Lance_Uppercut
Years ago

Boomers/Opals New Coaches

According to this article Basketball Australia will be naming the Head Coaches for both the Opals and Boomers at the end of March.

The article suggests that the Opals role will be full-time and the Boomers will most likely be Part-time role. It has also named the favourites as Andrej Lemanis and Rob Beveridge for the Boomers.

what does everyone think between these two is the most likely to be given the job? Is BA looking at any other coaches to take up the position or are they going NBL route? thoughts

http://au.sports.yahoo.com/basketball/news/article/-/16137020/opals-and-boomers-to-have-new-coaches/

Topic #31075 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would think lemanis would be a shoe in for the boomers job,
The opals job will be interesting though.....

Reply #408451 | Report this post

Quickie  
Years ago

Berverage my bet

Reply #408469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bevo wants it badly.

Reply #408472 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Lemanis runs a clean nice style of basketball.

Bevo runs a team based on thuggery. I would prefer Australia play clean then be known as thugs.

Reply #408474 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Lemanis has indicated that he may step down from the Breakers if he's appointed Boomers Head Coach.
I hope Bevo gets the job if that's the case.

Reply #408475 | Report this post

aristotle  
Years ago

opals - buckle ? timms ? lucas ?

Reply #408481 | Report this post

Youknow ME  
Years ago

I would be happy with either to be honest.

Reply #408484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lemanis for the reason above, he plays clean basketball and achieves success.

Bevo plays based on thuggery and under achieves imo. Dont think his style if he coached as he does for Perth would work interntationally, would be similar to Gorj imo.

Imagine if we had guys like Martin and Redhage playing for Australia trying to get physical with LeBron, would be a joke, given Bevos style at the moment would basically rely on a tactic like that, it works somewhat in the NBL but wouldnt cut it against strong international teams imo.

I think Bevo is a good coach having said that and would like him to be an assistant with the view of maybe taking over one day, has to clean up his style first for me.

I want Lemanis (or McLeod) as head coach with Bevo and McLeod as assistants.

Reply #408485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Timms to China with Maher. Can I ask why her name could even be thrown up for discussion on a forum? Not to denigrate her amazing accomplishments as a player, but she has no Head Coaching experience. Given should would have had plenty of opportunity to progress down a coaching pathway, the fact that she hasn't would indicate Head Coaching is not her thing wouldn't it?

Reply #408486 | Report this post

Fulukovi  
Years ago

Lemanis

Reply #408499 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Brendan Joyce.....great knowledge of the international game.....has the respect of the older boomers.

not sure if Andre could pull the whole thing together and move forward.

(forget the nepotism stuff,his son is a long way off boomer selection)

Reply #408507 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Buckle for national duties... Hell no.. He's not the answer, average at best.

Reply #408514 | Report this post

Uncle fester  
Years ago

Agreed, we need Brendan Joyce in the job. Keep Bevo and Lemanis with their club teams.

Reply #408516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

brendan joyce, you must be joking uncle fester, marty clarke could do better

Reply #408517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strong rumour for Maher to China. Not sure how he would go again over there.

Reply #408523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how come the womens coach is fulltime and the mens coach part time ??

Reply #408525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how come the womens coach is fulltime and the mens coach part time ??
-------

Majority of the Boomers play overseas - Europe, NBA etc, so having a full time coach based in Aus wasn't going to be that beneficial to the team.
There are more of the Opals players who do return (or based permanently) in Australia for them to consider there was sufficient reason to make that job full time.

Its not prioritising one job over the other, just looking at what made most sense.

Reply #408539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think it would be on par, most of the women are playing overseas also.

Reply #408541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

full time womens coach cost = part time mens coach

OK ?

Reply #408564 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

I would like to see Shawn Dennis as the Opals coach. Defiantly not Buckle or Timms.

Reply #408737 | Report this post

VP  
Years ago

I think if you are going to appoint a Boomers or Opals Coach you have to have quality candidates.

Someone who has been a NBL or WNBL head coach at least - if we are talking of exisiting assistant coaches then the appointment has no credibility.

The only other person not mentioned for Opals could be a Phil Brown who has coached many of the girls as juniors through the AIS. Not sure where Phil is now involved.

Alternatively if you were to look outside Australia then possibly current US College coaches could be considered.

The decisions are not easy but if want to be successful then the right decisions need to be made.

Reply #408743 | Report this post

VP  
Years ago

I think if you are going to appoint a Boomers or Opals Coach you have to have quality candidates.

Someone who has been a NBL or WNBL head coach at least - if we are talking of exisiting assistant coaches then the appointment has no credibility.

The only other person not mentioned for Opals could be a Phil Brown who has coached many of the girls as juniors through the AIS. Not sure where Phil is now involved.

Alternatively if you were to look outside Australia then possibly current US College coaches could be considered.

The decisions are not easy but if want to be successful then the right decisions need to be made.

Reply #408744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any reason the Opals coach has to be Australian?..advertise world wide ,who knows who might apply..Lets face it it isnt a bad gig,and some of our coaches may learn from new appointee

Reply #408748 | Report this post

noah  
Years ago

women's coach is full time because Opal's have better chance of a gold medal then Boomers. There was an article on the BA site about this recently when they did the announcement of a full time women's coach.

Reply #408769 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

My thoughts are Lemanis has the job now..BA originally going to make the announcement at the end of March but decided to wait until after the grand final series. Lemanis has been interviewed for the job and has said that if he takes it he will leave the Breakers as he doesn't feel he could coach Boomers and NBL side and give them both the attention they need.

Now with 3 NBL titles and beating his main competitor does this all but seal his job as the Boomers coach?

Reply #413580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goorjian is being chased.

Reply #413627 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:34 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754