Skyhooked
Years ago

Osgood–Schlatter disease and basketball

Hi Guys,

As a parent of a very keen 14 year old that loves hoops, I want to get the word out there that if your kid has Osgood schlatters, make sure they take at least 6 months off. My kid can't play for the rest of the year now because he kept going (and I encouraged him) and now the bone has splintered. He will be in a brace for 8 weeks and who knows what after that. DO NOT buy tablets from America they don't do anything. There is no magic cure, unfortunately I found out almost too late, and I would hate this to happen to someone else.

Cheers

Topic #31071 | Report this topic

Bear  
Years ago

Obviously a serious case of O-S and a bad injury as a result of pushing it too hard, I feel for you and hope your boy recovers soon and well.

Had my oldest boy go through it, not so serious and one knee, not both.

Had to keep a close eye on it, avoid stairs and climbing, squats etc...

Ice, ice and more ice with rest is the thing to do, as a minimum. Too over a year to get it right, now perfect.

I have purchased ICE gel packs and quality Velcro straps which we still us on a regular basis after training and games for maintenance and to avoid injury as the kids are still growing.

My experience is that it can happen to any kid, tall or small and if you push them too hard without knowing exactly what level the injury is you will risk severe consequences.

As always, seek good physio advice and listen to it!

Reply #408372 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

'Took over a year...'

Reply #408373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I had it real bad when younger in both legs! Still have a massive lump and I'm 27 now.
A chiro helped heaps for me and ice after exercise and also a patella strap when playing training etc

Reply #408379 | Report this post

Pointguard  
Years ago

I had it too, I was told to have a year off but only lasted 3 months. I am 46 and have a huge lump on both knees but I run 20 to 30 kms per week with no dramas...

Patella straps help when you are young

Reply #408458 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Never had it diagnosed properly throughout youth despite countless physios looking at it and thousands of dollars spent (what exactly do these guys do?) and as a result still have massive lumps and pain in my mid 20s.

Can't play ball more than twice a week or it flares up, in one knee at a time, or if i'm particularly unlucky, both knees at the same time, or if i'm triple-y unlucky, alongside bouts of shin splints as well...

Reply #408465 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

thanks my son just started showing signs of this and have shown him these posts as physio has said ice ice and rest but he just keeps pushing himself, maybe after reading this he might listen

Reply #408728 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:59 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754