LanceUppercut
Years ago

Spurs vs Bulls

@ Half time

Corey Joseph starts as PG.

Patty Mills has played 10 mins but has -14 in the +/- column. he made a spot up 3 and had a steal, layup and foul but it was waved away because the foul occurred before the shot.

Patty as a pro seems to struggle to find a happy medium, when he plays for the Boomers he's often a ball hog and shoots far too much but when Patty plays for the Spurs he plays extremely passively and looks to pass as soon as he's over the half and just sits in the corner and waits. People will say thats his role, but its hard to believe that to be the case as Joseph a D league call up makes its a point to be aggressive and look to penetrate inside. hence joseph has a +9 in the +/- column. Patty's game suffers tremendously and as such the whole team because he just doesn't utilise his ability to run and get cheap baskets inside.
not to mention his D is terrible, he seems to just follow the ball around and go behind screens, rather than stay in front of his man.

I am a big fan of Patty but would like to see him take the opportunity of court time and no parker and be a little more aggressive for the spurs.

Topic #31059 | Report this topic

Gnome  
Years ago

I think you posted too soon ;-)

Reply #408149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Patty is killing it! (in a good way)

Reply #408150 | Report this post

philly  
Years ago

Patty is in beast mode

Reply #408151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Patty having a real good game

Reply #408155 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Patty had a great second half. Well played.

Reply #408163 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

Phew! Chicken Little: That was a close one!

Reply #408164 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Haha yeah it seems i spoke to soon. Its great to see Patty hit his shots in the 2nd half.

I am a fan of his I want him to do well. but I was making a comment in regard to his style of play not just in regard to the first half of this game and not whether his shot is dropping.
His style at the spurs now seems to be Ray Allen rather than penetrate or push on the break, which is odd to watch a player like patty settle for jump shots. he has the ball in his hands very little, it seems that he plays as an undersized shooting guard rather than a PG, with Manu playing the PG position. I like that his shoot is much more consistent but would like to see him attempt to penetrate the lanes and kick it or look for his on shot inside as well as hit the open shoot.

Out of all the players on the spurs it seems that Patty has been banned from going inside the key or from controlling the play like a PG.

Reply #408169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think I trust pop

Reply #408188 | Report this post

bankedshot  
Years ago

He's hitting his shots 5-6 from the field and 3 from 3 behind the arc. Good to see him on the court. I didn't see Baynes though. is he still with the Spurs or back in D league?

Reply #408195 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

Baynes was in street clothes behind the Spurs bench tonight

Patty's learned to play within the system with the Spurs.. if you don't you get benched, it doesnt matter who you are. Ive seen Pop yank Parker out for bone head moves at time and keep him there so Patty know's if he wants to play.. he does what he's told, and to be honest look at the results. They might have Parker/Duncan & co out during some games and they still are a top team in the NBA because of the system the spurs play.

Reply #408229 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Sircreate I couldn't agree more, spurs have a great system and are great to watch. its good to see Patty play that well within the Spurs system but I would like to see him do more with the minutes he can get from the point of handling the ball and getting in the lanes and see him push the break.

Reply #408258 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Lance, in reality, Patty really is an undersized shooting guard. I'm not sure whether we'll ever see him develop into the type of point guard that you're willing him to be. Scoring is his strength, noted to his two biggest recent achievements - leading the scoring at the Olympics, and being in the NBA top 10 points per minutes last season.

Reply #408291 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:58 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754