What players around the NBL or overseas should they go for

Topic #31161 | Report this topic

mystro  
Years ago

Lebron James and Sonny Bill Williams

Reply #409692 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Diamon Simpson if we have different coaching staff.

Reply #409694 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

"Diamon Simpson if we have different coaching staff. "

Loved watching him play, the desperation and effort really made up for any lack of natural skill he had. He showed you don't have to be the best player, just the hardest working player to succeed, outscoring DJ several times really showed where DJ has to step up as well. I just don't think we have a place for him with DJ, Schenscher and Petrie.

Reply #409700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Funny thing about Simpson is Clarke and Radford were openly dogging his abilities after he left, then he was signed onto an NBA team. Small franchise called the Houston Rockets.

Reply #409709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think that last comment highlights exactly where our problem is

Reply #409714 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Is there a list of free agents?

Reply #409718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

gibbo out
ervin in
christopherson out
john williamson in

Reply #409719 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Not sure why people keep thinking former imports will return, rarely happens these days!

Reply #409721 | Report this post

Cats82  
Years ago

Not when a team has a record as they have goin now, would u wana play for a team fighting for a wooden spoon every yr? Just what marty 3yr plan was 3 spoons not 3 rings and he missed a back to back and a three peat

Reply #409723 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Reply #409727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Given Simpson made it onto an NBA roster at the end of last season and last I checked was dominating in Israel he'd be too pricey for an NBL team to afford now anyway.

Reply #409749 | Report this post

Quickie  
Years ago

In my theory ,if Gibson leaves and Crosswell retires then we should recruit Ervin ,one point guard we lacked this season.if Petrie doesnt return then get Simpson .If Petrie stays get a Small Forward of Edwards or Dorsey(cheap)

Reply #409763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The guys on the free agent list id have some interest in are A.Bruce, Hill, C.Jackson, Webster, Lazare, Rychart, Ervin, Lisch, Hurdle, L.Davidson, R.Carter, Edwards, S.Bruce, Hudson.

Many of them only at the right price and some off the bench, and you would be crazy to not atleast ask the question of Jackson, Lisch, Ervin imo, even if its unlikely they will come, make them the best offer you can, nothing to lose.

Id also look at few former NBL imports such as Dorsey, Ubaka, A.Warren, C.Warren, Simpson, DeVries, Gilchrist if they fitted the role we need and at the right price, you wouldnt in most cases pay top dollar for them, but in the right role for say 50-100k any of these guys could be useful.

Obviously if any of our top players in Europe want to come home you would snap them up, but not expecting that to happen.

One fresh face import id like to see play NBL (have no idea if he would be interested in NBL) is DJ Kennedy, playing in the D-League, would be a great 'do-it all import' could end up a Rob Rose type and of that level to imo. As i said no idea if he would be interested still reasonably young so may want to stick it out in the D-league for the NBA call up, but id offer him around 150k see if we can get him, given D-League salaries are a lot less he may be interested. May not come off, but i say give it a crack. Imo opinion we need a star import combo guard who can help our young pgs.

Id love our team to end up with

C Johnson/Schenscher

PF Petrie/ Weigh or Rychart

SF Creek/ Dorsey or Edwards (NBL proven Import, only if cheapish and depends on if you want a sf/sf or sf/pf as to which one you would chose)

SG DJ Kennedy or Ervin (Stud import, go to guy, can help out our young pgs, at times will play PG with a Creek/Dorsey type at SG)/Hill or Bruce (depends on if you want a sg/pg or a sg/sf)

PG Cadee/Daly (if you can fit him in as 11th man and get him to come grab S.Bruce aswell, another good young pg, let the young pgs compete with each other for minutes and they will be supported by import combo guard)

To me that would be a good, versatile line up.

Say we make the choice of grabbing Dorsey, Bruce (could grab him as the starting pg) in the back up sg/sf, and get Kennedy or Ervin,

Could easily start with an athletic line up of Bruce, Kennedy, Creek, Dorsey, Johnson.

Could also go a bit bigger with a line up of Kennedy, Dorsey, Creek, Petrie, Johnson.

So not as realiant on Cadee or Daly stepping up, but there is minutes for them if they do, as Bruce and Kennedy can slide up a spot, if say Cadee has a break out season it goes to a Cadee, Bruce, Kennedy, Creek, Johnson. Some may not want Creek at PF at all, but in the NBL he is similar in size to guys like Vukona, Holmes and very athletic so could spend some time there in NBL imo, a bit like MacKinnon used to aswell he would play anything from sg-pf depending on matchups, team mates, etc. This would also help Creek imo, he played PF for the Aus jnr team didnt he and excelled and also means he doesnt have to worry as much about his jump shot and ball handling which he is still developing, he could model his game on a Vukona/Mackinnon type playing PF.

Anyway point being it would give us a very versatile, athletic line up with many players being able to play 2 or 3 positions and would be fun to watch aslong as the coaches use the players properly, this would also lead us to being a playoff contender imo aswell.

Reply #409789 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Does anyone know when Creek is expected to be fit enough to play NBL?

Isn't an achilles injury usually at least a full year of recovery?

Reply #409853 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't see why Petrie wouldn't stay. He has a contract and whatever might happen with coaching, the club would make it clear they want him around.

I assume Crosswell may retire and Daly get elevated. Then, assuming Gibson goes, I think the decisions on retention are Weigh and Vasiljevic and what alternatives are out there. Pero does well and apparently the team really like him, but I thought Dowdell was perfectly serviceable as a back-up in his time in Adelaide. I've seen him at NBL games in both Adelaide and Wollongong this season, and he seems interested in playing again. Pero often looks a bit rattled out there though he has his moments.

Weigh is the tough one. Unless Redhage is going to move, the free agent list is a bit short on SF/PFs.

Reply #409861 | Report this post

JimmyBuckets  
Years ago

Very true Isaac,

At worst we should be able to replace Gibson and Weigh with decent imports,if we cant keep them, Id target 2 of the guys i mentioned earlier in DJ Kennedy (not sure if he would be interested in NBL), Dorsey, Ervin. Dorsey should be affordable for Weighs wage, possibly less, then offer Gibsons and what was left of Weighs at Ervin or Kennedy. Would prefer to keep Weigh, play him a little less, and off the bench once Creek is back in full fitness/form, but am working on the assumption Gibson wont be back.

Upgrade Daly for Crosswell,

bring in the best back up sg we can fit in to replace SC, id look at 2 ex 36ers in Bruce and Carter if we can fit them under the caps, both are combo guards which is good to have imo, especially with 2 young pgs. Bartlett, Dillon, or even Brad Hill if looking at a sg/sf being another couple of guys to look at, it will obviously depend on how much $$ and points we have available. I dont see us down grading SC, Erik Burdon would be an upgrade imo, so confident we will have no worries filling this spot with a better player regardless of $$ available. If we can keep Weigh, could offer the $$ available in this spot to a Dorsey type, or another cheap import, even CJ would be good to give another crack under a better coach.

and have either Pero, Dowdell or Warbout fill the 4th big spot, any are ok for me

If we get that team coached well, should be ok imo, could be some exciting times ahead if we get the coach right!

Reply #409866 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How do you fit in Carter with Cadee and Daly already as guards or Hill when there's already a "starter or not?" GF in Creek?

If you get Carter, then you have a definite back-up in Daly and two semi-starters in Carter and Cadee. I think you can get away with one but not two unless they're on a real budget. Creek's already going to need some SG minutes.

I like Ervin - definitely go for him.

Reply #409882 | Report this post

JimmyBuckets  
Years ago

I mostly would run 3 guards the bulk of the minutes, in general around 25 each depending on form, foul trouble, injury, match ups, with Daly as the 4th guard getting around 5 mins per game, if he out plays say Cadee at training then they both would get 15 mins each and all 4 would get atleast 15.

So room for another guard eg Carter or a cheapish import if Weigh stays to play around 20 mins, possibly start if he outplays cadee.

Import ie Ervin just takes Gibsons minutes.

Guard rotation could be

SG Ervin (25)/Carter (15)
PG Carter (10)/Cadee (15)/Daly (15)

or

SG Ervin (25)/Carter (15)
PG Carter (10)/Cadee (25)/Daly (5)

Depending mostly on form id start off playing Cadee and Daly 15 mins each, and then weight it across the season game to game based on form.

I personally dont think a guard rotation of say Cadee, Daly, Ervin and a 4th guard not really playing is strong enough, so would call Daly the 4th guard and try and bring another decent guard in if possible, Carter would be a good fit imo, can play both guard spots, an ok shooter and good defender.

SF rotation,

I wouldnt use Creek too much at SG, i think he could give us more value playing some minutes as an undersized PF given he doesnt really have great ball handling or perimiter shooting skills as yet. But id basically play Creek as a SF for all of his mintues.

Id then have Weigh or Hill, (Hill only comes in if Weigh leaves and we dont use the import spot for a sf) or Import compete with him for minutes and play some minutes at PF if need be. NBL is a small league, i think quicker undersized teams do well, Brooks and Cat were both really SF's and shared the starting forward spots in the past.

So to start the season, assuming no injury trouble id start the forward rotation as:

SF Creek (25)/Weigh or import(15)
PF Petrie (25)/Weigh or import (10)/Johnson (5)

(Could start Weigh, not really fussed but thats how id split the minutes)

Dorsey or Edward would be 2 guys id look at as imports, Dorsey isnt really a PF probably more of a sg/sf, but could play a little there imo, similar size to many PFs in the NBL and KB was also similar size and played some PF, im sure Dorsey and Creek could play 5 mins per game each at pf if need be and gives us a quick athletic, versatile line up.

Centre I would start Johnson give him and Schensch around 20 mins each, Johnson also playing 5 mins at PF so brings his total to 25, if he is on fire and needs more minutes than Schenscher sits more or someone in the PF rotation loses a few minutes from time to time.

To me thats a good, well balanced line up, and quite versatile, could go small or big depending on the situation.

Reply #409898 | Report this post

JimmyBuckets  
Years ago

Isaac, was your concern bringing Carter a lack or money or minutes? or do you think we need someone better than him with Ervin? I assume you mean there isnt enough minutes/money to fit him in.

My basic, possibly too simplistic calculation was

you keep Cadee
You get Ervin with Gibson's money
You get Daly for SCs money (i assume minimum salary or close to)
You get Carter or Bruce or Dillon with Crosswells money (my guess somewhere between 60-100k, say 70k)

Can see your point if you dont think you could get a Carter type for 70kish, he could be on more in Perth or it may not be enough to entice him away, but id definatly make him the best offer i could, and dont see how Perth would be paying him much more if they are under the cap given they have Lisch and Martin in there guard rotation. Kings the same with Bruce given they have Madgen, Henry or other import in there back courts.

Could be wrong, have no idea on what players get, just making guestimates based on salary cap of 1 mil, max salary around 150k, min salary around 40k and how the money would need to be spread across the team.

Imo all of those changes are upgrades.

Would they be fair enough guestimates?

Reply #409902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee/daly
Ervin/hill
Creek/hill
Williamson/Petrie
Dj/Luke
And a decent coach

Reply #409911 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm saying I think they need better than Carter if the other guards are Cadee and Daly. It could work, but the club seriously needs to have a successful year. Go for Ervin and another import. In terms of rough spend rather than playing position:

Ervin in for Gibson (I think Gary would cost more though.)
SG/SF import in for Crosswell
Daly in for Christopherson

This discounts any increases in existing player contracts that lock up more many.

If it had to be done and every other contract was locked in, the opportunity for money could come from replacing Weigh or offering him less. Creek, import and possibly Petrie can cover his role. But I don't know who's out there that'd give similar output for cheaper money though with Blanchfield being signed. Rush averaged 5 PPG this year. Slim pickings elsewhere. Could give all his minutes to Creek and Petrie and spend more on the imports.

Reply #409917 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'911, I think Petrie plus Luke is overloading the bench. Petrie's been good for us this year. Need scoring threats out there who can hit from the perimeter. With Weigh, I was thinking:

Ervin/Cadee
Import/Daly
Weigh/Creek
Petrie/Vasiljevic
Johnson/Schenscher

Second import would not be an expensive one. Ervin could take on a bit of the scoring load and mean that an 8-12 PPG import would be an upgrade on now.

Reply #409920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like Ervin - definitely go for him.

Me too and not only is he an MVP contender but he has a huge pair on him as he showed with the game winner yesterday against the Tigers.

Reply #409925 | Report this post

JimmyBuckets  
Years ago

Fair point Isaac, re import sg/sf instead of Carter, I like the look of your proposed team. Looks very acheivable and if coached well could be very good, and exciting/fun to watch!

Keeping the rest of the team the same also sounds good, good to have a core group together for more than 1 season, should help have a strong start to the season.

On the money as usual Isaac, thanks for the clarification and insight/logic.

Reply #409929 | Report this post

JimmyBuckets  
Years ago

Whats everyones first move for the 36ers to make in the offseason?

Mine is operation get Gary Ervin (id also atleast sound out Cedric Jackson, but consider him more unlikely and probably closer to impossible, but would jump at it if there was even a sniff)

We need a star like him who can win games and put bums on seats!

Reply #409932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about select a coach first.

Reply #409936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac that was my only worry re top heavy but I've heard to many good things about Williamson and I want to see him play. I love Petrie and think Luke is the one to sit more

Reply #409940 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

screw the states, if we are looking at imports then go for a defender like Dimitris Diamantidis.
this man has incredible talent. and Marcelinho Huertas from spain. when you're hitting 50% on 3's, hell!

australian players wise, id keep the same however maybe allow gibbo to go, and maybe DJ. Pero deserves more game time despite his age.

Reply #409971 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

"Ervin/Cadee
Import/Daly
Weigh/Creek
Petrie/Vasiljevic
Johnson/Schenscher"

That looks decent Isaac. I wouldn't make many changes personnel wise either, although I would prefer it if we could keep Gibson and spend more on an import SG.

I'd like to keep Weigh, but not at any cost. I see him as a good role player, but not the star player he was originally recruited as. If he wants star money and that is going to prevent us from putting together a high quality backcourt, I'd let him go and let Creek grow into the starter's role.

Outside the obvious guns (C-Jax, Lisch, Ervin, M. Knight) I don't see a lot on the FA list to get excited about. Corey Webster could turn into a nice player down the road, but the last thing the Sixers need next season is another inexperienced guard. Probably only worth chasing him if you could get him cheap and gave him Daly's spot.

Reply #409972 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

"Ervin/Cadee
Import/Daly
Weigh/Creek
Petrie/Vasiljevic
Johnson/Schenscher"

Seems pretty decent but take out Pero and sign a PF coming back from college.
Pero hasn't really show much this season, unless it has been another case of the coaches under using a player.
Grab a young player for his spot, since Petrie, Johnson and Weigh can all play PF.

The main priority is to get some great shooting in to the team.

Reply #410029 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Aussieballer, I suggested something similar to a player in the current team and they favoured Pero. I think he's a popular part of the team. He's done pretty well hustling - maybe he can show more under a different coach. Unless we could get a solid rookie maybe.

Reply #410051 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Fair enough.
Hard to evaluate him considering the amount of game time he has been given.

But he seems redundant if they are keeping Petrie, Johnson and Luke.

Maybe sign him as an assistant coach/Team Manager.

Reply #410059 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The current team manager is probably even more popular. ;)

Maybe you're right - if Weigh is there, we have the bigs well and truly covered. Get the best available kid out of college.

Reply #410061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

new coach will be phil smyth, breheny and maher as assistants!!

Reply #410063 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:15 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754