

Reply #407987 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Fourth option in case they say Stevie Weigh
#Jokes #I like Steve's game

Reply #407988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get j0yce, so we don't have to listen to him, carfino is enough as it is.

Reply #407989 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

9 out of 10 will say Marty because he is the man to lead them to the Promised Land.

Reply #407993 | Report this post

outside the box  
Years ago

Marcus surely you gest

Reply #407994 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Ignore them and ask for their second and third options. (Third option mostly in case they say Radford.) ;)

1. Marty Clarke
2. Mark Radford
3. Arena Rats

Reply #407995 | Report this post

Un Bias  
Years ago

Anyone who has ever coached at Sturt :)

Reply #407998 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

i doubt many of the players would want Marty to still be their coach next season after the frustrating system they have had to adhere to

Reply #407999 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

What if we had the Julia Gillard of Coaches. To paraphrase her classic line
"There will be no carbon tax under a government I lead"
"There will be no wooden spoon under the team I coach"

Reply #408003 | Report this post

Guns  
Years ago

If Joyce coaches than it will be Dan Joyce playing 35 mins a game for no imput instead of Weigh

Reply #408007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not saying J0yce should be coach.

But not giving him an opportunity because of his son is a bad excuse.

It is not a difficult task when negotiating a contract with J0yce to make it clear that the Club will not allow him to coach his son at any time during his contract.

If that is a deal breaker for J0yce then that is fine, we go in a different direction.

I don't know what Spencer has done the last few years so i can't comment. However, he was an Assistant at UCLA for a while wasn't he?

Also, saying that he has not coached Duke the last 10 years as a criticism is a bit ridiculous. If he was coaching Duke he wouldn't be looking to coach in the NBL.

Reply #408009 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

I'd like to see Ian Stacker or Trevor Gleeson given the job. Someone well experienced and recent - and also good with the media and fans.

Joey Wright falls in that category too, but Im not as keen on him as the other two.

Reply #408010 | Report this post

JimmyBuckets  
Years ago

Out of former NBL coaches the ones i would look mainly at are Gleeson, Stacker, Wright, Molloy, maybe Smyth.

You could chat to guys like Schenscher, Petrie, Gibson who have some experience with a couple of them, see what they say about them, not the be all and end all, but just to get a feel of how players see them.

Id also reach out to Newley re Stacker, see how he thinks he would go, also contact other NBL guys who have played under him and even guys involved in the AIS currently and if Stacker helps us bring Newley home when he is finished with Europe thats a bonus imo. Stacker was great at recruiting young talent, got Newley and was rumoured to have Ingles keen to come before he got sacked, plus generally had a pretty good w/l %.

But again all these guys have been sacked, they have all been somewhat successful, but not guaranteed to take us to a title, but any of them would be a big upgrade on our current coach imo.

To be honest i was really warming to the idea of Maher having a crack at it, probably more the basketball 'romantic' in me, but i also have no doubt he would make a good coach, seems to be a good leader, communicator and have high basketball iq, all great attributes for a coach. Definatly needs an experienced assistant, rumours of Arsego probably a good move, if the money is there get a Stacker/Smyth type to work with him aswell as a basketball gm/coaching director/senior assistant(mentor), a bit like Eade working with Buckley, Thomspsn with Hird in the AFL.

Will be interesting to see what happens, looking forward to a new era in the 36ers!

Reply #408011 | Report this post

Team Player  
Years ago

Steve Spencer......great coach.
Tried to get him to apply for the job 3 years ago after Ninnis was let go.

Our young Sixers crew would thrive under Spence's system.

Reply #408014 | Report this post

Bah  
Years ago

Ha, im pretty sure Weigh has absolutely interest whatsoever in who coaches us......but seriuosly, did I miss something? I think the idea of asking the players opinions of future coaches is ridiculous.

Reply #408027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not Bevo? Hasn't he been telling all & sundry that this is his last year at the catz?

Reply #408045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

julius hodge

Reply #408060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bevo won't leave the best club in the country to come to the worst. And im not talking about on court preformance.
He might if we get a CEO that know what they are doing, unlike our last one.

Reply #408073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bevo is out of contract.

Reply #408080 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

If Maher were appointed coach what would peoples thoughts on Ninnis being his assistant be? They are best mates and he has coached in the league before?

Reply #408081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shawn Dennis.....is keen as well.

Reply #408082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bevo is playing the more money card at the wildcats, it will be interesting to see if Nick Marvin wants him.

Reply #408087 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Ninnis and Maher would make a good combo

Reply #408160 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Spoke to Ninnis the other day and he seems pretty happy running his wine tours business.

Reply #408167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plus you would think with the messy divorce Ninnis had with SOS in 2010 he might not be all that keen.

Reply #408171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beveridge and Marvin are like oil and water.

Reply #408438 | Report this post

Uncle fester  
Years ago

Get Joyce if he doesn't get boomers job.

Reply #408543 | Report this post

Fleagle  
Years ago

Brad Davidson would be an option even as assistant

Reply #408825 | Report this post

Uncle fester  
Years ago

With Marty all but gone, could Radford get promoted?

Reply #408833 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:56 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754