Isaac
Years ago

Tovey to retire after play-offs

Perth Wildcats swingman Cam Tovey will retire at the end of the NBL playoffs.

The 27-year-old made the announcement in front of teammates, coaching staff and a packed press gallery at Perth Arena this morning ahead of the Cats' playoff opener against Wollongong tonight.

Tovey said he no longer had the drive to continue at the highest level as he worked to return to full fitness following a hip injury that has affected him this season.
Full story

No longer had the drive. Robbins ended up (from what I heard) "hating the game." I assume just coincidental/personal situations and not Bevo pushing them too hard.

Hope he enjoys the desk job. Would be a real change of pace.

Topic #31275 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

He retired when he left Townsville

He has a pretty good job already

Reply #411315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again?

Reply #411316 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Wow, is he only 27? Thought he was older for some reason, maybe because this is his second retirement?

Sounds like he's ready for his post-hoops life to begin, it's good to see he's got a plan and a job and will be able to make a nice clean break from the sport.

Reply #411323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Allegedly was on 6 pts? Can't say for sure as the new NBL website isn't bringing up the points page for me...

Handy way to free up a surprisingly high amount of points for next year.

Reply #411324 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Has a good corporate gig, doesnt need to play.

Reply #411327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good on him he improved throughout his career and became better than what anyone thought he would be imo.

he has always had a good post basketball plan in place and leaves the game allowing for someone else to take up u spot with Perth and in the nbl who is more driven to play basketball full time in what are limited positions within aus

Reply #411330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

great bloke - very smart - never really had a burning desire to play bball

Reply #411331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

7 points.

Reply #411333 | Report this post

catsfan  
Years ago

of course he had a burning desire to play ball, otherwise he would have stopped playing ages ago because he wouldn't bother trying to juggle an accounting job with travel and training etc..

great team player, unfortunate that his injuries just took too much of a toll on his body.

Reply #411338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought he was on 8 points which is way too high IMO. Does anyone know exactly?

Reply #411357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dunno but he had some kind of game tonight!

Reply #411365 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Useful time for him to have his best game of the season.

Reply #411366 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Will this retirement help the wildcats bring in Dunigan for next year?

Dunigan and Trueman
Knight and Redhage
Hire and Wagstaff
Lisch and Bartlett or other shooting guard
Martin and Carter

That would be a hell of a lineup!

Wagstaff has been told to play small forward if he wants to become a Boomer and Knight would be just as damaging as he outmuscles Power Forwards. Redhage coming off the bench will irk him and he will be quality as an impact player off the bench.

I hope that is our team next year!

Reply #411378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder how much extra facilities and fan support count in player's calculations when it comes to deciding where to go? Wildcats have some of the best facilities in the league, part of Jack Bendat's largesse, and ... well, does anyone want to argue Perth Arena is not now the jewel in Basketball Australia's crown?

Does it mean that Perth and New Zealand are effectively working with a larger cap? Kind of like an exchange rate, does Perth$1,000 stretch further than Cairns$1,000?

Reply #411400 | Report this post

rhea79  
Years ago

If it's a Perth contract, the extras are HUGE.
Would be dumb dumb not to consider them.

Reply #411405 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Proud, I don't think that team will fit under the points cap. If Knight and Hire re-sign, you'd assume their points will go up.

Reply #411408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tovey was a 7.

Reply #411411 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:15 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754