Bg04
Years ago

Joey Wright

Does anyone know what the realistic chances are of Joey Wright coaching the sixers next year and is he interested?

To me this seems like a perfect fit with the talent we could keep with Joey on board in his ex Gold Coast running partners and his hard nosed style which has proven results is just what we need to bring some personality back to our team.

Also is Deleon a free agent next year?

Cheers.

Topic #31228 | Report this topic

BigAds  
Years ago

He's still walking, talking and breathing so I'd suggest there's a chance. Realistic? can't answer that one.

If he were interested in the opportunity I suspect he would talk with the Owners or the Management group. Do you know if he has done this?

Adris DeLeon is a free agent at the end of the season. Would be cheaper than other imports who play the same spot but is he the type of player that would make the Sixers significantly better? Happy to turn that question over to the court of public opinion.

Reply #410603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wright end of Sixers.

Reply #410622 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Apart from a title with a loaded Bullets roster can the OP enlighten us on when these so called "proven results" have occurred. Joey has pretty much under performed with the quality of his rosters every season in my opinion. I don't get the big wraps he has on him from many.
Also don't agree on the hard nosed crap. You can yell as much as you want in a time out but a hard nosed coach wouldn't have half his team nightclubbing regularly or showing the ill discipline that a number of the Blaze players showed.

Reply #410624 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Fstos, say what you want, but he would have at least got that Sixers team to within a sniff of the playoffs. He regularly gets teams to the postseason.

As for hard-nosed, this Sixers team only has one or two guys with anything resembling heart so it's a fundamental problem with the roster rather than anything the coach can impart on them. Gibson is pretty much the only guy that cares about losing.

Reply #410640 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mick, that's not true at all. Petrie, Creek, Daly - all come across as guys who care and play hard every time. Gibson didn't look like he cared last night!

Reply #410644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wright gets teams that are stacked and cheating the cap to the finals.

Reply #410649 | Report this post

Bg04  
Years ago

@ fstos here's your "proven results"

During his time Wright has led his teams to great heights including a 16-win improvement in the 2003/2004 season, successive finals appearances and a stellar 2006/2007 season featuring a minor premiership, a 21 NBL game winning streak and a championship. He is a two time NBL Coach of the Year, and was inducted into the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame in 2011.

I'd say that's not a bad resume. (Compare that to our coachs stats. Ouch!!)

Also having a heard nosed attitude doesn't necessarily mean just yelling at players although it would have been nice to see even a little sweat on our coaches brow when we give up double digit leads week in and week out. It's about making players accountable and motivating them. On many occasions this year we had the motivation of a sloth after coming out from the main break to produce single digit scoring qtrs.

If you have any better ideas I'd love to hear them. Just trying to get some insight into what we can expect next year.

Reply #410652 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

I am not discussing whether Wright is better than Marty. That list would include pretty much all of the previous NBL coaches and many who have never coached at that level.
I am asking APART FROM THE SEASONS where he had a now acknowledged cap rorting stacked roster where he has a proven record. His Blaze teams underachieved and were well know for their lack of discipline and party lifestyle. How about you argue against my point.

Reply #410668 | Report this post

Bg04  
Years ago

I wouldn't say his Blaze team under achieved. They finished 3rd last year behind the two powerhouses that are dominating this league at the moment.

Also name a team on the Gold Coast that hasnt had a problem with their players going out and partying.

I wasn't arguing I genuinely would like to know who you think should or will coach us next year because if it's Marty and Rad I may join the taliban for something to do.

Reply #410674 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

No problems. I just don't see how Joey gets the wraps or salary that he does.

That Blaze team had Boomers Wortho & Gibson imports Deleon Hudson both having solid roles with play off bound teams, Petrie who has been a solid player this year and young up and comers Cadee & Goulding. As I say 3rd and an easy playoff exit is a slight under achievement or at best a par only performance.
Not saying Joey is a bad coach but I don't think he is a standout either.

The real issue is that apart from the top 3 coaches who look to be head and shoulders above the competition but are also unvailable there are not many solid options out there.

Reply #410678 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

There are tonnes, fstos.

Just take your pick and you will be in playoff contention with this roster. Anyone is an upgrade. Throw money at Red Auerbach's grave and have him coach via Ouija board if you have to. Random coaching decisions based on a superstition will produce better results than Clarke.

Gleeson, Wright, Joyce are three recently ousted from the league who are proven winners in this comp, and then if you want take a risk bring over one of a thousand coaches from the States like the Crocs did with Woolpert (probably not the best idea given the risk of an unproven Clarke that blew up in their face).

Then you have the Maher/Smythe route or the "poach assistant from NZ or Perth" which I view as equally risky but probably with the highest potential reward.

The biggest thing they have to worry about, no matter who it is but especially if they are unproven, is securing a one year guaranteed contract with a TEAM option to extend.

Reply #410794 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure you necessarily get the best candidate if you offer a single year. That coach is also straddled for their one chance with existing contracts which they may not want. I think one and then KPI-based for a second might be better.

Of course, the contract and money on offer would depend on the candidate.

Reply #410809 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

If or when in my opinion Andre gets the Boomers appointment, Dean Vickermann will be the next Breakers coach for sure. Well regarded in NZ and the current NZ World Uni games HC.

Reply #410814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey Wright would get them to the play offs but not sure there will be enough money for a top line coach

Reply #410926 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

Gee Joey is about Joey $$$$$, thats why the clubs he coached are no longer with us.RIP!

Reply #410927 | Report this post

SoothSayer  
Years ago

Well that means 36ers will be going bust cause I saw Joey at Adelaide airport yesterday morning and he was looking pretty happy. Remember you heard it here first.

Reply #410994 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

Careful what you wish for Soothsayer.

Reply #410998 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:01 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754