Isaac
Years ago

Backward culture makes punchline of Brandon Knight

For this, he's a punch line now. He's a joke. For everyone celebrating Jordan's fantastic lob dunk over a guard some 8 inches shorter and 80 pounds lighter, they've made Knight an object of ridicule. A widely followed parody account of comedian Kevin Hart tweeted that Jordan had been brought up on "charges of rape & aggravated assault against Brandon Knight," and tombstones declaring Knight dead were popping up on the Internet.

The message is clear to players everywhere, on every level: Run away. Hide. Don't try to take the charge. Don't try to disrupt the play. There's no reward. This is how backward the basketball culture has become, how twisted the value system.
Full story

Topic #31112 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

Personally, I would like to see a no call in such situations. 2 guys just competing for the ball. Im sure it wouldn't have been a foul if such a contest in the air had happened at half court.

Reply #408976 | Report this post

Howto  
Years ago

Athletic move my Jordan, no doubt. But when it comes to the crunch and when the chips are down I'd rather have a player like Knight on my team who'll sacrifice himself in an attempt stop a bucket. If I was Detroit, I'd be signing him up to an extension and looking for others with some ticker - old school Detroit players.

Reply #408982 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

that dunk was only worth 2 points wasn't it?

Reply #408990 | Report this post

Fulukovi  
Years ago

Good effort to even get up there and defend, he was better off defending the lob then the shot/dunk

It wasn't azz nasty as any of Kemps posters!

Reply #408995 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

I don't get it either - yes, it was a hateful dunk by Jordan, he made a great play for his team. But Knight deserves big props too - it takes balls to try to get in there and stop the easy dunk.

Take a look at the replay - it wasn't an easy dunk, even for Jordan. He had a fair arm extension and he had to get up high to avoid the contest.

If the situation had been different just slight - DJ could've missed the jam because of Knight's contest, then missed both free throws. Unfortunately for Detroit that didn't happen, but I applaud him for at least trying to do all he could for his team.

Reply #409006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

did he make the free throw?

Reply #409012 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah he made the free throw. No way that should have been a foul though. Good on Knight for contesting it. Good on Jordan for a ridiculous finish.

Reply #409015 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Fulukovi, that post reminded me of Chris Gatling's reaction to Kemp dunking on him. A classic.

Reply #409020 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Always keep in mind: without the backwards culture prevalent particularly in the US, basketball worldwide wouldn't be as big as it is now.

I'd be willing to bet his teammates, coaches and respected competitors hold Knight in high regard because of his effort - and unfortunately sacrifice - in that play.

Those who respect the game are the people worth paying attention to, not backwards fans.

Reply #409047 | Report this post

Fulukovi  
Years ago

cedric jackson went up for some mean jams on Sunday

Get up!

Reply #409088 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

I thought it was great that he went to disrupt the pass. Especially in the NBA where playing defense is on things like that is frowned upon.

It was like Zo and Dikembe, back in the 90's, they challenged everything even if they did end up on a lot of highlight reels. They were hard-nosed and didn't care, so props to a non 7-footer for going up and challenging that! He wasn't that far off either.

Reply #409180 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:19 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754