Thoughts on 'Hack-a-Howard/Hack-a-Shaq' tactics

Dwight Howard had 39 FT Attempts yesterday against the Orlando Magic.
The Magic resorted to fouling Dwight Howard MILES from the ball to put him at the FT Line. And to make the Magic pay, he hit (for him) an unusually high 25 FT's.

What are your thoughts on the 'Hack' tactics?

I believe the Refs are wrong for calling it. One example, the Lakers (Howard to be exact) were inbounding the ball, the ball goes in, Howard steps into court, Nash goes up the floor and Beno Udrih walks straight past Nash to foul Howard.
That is a clear Flagrant Foul surely. He is not playing the ball and is fouling a player away from the ball.
But if the Refs want to make the players look bad, just stop calling the foul, the Lakers were going to go 4-4 up the other end, and very likely to score, so it would be stupid for Udrih to foul Howard when the Lakers go 4on4 on Offense, thats IF the refs stop calling the fouls.

Its against the spirit of the game.

Topic #31131 | Report this topic

Ingles14  
Years ago

It's a joke, fair call if Dwight has the ball but when he is 90 feet from the basket without tge ball it should be called 2 shots and possession. It's a pathetic rule and I'm shocked the NBA lets it go.
What a boring display of basketball imagine watching a player attempt 39fts that game would've gone till midnight.

Reply #409410 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Against the spirit of the game but its taking advantage or an opponents biggest weakness

I'd feel bad for the Orlando fans who had to watch a free throw expedition for the majority of the night

Reply #409411 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

In sync posting, love it

Reply #409412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's an ugly stain on the NBA game. Could be easily taken away by awarding 2 free throws & possession back everytime this type of foul is committed. Which is how its adjudicated in the last 2 minutes of an NBA game.

Reply #409413 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Yeah, agree, easy fix if they call it a flagrant foul and give possession back.

For some reason they don't, well what ya' gonna do....

Rules ain't always rules I guess??

Reply #409415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I actually don't think it should be changed. Free throws are a basic skill of the game. If you're really, really bad at them the other team is going to take advantage of that. There's only a few guys in the league that it happens to. If you don't want it to happen as a player, improve your free throw shooting.

And yes, I'm aware it sucks to watch sometimes, but still, I don't like the idea of bailing out the guys who can't shoot free throws - especially Howard, who has never shown a real desire to be a truly great player.

Reply #409419 | Report this post

Ingles14  
Years ago

Crazy thing about that game Howard had 39 16 and 3 blocks.

Shaqs return to Orlando had stats of 39 16 and 3 blocks.

Does that mean the Lakers will 3peat in the next 5 years???

Reply #409439 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Players should learn how to shoot free throws. Howard hit his free throws, and played a significant contribution to a Lakers win as a result.

However, as amusing as it is to watch, this should not be a consistent thing. Fouling close to the basket? Fine, make them earn it from the free throw line. Well away from the basket even in the other half of the court? Intentional foul, freethrows+possession.

Reply #409480 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

Agree; Howard should learn how to hit free throws. Probably the easiest shot in basketball after layups. Any professional who cant hit at least 65-70% should be ashamed of themselves and should be calling Rick Barry in to learn how to do it underhand

Reply #409829 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:59 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754