Anonymous
Years ago

How do you actually get into the NBL?

Comparing to AFL with the extensive rookie program and draft... How do people get into the NBL?

Do you have to be in the training program and go there for peanuts for a few years as a development player then (hopefully) step up when it is your time?

Do you play bigv/seabl while working to again, hopefully step up when it is your time?

Are there actually scouts at State champ and SEABL level that look for people who they think could be ready for NBL?

It seems there are a lot of people that should get a chance that don't... And others that do that shouldn't.

I'm 23 now and starting to lose hope!

Topic #31180 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should I try to make contact with coaches?

Reply #409979 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

At 23 if you were good enough you would have already been at least a development player.

Reply #409985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've trained with a team, 12 months ago, but since they changed coach my contact with them diminished.

I feel as though my development has come a lot later than others.. It's my dream to play NBL, I just don't know what avenue to go down without sounding like a pushy bastard.

Reply #409988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What competion are you currently playing in?

Reply #409990 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Length & talent!

Reply #409992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah i am in the same boat and age as you poster, I developed really late and am playing ABL reserves. I am going to go 100% and see how far I can go.

I didnt pick up a basketball until I was 13 but hey, look at guys like CJ massingale who was 30 when he had his first NBL stint. Pablo Preigiano was 35 when he got drafted to the NBA.

The advantages of us late bloomers is that we are usually injury free and our bodies still feel really young. I feel like I am 17 and I know I can improve a lot.

Reply #409993 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

This is one of the things I'm going to cover in a podcast during the off season.

Reply #409995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you have the dream of making it never give up just keep going and believe you can make it keep going to their training which ever club you are trying to break into it is the only way you must be seen

Reply #410009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go down to your local NBL team and ask if you can be in their training/development squad.

Show up 2 hours before EVERY training session and work on your game, stay late after every training session and work on your game.

Come back at night and repeat.

Ask if there is extra you can do.

There is no such thing as a lucky break, hard work is not a secret and it does pay off. Be patient.

Good luck.

Reply #410011 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Also get yourself to one of the better ABA comps SEABL/QBL so you continue to imrpove your game against best quality competition outside of the NBL.

If you play against qualitya nd can train with an NBL team your game will improve.

Reply #410016 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Stand out in any ABL comp and you'd surely attract some attention at least. Have an agent help you maybe. Paul Bell might be able to give you advice.

If you're in SA, guys like Gower, Hambour, Warbout, etc have had opportunities just by having reasonable size, ability, following instructions, being available to train, etc. I think Hambour even started playing the sport very late? None of those guys have been prodigies, so they're probably good examples of persisting to get a chance.

Reply #410026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most of the better players get into the NBL after college with only a small number making it from the minor regional leagues. Unfortunately it's a bit hard to wind back the clock & get into a good college program when you're 23 so you have to do it the hard way.

Most NBL teams have a group of young players who train with the team on a semi-regular basis so as others have said, if you are keen then try to get a run with a team as a training player. Most senior coaches at local associations have contacts with NBL coaching staff so can put you in touch with the right people if you ask nicely. Then it's up to you.

Reply #410031 | Report this post

meo  
Years ago

Nick Hambour played church basketball for years, Spicer I think it was as a junior. His team was pretty good back at Mars when I was umpiring. He would play district in the mornings and then go and play church in the afternoon

Reply #410054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poster, Hambour is one of my good mates, I can ask him for advice if you want?

Reply #410098 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

"I didnt pick up a basketball until I was 13 but hey, look at guys like CJ massingale who was 30 when he had his first NBL stint. Pablo Preigiano was 35 when he got drafted to the NBA"

Hate to be a stickler, but neither of these players have anything to do with 'late bloomers'.

Prigioni started playing Euro ball in 1995. Signed on with the Knicks cheaply as a free agent to experience the show before he retired.

CJ has been playing as a SEABL import since 2005 after graduating college.

Not as though either of those two are greenhorns to the sport by any stretch of the imagination.

Reply #410152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep trying. Hard work beats talent when talent fails to works hard.

Reply #424801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am a player in the National Basketball League

Reply #563237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

zz

Reply #563247 | Report this post

Agoi  
Years ago

I need to start playing for a club but I just don't know were to start it. I already worked on my dribbling, shooting and passing but I don't know who to show my talent. I am 14 years old and go to Staughton college as a years seven leader.Can you guys help me.

Reply #652162 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Staughton College in Melton? Hmm Melbourne Tigers had their boys tryout last week in Oakleigh and should have another one today and also next Sunday.

Give Dave Watson a call on (03)9380 4474 or Nick Abdicevic 0414 521 912.

Reply #652197 | Report this post

TOM  
Years ago

Hi, I'm wondering where do you go to try out for the Sydney kings and when will they be on ?

Reply #662348 | Report this post

Shane Morgan  
Years ago

I've always had a dream to play in the NBA like most people when they are young but professional basketball is my dream and I want to know what it takes to get there. I’m not in anyway ready to play but I’m only 18 soon to be 19 and would love an opertunity to play professional one day. With help from coaches and staff to better me like diets I should do and workouts and just drills I’m open for help from anyone. I live in California in the USA and I’ll be checking my email everyday. [email protected]

Reply #665370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ask Jason Cadee. I'm pretty sure he is one of the kids who got in by asking on here.

Reply #665420 | Report this post

Rajeev  
Years ago

Hey I'm also wondering I'm keen to working towards the nbl status I've been playing with nsw in sydney club called the Liverpool spartans for about 1 yr I currently day and night hoping my dream gets fulfilled training in every sweat and blood now I'm only 15 yrs of age I'm taking every time out to train eg: pushups squats shooting defence a healthy diet and more things that will help me I get bullied at school currently no one sees it I hide in myself my teamates don't really ball for future they ball for the fun of it while I stay here and comment if there is anyway I can please let me know ASAP now I also have a scholarship to train for free at the Dallas mavericks camp but I wanted. To stay in Australia where I can represent my nationality is Fiji and indian and I was wondering if I could get pushed my boundaries where I can push so hard into training and hoping to get in nbl

Reply #665685 | Report this post

adrian dayes  
Years ago

how would I be able to get in to NBL

Reply #758630 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Get a good agent...perhaps ask the QBL MVP for a referral

Reply #758633 | Report this post

Mohamed  
Years ago

Hi, I am currently in high school studying by the age of 17. I was wondering if I have a chance of joining a college basketball to become noticed due to my talents. I am always having negative thoughts about being short, I am 5,10" and skinny not too skinny but athletic skinny. I wanted to know what the process looks like in trying to get my self in to college and if it would be worth it?, but never looked it up, so I'm finally here hoping to get some info of how it work and feedback on how to handle it to archive where I want to be.

Reply #770696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Standard parth - CoE / College, come back to NBL at 21/22.

Many other ways in, although with 3 imports and experienced players not readily giving up their spots there is not a big influx of new players every year.

I think as Grida and others have shown if you're good enough at NBL1 or other leagues you'll find a way to nbl contract/minutes although it isn't easy.

Reply #770698 | Report this post

Vincent Brendan  
Years ago

My name is Vincent Brendan am 17 years old I did my birthday this month December 6,Am 6.2.7 feet tall and growing and I have a vertical of 38 inches I have a max touch of 11.5 Am made of basketball I don't think of anything else am from Nigeria where am disappointed and do ask God why he brought me to this country where basketball sims useless no academy no sponsorship am really tired and heartbroken I don't know if your an agent or coach I need your help it may sound funny to you from that side but if you know what I have gone through I do play basketball in my tree I built a rim there with Tyre and ropes I go online to master everything I can am good shooter,I know how to read the pick and role know how to see windows to lay my passes and with my leaping ability I do cause terror on my jump shot I have over 5000 NBA videos breakdown and tutorials in which I learn from like shot mechanics,I love basketball,even by coach Jesse muench like James harden step back breakdown I love the euro step I have many variations I always dream of me in the NBA and that means starting from somewhere please you may be my lifetime opportunity to display my Talents backup with hard work I started with a 24 inches vertical till I started working out morning and evening I did squats lunges planks different core work, deadlift because I built a weight for my self with cements,I did Tyre jumps I built my upper body with plyometrics and different things till my mom now gatthered money and build a rim for me in which I practice #infact I have a lot to say maybe we could talk any one please anyone that could try me out. am someone trying to find my way in life with my GoD given Talents my family hope in me at this my young age so fo I look like someone that doesn't have everything to lose please try me out please may God bless you .Sorry I forgot I checked my growth potential on the way I was project to reach 6.6 feet or 6.7 feet by the age of 21 and now at 6.2 I have a 6.7 wingspan and 8.5 inches hands length with 8.3 feet standing reach.this my phone number 08105830479 or 07034967270 and my emials is [email protected]

Reply #784662 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Are you a Nigerian prince that needs my bank account to show me how to make the NBL?

Reply #784670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have you got a game Perth Wilburs? Guess not. If genuine good luck to the kid. Why bag him?

Reply #784680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone who is anyone has already been contacted by Joey. Just ask the Sixer fans on here.

Reply #784681 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Vincent Brendan stay in school. Your education is far more important and should be your number one priority.

Reply #784719 | Report this post

Stay in school Vincent Brendan.

Reply #784720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #789262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love try try out for a team in ohio

Reply #790456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #797830 | Report this post

Derome White  
Years ago

Reply #802707 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

i'm 17, 6’7 with a 6’11 wingspan, and a bit of talent in the game, i only started playing last year, what would be my best bet for trying to make the league?

Reply #803117 | Report this post

Hey, I'm 23 and in Zimbabwe, I really want to understand how foreigners can get into the NBL Australia thanks

Reply #803673 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The borders are currently closed though.

Reply #803674 | Report this post

riane  
Years ago

I am only 12 and my dream is becoming a basketball player but I don't what do I play for a basketball team but please help me out on what to do

Reply #807166 | Report this post

Lord F Manu  
Years ago

Vincent Brendan I feel yo pain
I have the exact same situation as you. Turned 17 in February. Picked up a basketball at age 15.
I have been always underrated. Never taking serious, been told to stop playing but I believe hardwork pays of. It's my dream to play in the NBA. I train so hard, every single day I'm always doing something that will improve my game. All I always pray for is an opportunity. Sometimes I wish I wasn't even here in Ghana. There's nothing here when it comes to basketball. So Many talents yet we not having the chances. I continue to pray and plead that a chance should be taken in us. Like my brother Victor Brendan. All I want to do is just make it there. To inspire all the kids with dreams that it's possible. I continue to work hard and do whatever it takes or as I like to say WIT. Victor as much as we continue to chase this dream which I believe will come true we have to take school to seriously. It's frustrating yeah but one thing I know fasho is that hard work with self discipline always pays off. Please and please africa too has talent.
My email is [email protected]

Reply #813801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am 16 and live in Ottawa Canada, I want to play in the NBL but I don't really know how to go about it, would anyone have tips, advice or suggestions?

Reply #822947 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:05 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754