Wondering Coach
Years ago

Mildura Carnival

In June I'll be taking my team over to Mildura, for my first time, could someone with prior experience at that carnival fill me in with some details of the carnival, and what I can expect from it?

Cheers

Topic #31294 | Report this topic

Years ago

div 3-4 tourney.

cold at night

playing in mildura's back yard with their rules

expect 4-5 games - usually 2-3 v mildura teams and 2 v adelaide teams.

personally i prefer melbourne (nunawading will have grades suitable for D 3-4-5 teams - depends what you want - quicker / cheaper trip than melbourne

Reply #411675 | Report this post

Compared to Nunawading:
More suited to lower Div 2, Div 3 / 4
Much cheaper and shorter trip time
Usually about 5 minutes to the stadium.
Less stress and intensity
Great opportunity for kids to bond better and their families to get to know each other away from the grandstands.

Numuawading offers a much higher level of competition but that comes at a cost in both dollars and time.

Both tournaments use Victorian rules ie. no shot clock, zones allowed for all age groups

Reply #411686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there u20?

Reply #411687 | Report this post

Lioness  
Years ago

Good fun carnival the people are great and you will play a couple of Mildura teams who are some of the best in Vic country, so saying its a Div 3 comp is fine as long as you want to get spanked by the local teams.
Easy to get anywhere around Mildura, we have been twice and the kids loved it as we did.

Reply #411800 | Report this post

Years ago

dont think there is u20.

usually the mildura teams are watered down rep teams.

seem to recall -

one was mildura, other workers club or similar and occasionally a redcliffs team ?

all rep style teams

Reply #411803 | Report this post

asb  
Years ago

I highly recommend this carnival,low cost,easy to get around to the courts most times in one location.
In the younger age groups 12 and 14 there still is a lot of number of teams participating older age groups the number of teams can sometimes be thin. Mildura is approx 4 hours compared to Melbourne which is over 8 hours driving. Having been to both carnivals the Mildura one is way less stressful.Mildura suits more the div 3 and some div 2 teams. If you play A grade in Mildura don't think the games will be easy because you could end up playing their rep sides.

Reply #412158 | Report this post

K-B  
Years ago

Went last year with the kids , had a good laugh at the masters carnaval they run at the same time at the same stadium, bunch of older (lol) players running around and some were pretty good and have played at a high level but the very colorful trash talking was what my kids thought was very funny. It was a great fun carnival and will be going again this year.

Reply #412173 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:23 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754