Anonymous
Years ago

Gibson all but gone?

MELBOURNE will have cause to celebrate soon if the rumors I hear in LA are true that 36ers co-captain Adam Gibson will hang his shingle in the Victorian capital next season.

That whisper is becoming a roar as loud as a Tiger's.

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/around-rd-22/

Topic #31115 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flynn is gone, Scott is gone, Lewis is gone.

Gibson high priority.

Reply #409021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They can have him, Gibbo has been a major disappointment this year & has disappeared in a lot of games when the 6ers needed him the most!

Reply #409024 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

why is scott gone? he has been good.

Reply #409025 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He went from playing alongside Deleon or Bruton or guys like that to having to shoulder a lot more of the load. I think he's pretty much gone (the other GCB guys keen to keep him here) but it's easier to run a starting backcourt of Gibson and import than Cadee and import, or import and Creek or import and import (twice the gamble).

Reply #409027 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Scott would be an asset to the Sixers

Reply #409029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

100% Gone, will sign for Tigers.
Weigh also out the door.

Reply #409031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Over rated!! How he got a spot in the boomers infront of damo is beyond me at least damo u get the same every single time. 36ers need winners that no what it takes and how it feels to win!

Reply #409034 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Why would Scott be gone? He has been a great player when he hasn't had a brain explosion.

Good luck to Gibson if Flynn and Scott is gone. Another dark season ahead for Gibson if they don't get Worthington or 2 really good imports.

Reply #409038 | Report this post

Murray Magpie  
Years ago

I too am on the Gibbo is a bust program. A sports psychologist friend was at the game on Saturday and declared that Gibson was not engaged and was phoning in his effort. Hard to argue with that especially the way he bungled the last play. We can land an import PG for cheaper with more consistency.

Reply #409042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seth Scott would be of absolutely no use to Adelaide. You reckon it's not bad enough having to cover for DJ on the defensive end of the floor. This bloke makes DJ look like competent almost.

Has Seth Scott ever played two seasons for the sane club as a pro???

Reply #409043 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

He probably Just doesn't want to be here. Shouldering a load after being partnered with a stronger guard rotation at other teams shouldn't be a legitimate reason. The guy is a professional and gets paid reasonably well to do what he does- Deal with it. Probably looking at a long term contract now, maybe Adelaide is not his preferred living destination.

How Legit is Weigh info ? Would be disappointed to see him leave, simply because Marty no longer will be coaching, or whatever.

Reply #409045 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

Weigh will stay
Ervin > Gibson

next Season looking like

Ervin
Import / Cadee
Weigh
Petrie
Johnson

Daly
Schenscher
Creek
Pero

Maher as Head Coach with potential for Marty to be the assistant

Reply #409048 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

I wouldn't be surprised if Deleon ended up here next year

Reply #409049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope Weigh is gone, has been a frustrating player. I still dont know what he offers and what type of player he is.

Reply #409051 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Will be seriously depressing if Gibson leaves, Franchise man!

What doesn't he like about Adelaide that a rejuvenation (courtesy of a new coach) can't fix ?

Reply #409052 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Gibson was not engaged and was phoning in his effort.
There was a passage where he really fired up though and you could tell he was beyond engaged. But he does coast at other points. Still going to be better than many alternatives, I think.

DJ had some very energised sequences including on D. If he played like that at all times, he'd be an even bigger asset.

Ingles13, I don't think we should go for Deleon. Need someone more reliable.

Reply #409053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like FYI's line up of

Ervin
Import / Cadee
Weigh
Petrie
Johnson

Daly
Schenscher
Creek
Pero

Maybe consider Warbout or another PF instead of Pero, but id be happy if we ended up with that line up, for me Ervin and a import, the worse case should be Dorsey, is better than Cadee and Gibson.

Reply #409059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rumour is that Flynn is on $50,ooo a month. Gibson and everyone else a cheaper option.

Reply #409060 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Weigh offers plenty. Not always reflected in stats lines. FYI, In regard to Weigh re signing- Is that just a feeling or have you heard something?

Reply #409062 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Weigh at the Hawks in Gordies system would be great to see. Sure up the defence and rebounding in the three spot. Get plenty of open looks and to allow Coenraad enough minutes spend some time backing up Forman in the 4.

Reply #409063 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

yeah, considered the Hawks a likely destination for an outgoing Weigh. would suit them and they are probably eying Sav replacements.

Reply #409064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weigh improving a team's D? Teams go at him, damn near everytime we play Sydney they run isos against him.

Reply #409071 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

I disagree that Gibson hasn't been engaged, despite what the 'expert' sport psychologist observed.

The guy simply isn't great at using the pick & roll, which dominates the offence... after scripted and largely useless ball and player movement, of course.

Add to this the fact that he isn't a 'scorer' - but rather a capable shooter - and that this season he has shouldered more of the offensive load than he ever as in his relatively short career, the results are to be expected.

Oh, and did I mention Marty as a possible factor?

I for one hope the rumors are false and Gibson returns to Adelaide. A backcourt of Gibson, Cadee and Daly would be monstrous in a few short years.

Reply #409072 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Might sound like a stupid question but how can these players be gone when you dont have a coach for next season.Isnt it upto the coach to decide who stays and who goes.

Reply #409078 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Would be happy to see Weigh go, but that's mostly due to his ridiculous over-use as one of Clarke / Ginger Gnome's boys.

If he was run at reasonable minutes, his rebounding and outside game might be of use in a properly structured system.

Gibson as a second guard to a solid import might work, but he's not a go-to guy more often than not.

Cliche' to say, but we need a Maher type consistent game winner in my opinion.

Reply #409079 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

please don't use Gibsons name and the Boomers in the same sentence....its embarrasing.

Reply #409082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seth hasn't been offered a second year. Tipping those at Tiger land thought the brain explosions and now the injury were too much to risk next season.

Lewis also not offered a contract.

Flynn = gone.

Everyone else offered a spot for next year.

Reply #409084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So would Gibbo be the starting point guard? I think Goulding is doing a great job as starting shooting guard

Reply #409086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Worthington for Scott, Gibson for Flynn, and a back-up who can handle the ball for Lewis. Maybe Dillon if points add up once re-ratings are done.

Reply #409090 | Report this post

Uncle fester  
Years ago

Gibbo/ Goulding starting combo in melb would be great. They are mates and know each others games well.

Reply #409091 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

I think Gibson has been a real classy player this year. Our offensive system is absolutely pathetic and Gibson works tirelessly to get something out of it. He's been the only player all year that I haven't been frustrated by. He's not a first option guy. He's a really unselfish second or third option that is going to get the most out of the guys around him. Without him, I really hate to think what this season would have been like for us. He really did hold this team together. I hope he stays, I really hope he stays.

Reply #409095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

J Flynn on 10k game. Widely know, he spouts off around town.

Crocs also interested in Gibbo, Ervin wants waaay too much. But Gibbo likes more 'late night social options' than TOwnsville offers.

Reply #409096 | Report this post

Youknowme  
Years ago

Gibsons a good player, but performed better everywhere else he has been. He wouldnt be a huge loss to the program.. they need to import a PG

Reply #409102 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Some people talk so much crap on here... Why would we want an expensive PG from states when we can have one for less and who is Aussie and a known quantity. Not to mention is already well adjusted to playing with certain people.

Reply #409104 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Happy Days, player option on the second year of the contract.

Reply #409110 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Definitely need to keep him, but unfortunately Gibbo is used to winning and the past season would have him wanting out.
He's from Melbourne so wouldn't surprise me if he ended up there with Goulding and potentially Wortho.

Reply #409122 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Thanks Issac, that makes sense. Nice clause to have in your contract when your in demand.

Reply #409139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isnt he from Tassie? But he has played in Melbourne previusly (Dragons).

I agree though, he has basically won (had winning seasons at least) at every stop of his NBL career, so this year would have been a massive dissapointment for him, especially with the talent at our disposal.

Keeping him should be a priority, he was pretty crucial to our wins and basically held together an already struggling offense, add that with his fantastic D and leadership.

Reply #409140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He and Marty are very tight, Marty gone his gone.
And he reads Hoops so no wonder he is out of here.
All the talent will go at some point!!

Reply #409150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its got more to do with lifestyle than simple on court success. He LOVES Adelaide for the basketball, having a purpose build stadium with gym and changeroom facilities. A stark contrast to what he had previoulsy on the GC where training moved from school to school living out of his sports bag. Not being successful this season has been a downer for sure but he knows he is young enough that he can be a part of building something on court if he stays in the one place.

The simple reason pushing him to look elsewhere is he is bored in Adelaide. Hes in his early 20's and has no family or close ties in Adelaide. Sure there are his team mates but you need to have a wider circle than just those who work with you and those who only know you from your work. He wants to move somewhere where he is closer to family/friends and has more of a life away from basketball, and unfortunately for the 36ers, Adelaide aint it!

Thats not saying he is a party animal and feels the need to be out 7 days a week living a rock star lifestyle, he just wants to have the opportunity to be a guy in his 20's hanging out with his mates when hes not working.

Reply #409151 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If he's in his early 20s, I'm in my early 30s - this is good news!

'150, Marty has brought three poor years. You can blame all this on some whiny fans on a forum and try to make people in Adelaide feel that they're to blame, but you're just lying to yourself. Three full years. Ample chances to recruit the necessary players, try different tactics and find the formula for success, but the results are right there on the ladder each year.

Reply #409155 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Of Stephen Weigh : Seems the guy playing the most minutes on the bottom team will be the worst in the league for the team's +/-s. That's only natural.
' What can I say .. . Tough titties .'

Reply #409156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha Isaac only messing with you, i know this is your world, enjoy!

Reply #409160 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'160, no, I don't think that's it. You are trying to get some cathartic revenge on those who have spoken negatively of your coaching pals. It's pretty transparent.

Reply #409164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Come On Isaac, Haters hate, this forum is proof of that.
Dont let the truth get in the way of a good topic.

Reply #409174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibbo in melb makes sense with Golding and Nate to help
Drop Flynn and Scott and get a guy like dunnigan at the 5 spot as the sole import
Perhaps pick up Barlow if points allow as he can play pg to pf when needed

Reply #409175 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Yes! Barlow back at PG for Melbourne will bring some much needed LOLs that they've been missing this season.

Reply #409177 | Report this post

Uncle fester  
Years ago

Lock in Wortho to melb also.

Reply #409183 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I doubt Gibbo is on less money than your standard import....I've heard he is on import money?

Gibbo/Import is much of a muchness really if you can get a quality import. Gibbo is less risk but an import in my opinion can have more upside as Gibbo doesnt really offer alot offensively.

The Sixers dont posess any offensive fire power in the back court and Cadee is signed for next season so if Gibbo stays that doesnt really improve.

Also, if Gibbo wants to leave because we are not winning then I dont think he is really a player you want anyway. You want players that want to bring this club back to its glory days even if they have to endure a bad season or 2.

Gibbo and Weigh are interchangeable with 2 imports...you just have to get the imports right - thats the tough part. Ideally both imports would be good defenders, 1 a gun scorer and the other a great slasher with at least a decent mid range game.

I dont think a line up of the below plus another 2 would be all that bad;

Cadee/Daly
Import
Import/Creek
Petrie
DJ/Schenscher

Cadee is more of a distributor and if you get him a scoring guard to play with he will improve. Daly slots into the role now left vacant by Crossy. The 2 imports and Creeky rotate through the 2 & 3 spots and Peach, DJ & Schensch rotate through the 4 & 5 spots.

Reply #409194 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Great post Tornado

Reply #409202 | Report this post

JimmyBuckets  
Years ago

Agreed Tornado, like the potential line up and agree we need a scoring guard and an athletic all round sg/sf, we should be able to acheive this at worse get a Ervin, Deleon, Ubaka type to fill the guard spot and a Dorsey type to fill the sg/sf role.

Id personally go with atleast 1 import who has played NBL before, even if its the cheaper one on a decent but not stud import ie Dorsey or Ubaka, (even 2 if you can get a stud like Ervin) and then get a guy who at minimum has good d-league numbers or a solid league in Europe like VTB, French, etc, seems like if they do well in those leagues they will be atleast reasonable NBL imports. Farley was in France before NBL, Jamar Wilson played VTB before coming to the NBL. Much less risk than a guy straight out of college or from a lower league in Europe/Aisa. Also getting guys out of those leagues is probably more realistic financially as we obviously cant compete with the big Euro leagues.

Obviously getting the right style of player and using them to there strengths is the key, something current coaches couldnt get right with there imports.

Reply #409224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jimmy,

Pretty sure Scott Christopherson's team from Belarus played in the VTB United League.

Reply #409235 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah, but he's talking about players who were good in that league!

Reply #409237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not Gibbos fault he plays with two dribble happy point guards because he is best as a two man

Reply #409244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not Gibbos fault he plays with two dribble happy point guards because he is best as a two man

Reply #409245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul,

When Christopherson was signed I thought you said you couldn't take too much out of his time there?

Reply #409247 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I tend to disagree with Tornado to a point.

I think the PG spot is one of the crucial ones that needs consistancy to be successful.

Having someone like Gibbo on your side creates the ability to keep the same PG spot for a number of years.

Very rarely do you find a good import PG that will stick around.

Almost every year teams change their imports, I feel having a good Aussie point guard allows them to get to know how the majority of players play, which helps everyone on the team.

Perth have been very successfull with Damian Martin and Brad Robbins, Wollongong have been good with Rhys Martin, New Zealand had Henare and CJ (Braswell stayed for a second season) there for a while.

South Dragons and Brisbane won with Gibbo, Melbourne Tigers had success with D-Mac who played for Melbourne for 6 seasons.

Consistancy is extremely important at the PG spot so bringing in an import for one season is always a concern.

Throw what you can at Gibbo.

Reply #409249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't be disappointed to see him go assuming he would be on pretty decent money, his stock would've been a fair bit higher last offseason than it will be this offseason so would prefer it if an import like Ervin was targeted.

Reply #409251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wortho, goulding and gibbo bring back the dayz on the gc. He fits in perfect there, they all like to cry a bit

Reply #409261 | Report this post

Hawks fan  
Years ago

If he is in Melbourne they may make another series of basketball wives, where did his old girlfriend go? In the last series she refused to go to the GC.

Reply #409273 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Panther, Gibbo has been playing as a SG this season and even the season prior in GC....Cadee has been playing the PG role.

Why cant Cadee be that consistent PG for years to come? The kid has potential but needs a scorer in the backcourt.

Gibbo is not a SG and is more suited to the PG role....I whole heartedly agree with you there.

However, in pressure situations and against the better imports he has been relied upon and he hasn't been all that convincing.

If you keep Gibbo you're still going to have Cadee. If you start Gibbo and bring Cadee off the bench who do you play at SG, keeping in mind we have to fit within the points and salary cap?

I'm not saying Gibbo is a bad player but realistically he is limited and not really what the team needs based on signings already locked away for next season. An import in my opinion has the potential to offer more upside and make up a more balanced team...

Reply #409280 | Report this post

JimmyBuckets  
Years ago

Agree with Tornado, and yes Paul is correct i was referring to imports who have done well in VTB, not just played.

I think as a rule you can basically expect the same numbers from a guy between NBL, D-League, VTB, France and a few other good Euorpean leagues, there will be some slight differences due to coaching, game style, etc but as a rule if you are after a guy who can score 10-15 ppg, get a guy who has done it in one of those leagues, use him properly and they will do it, same applies if you are chasing 5+ apg, or 8-10 rpg.

Unless its purely financial i really dont see the point in bringing in a guy who averages 6ppg in one of those leagues ala SC, I'd almost guarantee they wont do any better in the NBL. Even if it is financial i wouldnt bother. May aswell have kept CJ, signed a Aussie out of SEABL ala Burdon or gone for the known quantity in Dorsey, which is what i wanted them to do, in fact very frustrated they passed him up for SC, when cost would have been the same!

Reply #409283 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

I hope he stays. He has shown a lot of frustration this year and still worked hard most games. Another player who will benefit with the coaching change and only improve.

Reply #409288 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Wouldn't be overly keen on a Cadee/Daly combo. Not doubting their abilities just from a Youth/experience balance perspective. Ideally, if they went down this path, would be sensible to add a combo guard with the import spot for support.

If the next best player on the FA list is considered to much of a downgrade to directly replace gibbo, then I think the import spot is the most likely option.

Unfortunately, I cannot see Daly getting a roster spot as long as Cadee is there. Coaches would be cautious of placing 2 young, physically underdeveloped point guards against the Damian Martins of the world etc. If that is the case, hopefully Daly's stocks have risen enough for him to finally be considered elsewhere. Just my opinion though.

Are there many capable PG's running around domestically that could just play a role in the event of Gibbos departure ? I can think of Luke Cooper.

Reply #409291 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:53 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754