Anonymous
Years ago

36ers new coach - not Marty

After reading some of the posts from the sixers meeting and the artcile in the paper today I'm getting worried that 36ers management haven't totally dismissed the idea of Marty coaching again next year.
The paper article indicates players signed for next year all support marty.
My question to everybody would be what would your reaction be if Marty is resigned next year?

Topic #31130 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

Riot?

Reply #409347 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Be a riot if he stayed!!!

Reply #409348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

players should have no say in who is coach, as soon as players start running the club all hell brakes lose, just look at centrals women at the moment!

Reply #409349 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

I honestly think its too easy to blame it all on the coaches and if he is re signed I would back the club in. As was mentioned last night , you dont want a culture of changing coaches every 2 years. FWIW Marty and Mark arent bad coaches , far from it. I think we all need to let the board make the decisions in what will be in the best interests of OUR CLUB and support it. Our record isnt flash but not too many games I remember have we been blown off the court and easily could have won them if a shot had fallen etc.

Reply #409350 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I read that as Boti's opinion. Also, it's never clear how much of what players say in the media is their genuine opinion and how much is posturing.

If I was once of the Sixers players, I'd be 99% sure that Clarke was gone. Crowds can't stand him, his attitude and handling of the media is atrocious, and then there's the utterly abysmal W/L record of his time here (you know, the one that 'doesn't really matter'). His 'three year plan' has been an unabashed failure for all concerned, with the possible exception of a Hoops troll.

So if Clarke and the Rat have sunk the ship and will likely be pushed off of it, what does a player stand to gain by bagging them? Not a good look for the incoming coach or club management. Better off offering support, keeping your nose clean and waiting until the inevitable dumping.

/2c

Reply #409351 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Well, I think his tenure as Head Coach should be well and truly over. He should move into his more 'suited' role of being an assistant coach.

It would keep the existing players happy to know he's on board and will still have an impact on their development as players; but it's blatantly obvious that the in-game mindset needs to be changed and that comes from a new Head Coach.

For me, it's one of those double-edged sword topics. The terrible performance dictates that Marty should have been given the arse ASAP; however you would be an idiot if you didn't try and utilize Marty's strengths while he's a part of the club (aka, focus on player development).

Head Coach: Absolutely not.
Assistant Coach: Still a strong candidate.

Reply #409357 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

@Pure Silk - I don't think you've been paying much attention:

"As was mentioned last night , you dont want a culture of changing coaches every 2 years."

Marty's had 3 years, and hasn't demonstrated that he's instilled a culture worth continuity beyond the life of his contract.

Reply #409360 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

5 year plan is the only option.

Reply #409366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe it's the assistant and not the head coach who is the problem?

Reply #409374 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Does anyone think he would accept an assistant role with the club?

Reply #409376 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The players seem to love him on the surface.

Based on W/L record, you would line him up and invoke rule 303.

For the record. The coaching results are:
(coach, W, L, Win %)

Ken Cole 44/8 85%
Gary Fox 55/19 74%
Mike Dunlap 51/27 65%
Mike Osborne 42/29 59%
Phil Smyth 185/147 56%
Don Monson 14/12 54%
Son Shipway 38/38 50%
Dave Claxton 14/16 47%
Scott Ninnis 26/33 44%

Marty Clarke 25/57 30%

Reply #409380 | Report this post

thebrownhornet  
Years ago

"players should have no say in who is coach, as soon as players start running the club all hell brakes lose, just look at centrals women at the moment!"

Just a quick heads up anonymous....Dean mentioned a number of times in the members forum that the players had no input into the selection of coaching staff.

The issue of players wanting to stay or go depending on who they want as coach was discussed but given the thumbs down.

Reply #409382 | Report this post

JimmyBuckets  
Years ago

W/L % shows it has not been successful unfortunatly, and in pro sports after 3 years that pretty much the most important thing you will be judged on, especially when you have had some very talented players come through your program, we were not void of talent and came last as a result.

Even if he is good at game prep, development, etc, the players love him and even if Dean and Daryl do rate him it would be a crazy business decision to not replace him.

If Marty were re-signed as head coach it could well kill the club as most fans would be very very annoyed, many may decide to boycott memberships, etc.

As an assistant to work with the players development, etc may be ok, but doubt that would happen at the 36ers, very few go from Head coach to assistant coach at the same club.

Marty should either try and get an assistant gig at a strong NBL club like Perth and then hope he gets another crack down the track, after he can make a few changes to his philosophy, head coach a SEABL team to some titles/very strong seasons or try and get back into a role where he can focus on developing talent like a AIS type gig which he came from and was very good at. To be honest wouldnt mind him being a 2nd or 3rd assistant at the boomers, can work with the guys many of whom he worked with at the AIS and seem to speak highly of him but have a very minor/if any role on game days.

At the end of the day its a case of Marty thank you for your efforts, unfortunatly it hasnt worked, so we have to make the change, we wish you all the best in your future career. I'd have this chat to him ASAP, before the end of the season so both sides can move on, no point pretending there is a chance of renewal when there isnt or atleast shouldnt be.

So please sixers make the change, be proactive, if you are not already starting working out guys who you would target for the role and start speaking informally to them/their agent to guage interest, there are many good candidates out there at the very least they should be having informal chats with Maher, Gleeson, Stacker and various other good candidates most listed by Boty in a blog a few weeks back.

Get the coach signed up ASAP, even conduct interviews over the next week or 2 as most of these guys are not currently NBL coaches, well before the free agent period starts so they can get straight on recruiting/retaining top free agents.

Reply #409383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack - those stats sum it up pretty well, don't they?

Jake - it's looking more and more likely that things might go that way. Bottom line is that Marty's reputation is tarnished and he would find it difficult to find another job right now.

Reply #409384 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Granted that Marty can't take ALL the blame... Players haven't turned up at times, etc etc, but he's had pretty much the strongest teams on paper, barely any injuries and he's managed to get the worst record in the league. Other coaches with less quality players and more player injuries have gotten significantly better results...

Based on that, he's had his chance and he should be out... Any players stupid enough to bag him out in the media should really go with him...

Reply #409385 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I don't think it's even a valid conversation at this point to be totally honest - he absolutely has to go. Anything less would be a shambles and hurt the Club hugely.

Reply #409387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Players shouldn't have a say as to who the coach is"

Neither should the fans or one particularly vocal, disgruntled journalist.

Reply #409391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MArty already has another job..

Reply #409394 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Heard a great line from Mick Malthouse the other day regarding power relations between players and coaches. "Please the fool, don't tease the fool".

It was part of his response to when asked what he thought of Mickey Arthur's penalties imposed on cricket players not undertaking tasks he has set for them.

I suspect You can apply the same mentality to public statements about your coach, boss, supervisor etc.

Reply #409395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clarke is supposed to be out of coract once the season is over so why hasn't the postion already been advertised?

Reply #409397 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, because the season isn't over?

It's quite possible that a number of players rate the coach and think the prep is good and the games can improve. It's also quite possible that they'd also enjoy working for a different coach.

Petrie spoke about his appreciation of his development this year under the current coaches. I think players have said the same about Lemanis, Bevo, Fearne, Woolpert, Stacker, Goorjian, Joyce, Gordie, etc.

Reply #409406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who cares if the season isnt over? They are out of contract. Advertsie now. Finals looming, F/A list not that far away. Most players around the NBL know exactly where they are going for next season already.
Take too long to sign a head coach and the boat will have already sailed.

Reply #409407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard on Tripple M a couple days ago that the 36ers had contacted Shaun Dennis (i think thats his name) perth assistant coach about the head coaching role next year!! Does anyone know any truth to that rumour???

Reply #409409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every chance Beveridge wont be in Perth next season. Dennis would be an ideal Perth Head Coach.
Adelaide or Perth. No brainer.

Reply #409417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MArty already has another job..

Adelaide Arena janitor?

Reply #409418 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not disagreeing with you that they shouldn't have feelers out as early as possible. They are under contract though and the season is still active.

I would be publicly inviting applications (including from Clarke) with a view to reviewing and interviewing once the season is done. That allows for post-season reviews with coach and players after the last game.

If I were the club, I'd also be making noise about the future viability of the club (Arena, ownership, etc) because as I've said before, players outside of Adelaide may get the impression that there won't be a club here next year.

Reply #409422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would think they would've already been looking into future coaching appointments for some time, you would hardly expect them to admit it publicly though.

Reply #409423 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

Yeah it is a bit weird that the dome has been sold but very little is know about it, you would think this would be something to boast out. I assume it might be a legal thing holding a more public acknowledgment from coming out.

Reply #409456 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I understand that the job is still active, but like an Anon mentioned above, it's not long until the free agent list needs to be consulted... The only saving grace however, is that the Sixers already have most of their team signed for next season...

Reply #409459 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, I don't quite understand your reasoning regarding timing of new applicants for the coaching role. The season is not completed, however at this late stage, Clarke would have a clear indication of whether he is staying or going. Looking for a new coach now should not affect the last 2 games of the season that Clarke coaches. Clarke himself would need to be making plans as soon as possible to relocate his family back to wherever they call home. Looking for another job etc. Even if the club don't make any early announcements about the new coaching staff,Clarke must aready know his fate by now. The current players who are out of contract this season need to know who the coaches are for next season to make up their minds if they want to stay or go. Season member renewals are going out in the next 1-2 weeks. Most current members want to know what they are committing to for next season before purchasing. Like most people, I do not go shopping with a blindfold on. I look before I buy.

Reply #409469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's out of contract. why should it matter that the season isn't over. I don't understand the logic either.

Reply #409470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only saving grace however, is that the Sixers already have most of their team signed for next season...

We do?

Johnson
Schenscher
Petrie
Cadee
Creek (although supposedly can opt out)

Reply #409476 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Based on the original question I will support the club if they support their fan base by removing Clark. I have sat through 3 years and slowly become less and less interested in the game only because of Clark. I have never lost faith in the team like this before, Ninnis I supported, Smyth I supported through the losing years because they showed they cared about the fans and players. Clark does not show or do this, his refusal to admit fault, adjust the coaching style and to consistently blame ever other person than himself has left me with absolutely no respect. If Clark and Radford are retained as coaches of the club then myself and my friends will no longer be attending games. I don't care if Clark is put in as an assistant coach but in no way should be ever be put into a head coach role again and Radford should not be allowed to step into Adelaide Arena after this season.

Reply #409478 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Clarke is probably contracted and will be paid till end of June, hence it's no mad rush on his behalf and he club
As stated above I'm sure that behind the scenes the club are making enquiries but in the public arena they are honouring the decision made earlier in the season to allow Clarke to complete the season

Reply #409484 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Unfortunately skud, I would say that whenever I bump into former members and we talk Sixers and why they are not going anymore, they never say "Oh, we just don't like basketball anymore" or "due to the GFC we can't even afford cigarettes anymore" or "my work means I am working whenever the Sixers are playing", the common theme time and time again, is "when they get a decent coach I'll start going again"

They players seem to love him because he seems to be a good skills coach, the spectators seem to hate him.

On the win %, it's worthy to note that the overall win % for the Sixers is 56%. With a current record of 30%, that's around half of what fans are used to. If you were to argue that Scotty was a poor performer with 44% win rate, then Marty is about a third worse again.

Reply #409487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack you know that's not true..
Come on! you people believe your own crap.

Reply #409490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Listen people to post #394.
They are very much correct.
Now....what do you think Marty would be great at???

Reply #409493 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

As a Hawk fan I would be happy is Marty is back, It would be one less team to worry about in the finals race.

Reply #409494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not exactly a race now is it Triton? all teams under 500 besides 2, lets be honest.

Reply #409497 | Report this post

hooked  
Years ago

you could make the comparison to Port Power, i know alot of fans who are going back to membership after letting their membership slide. The new energy around the club has created a good feel around the place, and an anticipation of success.

should the sixers do a 'restructure' i have no doubt the excitement could return to the dome.

Reply #409498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@493, I'll take a guess and say public relations hahaha

Reply #409500 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Does this mean anything ?

http://au.linkedin.com/pub/mark-radford/26/389/134

Reply #409501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@490, Jack is correct. I used to sponsor the Sixers, but have stopped as a result of Marty

Reply #409504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Neil result there #500 ;)

Reply #409505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack is incorrect im still a member, as a result of Marty.
Really people show some balls.

Reply #409507 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

You are a member because of Marty anonymous #409507...there is only one person who would do that and that's his wife!
Give me one reason why you would be a member because of Clarke????
What a joke!

Reply #409514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because he has done a great job of getting rid of the dead wood and developing young players for the future,Getting players here that would not have came to the 36ers or even give us a look in.
now we have a squad that could do some damage for a long period of time if we are smart and keep the core group for along period of time.

Reply #409516 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, do you fly in to SA for each game?

Reply #409528 | Report this post

Vespa  
Years ago

Are you thinking its Camby, Isaac?

Reply #409533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you reading email Addresses again Isacc??

Reply #409538 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, no, you haven't used an email address. But I know you're astroturfing because of your IP and the content.

Vespa, no, it's not Camby.

Reply #409540 | Report this post

blowbyblow  
Years ago

Hey Isaac don't you think the anon comments are actually fair.
Clarke does have a good history of bringing exciting young players to Adelaide.

Perhaps he should be offered a position at the club of recruiting manager & then bring in Maher as coach?

Afl clubs all have recruitment managers?

Reply #409541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Loving Marty's 'people' coming up with ideas to keep him on at the 36ers!

Reply #409544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So please explain how you Emailed me off forum then?

Reply #409548 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You posted with an email address last year. But currently, your IP address tells me you're not currently in SA. I'm assuming it's the same person now that you're talking about an email address.

Reply #409552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Come on Isacc you are not that smart, stop making stuff up. I know that most of the info on here is BS but lets be honest.

Reply #409557 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

That Anon filter has been several years in the making.

I've got a few Devs here that are short on work - I could finally make it happen.

Reply #409565 | Report this post

WA.anker.com  
Years ago

^Anon is one of those arses on the boards basketball forum, they turn people/members off that place so quickly its not funny. They are so stupid they don't even know why such a well run and known forum has so few active members? I wish they would just all go join in the WA Basketball orgy and leave these other forums alone.

Reply #409570 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

"my work means I am working whenever the Sixers are playing"

This is what's frustrated me so much about the clubs lack of commitment to its members, I work shift work so haven't been able to attend a lot of Sunday stupid timed games, I have accepted this in the past but this stink of Clarke has made me just not care if I don't go.
Effectively I pay for membership knowing I may miss 20-30% of the games but I still commit because I want to support the team. Its hard to do that when the Coach is so arrogant, uncaring about the fans and stubborn as he has been.

Reply #409589 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:11 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754