Isaac
Years ago

Batkovic signs with Townsville Fire

Boti on Twitter: "Won't play again for Bucks" and "Boyfriend lives in Townsville."

Interesting!

Topic #31306 | Report this topic

CR  
Years ago

As of about 6 pm all over the news feeds as a done deal ...

Reply #411943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where is the money coming from

Reply #411949 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

I guess making grand final has had some spin offs with sponsorship and being able to attract this type of player. Big tick for Lucas again to get Suzy up there will be interesting to see who else they can attract.

Reply #411961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they might have gotten her cheaper also because the boyfriend is in Townsville

Reply #411962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's a big get for Townsville. Rumor was they were chasing Blicavs pretty hard and maybe another big. Ardossi was mentioned and so was Carley Mijovic.
Seems the league is really struggling with Bigs......the next few weeks will be interesting.

Reply #411971 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

Massive news if true, this signing could bring the Fire a championship. I want Logan to sign Suzi.

Reply #411993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TOWNSVILLE Fire's gun recruit Suzy Batkovic says she doesn't feel any pressure to deliver the North Queensland club a maiden championship.

The back-to-back Women's National Basketball League most valuable player was one of the most sought after players in the country after her naming on the free agency list but a desire to be closer to her partner Adam Savage, who is based in Townsville, played a major role in her signing.

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2013/04/03/378577_sport.html

Reply #411997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Suzy didnt make one mention of Buckle in Boti's bit in the paper today, made a vague reference to 'staff' & special mention to the 'Marino's'. How did things go so bad between Batkovic & Buckle. Heard rumours all year that Batkovic felt that Buckle didnt treat her with enough respect & seek out her opinion enough throughout the season. I'm not buying the 'partner excuse' here, if you want to move on, move on! Just be honest with us Batkovic!

Reply #412004 | Report this post

Jax  
Years ago

Triton 95 - Why would Suzy sign with Logan! Logan are on a road to nowhere fast!

Reply #412104 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Moving to be closer to her partner is entirely valid and reason enough on its own, but the lack of mention of the coach is telling.

Boti mentioned on Twitter that he did make mention of their broken relationship in his story, but that it didn't make the final story. Presumably at the discretion of an editor.

Reply #412109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry Isaac but I'm not buying that. It's too convenient & easy for Big Suzy to trot out that line without giving us the truth behind her leaving the Lightning.

Reply #412122 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

Great news. Best of luck to her. She performed well at Lightning, and reckon same will continue at the Fire.

Reply #412169 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, what aren't you buying exactly? I said that it's clear there is a problem between her and the coach. I said moving for a partner is also completely realistic and the two could well be factors. I also said that Boti's full story made mention of her no longer wanting to play for the coach, but an editor chopped it. Whether she speaks more about it in the media is entirely her choice.

It's not necessarily about being convenient and easy but not trashing someone publically or burning a bridge further. There are countless working relationships that break down and the parties move on without looking to make a song and dance about it.

Reply #412171 | Report this post

Lightning fast  
Years ago

I have personally been at the Arena when Lightning had a training session and witnessed the coach absolutely berate Batkovic - is it any wonder the league MVP does not want to play for him??

Reply #412183 | Report this post

finals688  
Years ago

But Bucks berates everyone, some more than others?

Reply #412273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Announced this morning that Steph Cumming has also signed with Townsville.

Have any of the other teams made any signing announcements yet?

Reply #412738 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:24 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754