Andrew
Years ago

How to not worry about stats?

I play in a league where all stats are recorded for each individual player each game.

Being a big NBA fan, I always look at the stats after watching a game to see how well a player actually went.

When it comes to my own stats I worry about them and want them to be perfect. I know when I'm shooting free throws that my percentage is being recorded and it sort of puts me off. Its mainly my free throw percentage I worry about because I'm very inconsistent at them.

I know that individual stats don't matter as long as your team wins, but I just can't help it! Any advice on how to just play ball and not worry about it?

Topic #31142 | Report this topic

Fulukovi  
Years ago

Just have fun and be a passer , set heaps of screens and play defence.

Reply #409511 | Report this post

Clapped Out Hack  
Years ago

Remember that Michael Jordan at the peak of his career shot field goals @ 50% that means one of the greatest ever players missed every second shot he took. So don't beat yourself up when you get a negative stat just start working on the next one.

Reply #409519 | Report this post

birdman  
Years ago

give yourself a goal of achieveing high stats in team orientated statistics rather than individual shooting statistics, eg: assists, screens, offensive rebounds,defensive stats etc.

This will mean that you are still having the fun of keeping your own stats and individual assessment but helping the team in important areas apart from just being too focused on scoring and shooting percentages.

Reply #409521 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

The most important stat to worry about is the W

Reply #409522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A 'stat' is an indicator, not a judgement.

Reply #409524 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

The W does't count for Marty and Rat Ingles!!!

Reply #409535 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Just have the mentality that the game doesn't stop.

Move onto the next play.

If you make a mistake like miss a shot or turn the ball over, just forget about it and play on.

Reply #409537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is soooooo much more than a box score mate - just play hard and make your team mates better! Ws and Ls are most important in a team sport.

Great quote from Stephen Curry "I don't know much about advanced stats but I do know if I keep putting the ball in the basket, my percentage will go up"

Reply #409549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If your stats worry you that much then your first step should be not looking at them. Players who focus on improving their stats rarely do as well as those who focus on improving their team.

Reply #409553 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

I've always loved this saying, "Don't let past misses, effect future swishes"

Don't know who said it but there ya go...

Reply #409554 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Play like Cam Tovey. He hasn't registered a stat all season.

Reply #409561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This isn't NBA 2k13 where your stats are an indicator as to your progression/regression in terms of overall rating year to year. Don't be afraid to make mistakes because you're not going to get better as a player otherwise. Like another poster said, even MJ at his peak missed as many shots as he made.

Reply #409580 | Report this post

Fulukovi  
Years ago

mj hit 83% of his free throws

Reply #409592 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

If you miss another free throw I'll be forced to go all Liam Neeson on your ass.

Reply #409594 | Report this post

Fulukovi  
Years ago

Rob Roy?

Reply #409597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which league is this? where it records all stats?

Reply #409616 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

When it comes to free throws mate, worry about them if you aren't getting to the charity strike as the more you get there the more comfortable you should feel!

Remember that great players (Maher and Gaze for example) got to the free throw line when they needed to get themselves some freebies so the more you get there the more beneficial it could be for your time and if your getting double teamed then find the open man... Assists are the stat you should want the most of every game and getting your team mates involved should help get the wins!

Good luck mate

Reply #409637 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:06 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754