Fulukovi
Years ago

Lakers chances from here?

WHo woudve thought there season wouod turn around so much? Chances of them being the darkhorse now?

Topic #31088 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Original title might've spoiled one of today's games.

Reply #408702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

16-6 over their last 22 games. I think they'll grab the 7th seed at the very worst, wouldn't surprise me one bit though if they get the 6th seed. I think that the x-factor for this team in the playoffs is going to be Gasol. The Lakers second unit when Dwight is having a rest is severely undersized. Gasol won't be asked to do much. 15-20 minutes a night i would think just to spell Howard and keep the size balance. I wouldn't give him major minutes because I think they've got the right formula at the moment and too many minutes could cause a big disruption to the rotation chemistry wise.

At the end of the day, I would be surprised if they do some damage in the playoffs, especially if Kobe's form continues and Dwight keeps improving defensively.

Reply #408707 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

They will always be a bit of a joke until they get a proper coach, but they are definitely the most feared "lower" playoff seed in the West (if they make it).

Both Nash and D'antoni don't belong here. Would have been better off signing Rick Adelman way back before Mike Brown and bringing in a cheap, solid, younger, less bally-hooed PG like Ray Felton.

Reply #408709 | Report this post

Fulukovi  
Years ago

I think they have finally found there mojo and D12 has finally landed in LA. Good luck to them but OKC too much for kobe and his 10guitars

Reply #408739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick why the hate on D'Antoni? Sure, he's never won an NBA Title before but Mike leans on Kobe a lot. This is a veteran team with veteran experience. Many of these players have won titles (and in some cases, multiple titles). They know what it takes to win in the Playoffs.

Rick Adelman would've been a good fit yes, but D'Antoni's system with some wrinkles seems to be starting to work. We'll only really know if D'Antoni is the right choice by the end of next season, once he's had a full off-season with the team to really shape it. I disagree that Nash shouldn't be in LA. He's one of the best shooters of all time. D'Antoni's system requires elite shooters to spread the floor. He's one of them. In addition, he is an extra guy to run the pick and roll with. Kobe and Nash have been very effective running the 1-2 pick and roll lately. He's a multi faceted player who can play either the 1 or the 2 spot. Perfect for the system.

Reply #408747 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I'm not denying Nash's shooting ability or even his lagacy as a player, he is one of the all time greats. But, if you want an undersized shooting guard who is the worst defender in the league at any position (despite his obvious offensive brilliance), they can be had cheaper and younger than Nash. It's just not the most efficient way to go about things. But Nash isn't the biggest problem with this team, obviously.

As for D'Antoni, I won't bother wasting time trashing him in any detail whatsoever. I will let Jalen Rose do it for me:

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/43774/nba-today-jalen-rose-luc-richard-mbah-a-moute

Hell, for all we know, they could pull it together come playoff time and make a run. They still have an amazing roster. It just hurts my brain thinking about what this team would be capable of under a proper coach...

Reply #408753 | Report this post

Fulukovi  
Years ago

A proper coach like Marty Clarke?

Reply #408863 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:07 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754