Shells
Years ago

Kevin Lisch - Australian Citizen??

Can anyone tell me if the rumour I heard is true......
Kevin Lisch has applied for Australian Citizenship?? ( since getting married and serving qualifying period of time)

If this is true....GREAT NEWS for the Wildcats....

Topic #31099 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should be an aussie by the start of next season, just hope he stays a wildcat?

Reply #408859 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Not much impact for the Wildcats. We already have an import spot and it doesn't help our points or salary cap situation.
Good news for the Boomers though. I'd take him in the team over Gibbo.

Reply #408860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah unfortunately it would make little difference to the wildcats as he still would be a 10 point player in the cap for next season. Gone are the days you could stack the team with american talent. He did mentioned recently he would love to represent the boomers if given the opportunity.

Reply #408862 | Report this post

catsfan  
Years ago

will he stay a wildcat though?

Reply #408868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His wife is really pretty!!

Reply #408870 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Well, his naturalisation may not help the Cats but it would help the other teams competing for his services.

I suspect that a lot will rest on whether Bevo gets the Boomers job. If he does and he gives up the Cats role as a result then anything could happen.
There isn't a more stable group in the league, but Bevo is undoubtedly the key person holding it all together. If it breaks up then Lisch would have to be one of the guys who stands to gain the most financially by chasing his true value on the market so I could definitely imagine him leaving.

Reply #408871 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

His wife (Rachel) is originally from Sydney FWIW.

Reply #408872 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Were Kev ends up in the NBL might have alot to do with his Wife's playing career...then again if a big money offer comes from Europe he might jump and a jet and be gone!

Reply #408883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His wife (Rachel) is originally from Sydney FWIW.

I remembered that when he got a nice welcome from people after the last game in Sydney with his bags ready to no doubt spend a few extra days in town... He looked good hanging around the SEC after the game, very suitable :D

Reply #408894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will be a 1 club player

Reply #408916 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

^ bahahaha

Reply #408926 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I think Perth fans have to listen to these rumours every off season. Redhage, Knight, Martin and Lisch have all been linked to other clubs for the past three years....hasn't happened yet. I think its a lot of wishful thinking from the fans that hate Perth.

Reply #408933 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That might be true, but with a European passport and a wife from Sydney there are probably more strings pulling at Kev than the others.

Reply #408935 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I'm talking about other NBL clubs. I think the fact that he has signed with Redhage's Puerto Rican team means he is returning to the NBL. But my point is that each year the rumours fly, some say they are "done deals" yet it obviously has never happened.

Would be good to see Lisch go head to head vs Marto a few times a year. Might get the Cats vs Kings margin under 20 for a change.

Reply #408938 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

He should be a Boomer before Gibbo for sure.

Reply #408958 | Report this post

Youknowme  
Years ago

Theres some good swing man/guard options for the boomers now. Patty, Delly, Ingles, newley, broekhoff, Exum even. Wouldnt mind him as a 9-12th man on the team but the other guys have him beat in athleticism

Reply #409105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lisch is clutch

Reply #409115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

aghh i hope kev stays with the wildcats! he's one of the most important guys and I'll just miss his class and humbleness on the court if he goes!

fingers crossed that he'll stay at the cats!!

Reply #409116 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"I think the fact that he has signed with Redhage's Puerto Rican team means he is returning to the NBL."

I dont think the two are linked.

Reply #409121 | Report this post

doctor Basketball  
Years ago

Can we stop suggesting that all these old players be playing on the Boomers team at the Olympics - Kevin Lisch should never be considered an option because
A) He is American any way you slice it
B) why take up a spot with a guy who probably wont play instead of getting a young guy in there for experience.
C) who is that guy going to guard?
D) he is not dropping buckets in NBL averaging 30ppg so not that impressive - while the league is weak.

and people stop talking about Damo and Gibbo and Boomers.......they are done they will be old next Olympics and they are not better than Patty, Delly, Exum or Simmons come on.....Patty will be getting up there by then too.

Reply #410381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When Damo and Patty matched up, who won?

Lisch has shown he can be a very good player in one of the better leagues going around, I think he will be fine internationally where he cant be manhandled so much.

He could well be our best guard given he plays both ends, plays under control and hits open perimeter shots consistently. He has also developed his playmaking a lot the last two years.

Reply #410385 | Report this post

doctor Basketball  
Years ago

"When Damo and Patty matched up, who won?

Lisch has shown he can be a very good player in one of the better leagues going around, I think he will be fine internationally where he cant be manhandled so much.

He could well be our best guard given he plays both ends, plays under control and hits open perimeter shots consistently. He has also developed his playmaking a lot the last two years"

Firstly - Damo vs Patty? Ahhhhhhhhhh one guy plays in the NBA and the other plays NBL......hmmmmmm i'll take the NBA guy on his worst night thanks.

Lisch representing Australia is ridiculous it is laughable.....Not only will this guy be 30+ years old by the time the next olympics rolls around......He is at best a good player in a TERRIBLE......I repeat TERRIBLE league.....The NBL is not even close to be a recognized league anymore.......

Saying Lisch should play at the Olympics is like watching D grade mens basketball and taking the best player in D grade and saying he will be great in the championship league.....NO NO NO he is the best of the worst which doesnt make him good....It makes him the best of the worst....Ill take Dante Exum, Ben Simmons, Cody Ellis, Hugh Greenwood right now.

These good/ok players of yesterday are standing in the way of our best young talent.....time to push "the good ole boys" aside and let the new young guys develop and hold the torch......I would rather watch young up and coming guys like the young guys mentioned get beaten now in international competition and win a medal in 4 years after they develop.

WAKE UP

Reply #410585 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Just woke up from a dream that Peter Crawford made the Australian Olympic team and saw court time in London. Dream then morphed to next Olympics in which Kevin Lisch substitutes in for Crawford. This part of my dream was more symbolic than premonition as everyone knows that a shooting guard playing NBL wouldn't make an olympic team, especially Crawf!

Oh I also dreamt that Damian Martin played defence on two guys who's previous places of basketball employment had been with NBA clubs; they played either point guard or combo guard roles for the Melbourne Tigers. Damo did just fine against both these players in my dream.

Agree that some of the kids mentioned in the previous post should be given a chance to be Boomers, but I'm not going to completely dismiss the value of Kevin Lisch being a Boomer if he became available. K'Lisch has established himself as a marquee player in league that is recognised by other respected international leagues as being a particurly sound "Small ball centric" competition. Those young guys haven't broken through that ceiling just yet so Lisch would sit in front of them at this point in time (were he eligible).

Reply #410612 | Report this post

doctor Basketball  
Years ago

@Bigads go back to sleep......Your dreams sound boring and the NBL is a garbage league not even a blip on the international radar.....You and the rest of "dreamers" are talking about putting time into developing/using a guy in the olympic team who will be 31 years old when it rolls around......Instead of looking at guys like Exum who will be 20 (getting ready for the NBA draft) and Simmons who will be 19 (who will also be getting ready for NBA draft)......The young college guys now like delly will be 25-27 and will be vets of the team. Patty will even be old by international standards and i dare say the young guys coming through will be our best and most capable players athletically and skill wise.

stop talking about these NBL guys like they are young studs......They were very good 5 years ago and are ok now in a bad league.....A guy like Damian Martin should have been given an Olympic jersey 5 years ago but the BA system screwed him over.....Putting time into older "seasoned" guys and getting nothing in return, Damian and others were victims of a system that is going to possibly give them an Olympic chance they should not get now over a younger guy coming through.

Lets not continue to repeat mistakes of the past

Reply #410628 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

What garbage. 31 is not too old.
For the Olympics you pick your best team, and if a 31 year old guy is at that time better than some 22 year old them they should go.
Lots of good talent coming through college and other pathways, but still not a hell of a lot of guards who can reliably knock down the 3, so Lisch's hat remains well and truly in the ring IMO.
His size is a factor against him. His age is most definitely not.

Reply #410629 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:54 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754