Jack
Years ago

How do I improve my free throw shooting?

I'm actually a pretty good shooter from the field, but free throw shooting just kills me.

My shots are always on target, but they are also always too long or too short. Are there any tips of techniques I can use to get better?

Topic #31068 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Repetition

Reply #408309 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Keep your elbow straight, follow through and hold the follow through. After each shot just note where your arm ends up and how the successful the shot was. Make adjustments according to how good the shot was/wasn't Above all, it just comes down to practice and repetition.

Reply #408314 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Google 'Dave Hopla free throw shooting'. Apply Dave's techniques and fundamentals, then practice, practice, practice!

Reply #408315 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

Shooting fundamentals and repetition/practice is obviously key.

On the mental side:
* Decide to like free throws.
-- particularly if you've been missing a lot or important free throws. This will make doing the practice easier as well. They're "free" points, everyone loves free points. 2 points and foul on your opponent is better than just 2 points.
* Have a routine and stick to it.
-- In practice and in the game.
-- Your routine isn't just the physical, relax, shut everything else out and concentrate.

Reply #408320 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

All the advice so far is spot-on.

One more thing on the mental side: visualisation
Before you take the free throw, imagine taking the shot and the ball going through the basket.

If none of the above works, there's always Dwight Howard's online correspondence course.
They're doing a two for 1 offer at the moment where you get "David Lee Teaches Defence" for free!

Reply #408326 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

If you are a good shooter from the field but not a great free throw shooter I'm guessing your shot is a little flat?

If that's the case, try to get a little more arc on your jump shot and it should spill over to shooting free throws.

Would need to see your form to give any more helpful advice...

Reply #408334 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

The best thing you can do is not rush. Just take however long time you need. Take 2 or 3 bounces (whatever is more comfortable), steady yourself before shooting. Have a routine, stick to that routine. I like to step away after my first free throw, then set myself up once I get the ball returned to me. This way your aren't anchored to the spot and can re-set for the next.
Then once you have something that feels comfortable, just repeat the same thing over and over. Learn how a good shot feels, learn how a bad shot feels. You should pretty much know if a shot is going in by the feel.
Try make practice as game like as possible. Put pressure on yourself to make shots in practice, that way you have the same emotions going in the game situation.

Reply #408336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Small thing that helped me when I was a kid and I still do today - line up the seams on the ball so they are parallel with the free throw line and then always place the ends of your fingers on one of the seams. Helps you grip the ball and also helps with repetition and making sure each free throw is exactly the same.

Reply #408343 | Report this post

Jack  
Years ago

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Its gotten so bad that I just try to avoid free throws when in game. I pass the ball off before someone fouls me and I don't attack the ring as much as I used to.

Its really just gotten into my head. I play in a competition where stats are recorded and I dread looking at my stats seeing that I shoot 30% from the free throw line or something.

I feel that it definitely has to do with the pressure of shooting them in game and how I know in the back of my mind my percentage is being recorded.

Reply #408346 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Another thing that sometimes gets overlooked: are you squared up properly to the basket or are your feet at an angle?

Also remember that even the pros who shoot consistently poorly in games often shoot at a much higher clip during practises: which speaks volumes about the mental aspect of free throw shooting. If it's a mental thing and there isn't much wrong with your form, tinkering with it can make things worse.

Are you making them ok at practise?

Reply #408348 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

Bend your knees Katie!

Reply #408356 | Report this post

Fulukovi  
Years ago

Check the height in your release compared to when your shooting normally? Free throws your not trynna shoot over anybody so most people shoot under the basket or just short of it. Definetly set your feet. Try and shoot down and deep , do you have a good arc?
Think less rotations when your practising by yourself, the ball will more then often just hit the back of the ring and fall in . Bend your damn knees and always follow thru.

Reply #408361 | Report this post

Skyhooked  
Years ago

take all of this great advise, then fake it till you make it. The next time you go to that line you have to speak nothing but confidence into your own head. You will make this next shot. Great shooters believe that the next one is going in. Also, always remember the ones that went in. The next one will be just like it.

Reply #408363 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

And even then don't shy away from contact. A foul on an oppposition defender, especially an interior one, is a bonus even if you miss both freebies.

Reply #408457 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:29 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754