Grand Final series: New Zealand vs Perth

Starts this Sunday:

New Zealand Breakers vs Perth Wildcats

Game One

Sunday 7 April @ Vector Arena
Tip-off: 4:00pm (local time)
TV: TBC
Online: LIVE on NBL.TV on tablets and mobile, simulcast on PC
Tickets: Members Priority Period: Wednesday 3 April from 9am-10am. Breakers Database: Wednesday 3 April from 10am. General Public: Wednesday 3 April from 11am. www.ticketmaster.co.nz

Game Two

Friday 12 April @ Perth Arena
Tip-off: 7:30pm (local time)
Tickets: TBC. Check www.wildcats.com.au, www.ticketek.com.au or call 132 849 for updates

Game Three (if required)

Thursday 18 April @ Vector Arena
Tip-off: 7:30pm (local time)
Tickets: TBC. Check www.nzbreakers.co.nz or www.ticketmaster.co.nz for updates
Before Martin's injury, NZ were paying $1.70 and Perth $2.05. Would bookies dare put NZ too much shorter?

I finally got my account back into respectable territory, doubling my money first on a Breakers-Wildcats SF1 multi, and then throwing all of that on Perth straight up to beat Wollongong in SF2.

Topic #31303 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

You couldn't possibly leave NZ's odds further out than $1.50, or you'll be paying out absurd amounts of money. I mean, you always have to account for the possibility that Wagstaff will draw a retaliatory tech from a player, inciting a melee that causes the entire Breaker's starting 5 to break their wrists from over-enthusiastically pummeling Wagstaff's face. (NB: this is the only current scenario I can think of where the Wildcats win the series at present)

Unfortunately, Home Court Advantage and a lack of Martin are obstacles that, in combination, won't be surmounted. We'll win game 2 but I think Vector Arena will continue to go unconquered this year.

Reply #411839 | Report this post

Achilles Heel  
Years ago

Sorry for snapping on martin lol

Reply #411843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Injury trolls, so classy.

Reply #411846 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Real shame for the Wildcats and for the fans who wanted to see the 2 best teams go at it.

Breakers 2-1 #3peat

Reply #411849 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Chucked $100on NZ before the season when they were paying $4.25. Looked like good odds then, looks like great odds now

Reply #411851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ Remind me to do that next year as well.

Reply #411855 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'839, I would've thought the same, but while the Breakers have talent, they looked a bit casual and sloppy against the Kings. I don't think the Wildcats really have that often in their game. Yes, they have a couple of tools, but they're focussed tools... Sometimes you get the impression that the Breakers have mentally put the trophy on the shelf already and that could work against them.

Probably won't, but could. If Martin was playing, my tip would be Perth even with the two games abroad.

Reply #411860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll make sure to arrange for someone to ship the champagne to Breakers HQ the day before Gm 3 :)

With any luck...

Reply #411861 | Report this post

Cats 82  
Years ago

Yea the cats lost martin, its perth they are playing. We got carter, lost alot on the defence but they gain on offence. Good old saying, never corner a cat.

Reply #411864 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

I hope NZ Smash Perth.

Reply #411878 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Agree wth Isaac about tipping Perth had Martin been healthy. Disagree about focus though. Yes the Breakers haven't looked sharp, but in reality they weren't going to be troubled to this point either so it's only human nature that they were a bit sloppy. Same in that last regular season game at Perth Arena - nothing at stake and their play showed it, but I don't think that means anything for this series.

Just maybe, Martin being out could give them some false overconfidence.
If Carter & Bartlett can hit their shots in game 1 then things could get interesting. If they can't... the series might not even make it to game 3.

Reply #411885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's some powerful bitterness, Triton, but shouldn't you be wanting the Breakers to smash the NBL. Since according to you they were the group that *actually* beat your team, not the Cats.

Reply #411887 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Well if they win that would be 3 in a row, so they pretty much are smashing the NBL

Reply #411892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was thinking more of walking into NBL HQ with a can of spray paint and an "A" stencil, but your point has validity.

Reply #411894 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

If Wildcats can grab the first game they will win it in 2. If not it will go to three games and whoever has the most left in the tank will take it out.

Damien Martin going out is a huge loss but I dont think enough to write off the Wildcats.

Reply #411895 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

NZ paying $1.50 is very tempting to load up on.
Almost a sure thing now Martin has gone down.
Defence wins championships and that guy is a stand out!

Reply #411901 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

CJ and Boucher have 8 rings between them, pretty sure that they'll both be in the other players ears about what it's going to take to get over Perth so I don't think NZ will be complacent, and especially after the hidings Perth served them in the regular season.

Reply #411908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both teams have streak shooters and can put points in a hurry. Martin being out is hard but i can not understand how one person can change a gf result? Best defender, still got carter tovey and bartlet u need a team effort, i love damo and that could be the tonic perth need. We lost nothing in the scoring department. If it was licsh or redhage then yea. Think it will go to three games, perth are due for a bit of luck, three seasons with injuries. Nz deserve to be up there but they have had alot go there way. End of the day they both teams wana win its who can hit the shots and for me ill be looking at hire to have a big one. Can't see perth goin down two gfs in a row

Reply #411910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have it on good authority that Rob Beveridge will be let go even if he doesn't get the Boomers' job and that Redhage is the only Wildcat that will re-sign from those off contract. Martin and Wagstaff were also going to ask for a release from their contracts if Beveridge wasn't at the Wildcats. I don't know if Martin will still do it now that he is injured.

Reply #411922 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The power balance in the league could adjust somewhat if Lemanis got the Boomers gig and Bevo changed clubs or coached in China. I think the Breakers could carry on under Vickerman without much change, but Perth could lose a few players if the coach was out of there.

In my dream, Bevo coaches the 36ers and brings Martin with him. That'd help.

Reply #411924 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

To be honest, Martin injury doesn't mean too much.

They have the luxury of bringing Carter into the starting 5.

Pretty damn good reserve PG if you ask me, considering the other reserve PGs for other teams are the likes of Kerry Williams, Croswell and Daly, Luke Martin, Tomlinson, Norton. (Though Norto and Tomlinson I really like how they play)

He is a defensive hustler. Still a better defender than most starting point guards in the league.

In fact, now that Martin is out, the Breakers can't really sag off the PG because although he is pretty inconsistent, Carter can nail a few from deep when he is 'on'.

Reply #411927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only way some of these rumours of Bevo and the whole team disappearing would make any kind of sense is if the Cats management is worried by negative feedback about the attractiveness of play and want to completely jettison the defensive-focus approach for going completely offensively gung-ho.

Under no other circumstance whatsoever would these rumours make sense.

Reply #411930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nick Marvin likes to control all aspects of the club; Bevo wants him to keep his hands off the basketball side of things.

If Marvin has his way Bevo will not be at the club next year.

If Bevo is not at the club the players who are loyal to Bevo not the Wildcats will walk out.

Players loyal to Bevo not the Wildcats:
Lisch
Martin
Knight
Wagstaff
Carter
Trueman

What doesn't make sense about that?

Reply #411934 | Report this post

Cats 82  
Years ago

Points cap is the problem, why would not sign bevo? He has made three grand finals in four years. Loyal? Money is a factor, only other team u would want to play for is nz to have any real chance of getting a ring. Or adelaide for a spoon

Reply #411944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Bevo went to Townsville and had Martin, Lisch and Knight with Norton, Blanchfield, Holmes, Crawford and Hinder he would win a championship easy!!!!!

Reply #411945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did NZ get all the good fortune? So many times this season they came up against a team with injured players. Would have accounted for and extra couple of W's this year. Now, three consecutive playoffs their main rival for the championship is weakened again. I cant endure anymore of CJ raising his arms every time he hits a three ball

Reply #411974 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Provided all three games are needed, the NBL are possibly looking at their highest aggregate GF attendance in years. With two games at the 9,300 seat Vector Arena and one at the Perth Arena (which can hold 14,856), its possible that capacity crowds could see well over 34,000 attending.

I don't think the league has seen that sort of GF attendance since the days of the Magic v Tigers at Rod Laver Arena in the 90's when they averaged almost 15K per game. I can't recall it happening even in the 5 game series played between 2003/04 and 2008/09.

Reply #411979 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

^ great point, and there are people acting like the NBL is going backwards.

Reply #411982 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Even the five-game series between Sydney & West Sydney, Melbourne & Sydney and Melbourne & South had more than that. Of course, they have to turn up for this series before we laud it too much!

Reply #411984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When you consider that it is NOT a derby and that away fans would have to spend hundreds getting to the game, it makes it that little bit more special.

Reply #411996 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sorry, my post above was meant to say "didnt have more than that".

Reply #412000 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

I don't know if Perth Arena will have the top tier above the corporate boxes open though. If they did, that will lift the capacity to 14,846 as Holden V8 said. That section has been closed all season because I was told that the view onto the court is obstructed by the scoreboard. If it's still closed off, the capacity will still be around the 12,500 mark.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did open it though for this one off as this will sell out fast, regardless of a freo afl match played at the same time.

Reply #412003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ Quick, what's a dodgier sounding mineral than "Nickel" for a ticketing class!

Reply #412009 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Uranium?

Reply #412010 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Can't wait!

Game 1 is more crucial for the Breakers.

If Perth lose, they will still be confident heading home to a 12k packed out arena to save the series.

But, IF NZ lose, they will be faced with the daunting task of saving the series in front of a raucous Perth crowd, where they haven't played well in the past.

Reply #412015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope dillon Boucher punches that arrogant smirk of kevin lischs face for being cheating flopping durty playa. demos shuld hav been given a metal 4 droppin' him in the semi

Reply #412068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can't be a Wollongong supporter, surely.

This a trap!

Reply #412075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They spell like a Wollongong supporter.

Reply #412076 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I hope Boucher punches Lisch too!

Reply #412080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Game 1 Boucher ejection and suspension, now there's a thought.

Reply #412083 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Odds out now for the championship, with Perth missing Damian Martin:

New Zealand Breakers $1.50
Perth Wildcats $2.60

Any value there either side or have they nailed it?

Reply #412129 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I'd say that's about right.
Perth still a realistic chance but NZ the clear favourite.

Reply #412137 | Report this post

tim  
Years ago

Call me bias or whatever, but Lisch is definitely not arrogant in any way. He does his job and his probably the most humble sportsman i've seen in a long time. Just because he is better than the woolongong players and did an incredible job of helping the wildcats kick the hawks out of the finals, it does not make him arrogant or in anyway worthy of being punched in the face.

Kevin is a clean, disciplined player who i doubt has fouled out of a game since playing in the NBL. He hasn't been fined or gotten in trouble for flopping before, and you can clearly see in all replays that he was elbowed in the chin, which was why his opponent picked up a foul and then the crowd started booing him.

Maybe, Anon, you should watch the game carefully before you make comments about Lisch being arrogant and deserving a punch to his face. You're just jealous that he doesn't play for your team who couldn't manage to win a game in the finals.

Reply #412139 | Report this post

catsfan  
Years ago

@Anon:
Nick Marvin released a statement saying that Rob Beveridge is always welcome to coach at the Wildcats. Bevo said that he would try and manage both the Boomers and the Wildcats if he could, and that he would love to stay in Perth because it is where his family is settled.

Damian Martin is unlikely to leave the Wildcats, and I don't think that Knight would leave either. Both have bought houses in Perth (which I know they would be able to sell) but it is a sign that they are settled here. They also both have girlfriends that live/come from Perth.

Lisch could possibly leave (as much as I hate that thought) because his wife is from Sydney and they are apparently offering him a huge pay rise. However, he is also settled in Perth, and he has a great relationship with Bevo. I'm hoping that he will stay-- thoughts?!

Reply #412141 | Report this post

neutered cattery  
Years ago

Hey Tim. I might be "bias" but...It's Wollongong.

Reply #412152 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:40 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754