Jack Toft
Years ago

R1 ABL Action

And here we go. Local basketball is back with a vengence and I'll get this ship cast off and out to sea to face giant squid, mines, pirates and icebergs. I trust everyone’s basketball labido is raging and ready for BSA to unshackle the chastity belt of the off season. I’ll get R1 off to a start then see how we go because I can't guarantee a weekly windup.

South v North @ the Southern Tin Shed
Women: North have been strong for a while now and South’s star is on the rise. The Rockettes would have pencilled this one in for an easy W last year, but the Pantheresses will be in the hunt early with only faith in themselves holding them back. Not quite enough though tonight as Rockettes hold back a team that will get deadlier as the season goes on.
Men: Why do these teams have to be so clean cut? It’s so hard to stir them up when both teams look like members of boy bands. Norf to win this arm wrestle.

Norwood v Southern @ MARS
Women: Massive player drain at Southern between seasons will test them tonight against one of the League’s power teams. Norwood Lightning could get out of second gear if they want to, but it’s only round 1.
Men: Brad’s boys look set to double the pain for the Tigers. You would think they would offer them a panadol if they were nice guys. Norwood to give a lot of teams headaches, starting from tonight.

Sturt v Centrals @ Pasadena Manor
Women: This game looked a lot more interesting a month ago. Sturt with a young team and Centrals with more pre-season worries than Rolf Harris at a Jamboree. But AJ knows how to make silk purses and so this will still be a close game. Sturt will not disappoint their mummies at home and will celebrate with a shopping trip to Burnside Village.
Men: Sturt are always hard to beat at home, as Centrals would know. Even with Kyle on fire, it’s hard to tip against Sturt. I see Sturt have picked up a St Marks boy - it’s rare to see them outside their natural habitat of the Oxford. Sturt to start the season off with a win.

Woodville v Eastern @ St Clair Nissan Hut
Women: Woodville have recruited well and look considerably stronger this year. I am particularly impressed and that’s just looking at their head shots. The Eastern Madgens are always strong. Will Woodville be able to work as a team and shut down Tess, or will Tess chalk up some early MVP points. I am leaning towards the Mavs stealing an early one.
Men: Great to see a Woodville legend in Darren Ng back in the green and gold. All they need to do now is get Ricey back on the pine. Can someone lend the Mavs a camera though? Their headshots are awkward to say the least.... Woodville by plenty at home.

West v Forestville @ Port Adelaide
Women: A month ago, the only interest in this game was whether Carla would be put on the teamsheet. Sheesh. This is the GOTR with the recent additions to the Bearcats. This will be a tough, tough game and princesses best not take court. Sorry Eagles fans, don’t expect milk in your skinny decaf-macchiato with a twist of lemon coffee tonight. West to scratch out a hard fought surprise win.
Men: There are some things Paul Bell does well and recruiting Sixers players is one of those things. I don’t think they are playing yet, but West are always hard to smack around on the pine (or the replica pine) at the Port. The Eagles have a real fight on their hands tonight and only their long range bombs to be the difference tonight. Eagles to be like North Korea and rain fire from outside the arc to get the win.

Topic #31321 | Report this topic

SamCro  
Years ago

Exceptional write up as always Jack! Great to see you back doing this again!

Reply #412224 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

I agree with Toft... That is all lol

Reply #412226 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I'm sure Al can find something in the salary cap for you Ricey.

Reply #412227 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Something to look forward to each week Jack. great job....

By the way, have you applied for the role at BSA for Comms/Sponsorship/Marketing?

Nothing from the bomb shelter yesterday on the sale of the AA from the CEO

Reply #412228 | Report this post

I AGREE  
Years ago

Awesome work again Jack glad you didnt give it away.

Reply #412231 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

Good to see Jack back in the black

Reply #412233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great right up jack.

Rumour from up north though is the AJ you speak of has received a tap on the shoulder and it's likely to be a certain someone with the initals KB with the whiteboard come this Saturday night.

Reply #412234 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Any new imports in the ABL this year?

Reply #412237 | Report this post

asb  
Years ago

Welcome back Jack as usual great write up.

Reply #412242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KB is hardly an upgrade if that rumour is true. Great player, but terrible coach.

Reply #412254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

think some of your predictions are a bit off toft. Done see Sturt men or forestville men getting the win.

Reply #412258 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I am always glad to be proven wrong, especially when I have tipped Sturt to win.

I think that game will be a very good game. Sturt are pretty young, Centrals are young, but Kyle Miller is returning for the Lions, so don't expect him to see much time on his bum on the bench. Sturt will control the game through their fouling and grabby D. Refs get tired of calling fouls so they take the weak option and let things go. That works for the team playing that grabby D and so I think that will be the difference.

The West-Forestville game will be another very, very good game. West should be dominant around the boards and should win the inside game. Forestville will need to be shooting well to keep in touch. But....one thing that Forestville do very well is stay within armpit sniffing range all game. Don't be surprised is they are down around 5 with 2 mins to go and win the game. The Ginger Ninja is begging to be fed a kickout for a swish 3.

Reply #412263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Westies Sixers recruits will line up this weekend.

Reply #412264 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

West would have to be the biggest team this season by far, and a shoe in almost for the number 1 spot. Will be interesting to see how teams their big man rotation

Reply #412266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West go 10 deep but the Sixer boys won't be there for every game. Some teams may get lucky purely by the draw.

Reply #412268 | Report this post

Tack Joft  
Years ago

What happened Jack?

(As seasoned punters would know, for the last 4 seasons I have been doing a weekly review and windup of the ABL games initially in the absence of any official BSA reviews. I have tried to keep them a little light hearted and hopefully they have inspired some to put in that little extra, and brought a chuckle to some people as well. I haven't meant to offend anyone in particular, so if you have been offended by a joke, then that was not intended, unless you play for Sturt or make silly tweets.

In writing the Reviews I have always tried to tie in current affairs, political events, club politics, BSA politics, threads from Hoops during the week and a few personal jokes. There's been quite a few "easter egg" jokes I've dropped in there that have gone un-discovered.

As you can imagine I put a bit of time into them and have a list of jokes and sayings that I have been jotting down along the way that I bring out to colour the review. With the ABL season about six weeks away, I just wanted to let everyone know that I am would like to hand the reigns over to someone else so they can put their own slant on the ABL Season. Hopefully someone will stand up and accept this challenge.

I've had a good time writing them and wish whoever takes it on the best of luck.)

Reply #412270 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Common-sense prevailed.
Great write-up and already prompting discussion about Round 1

Reply #412277 | Report this post

The fiancé and I loved the write-up.

The only question now is which game to attend?

Reply #412296 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

New coaches @ Woodville woman's will make a big difference this season

Reply #412297 | Report this post

Years ago

who is the new sturt m player ?

Reply #412323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No wonder that the there is no money for the girls program with all the cash they are spending on the CABL women.
Al will be real upset.... less brown paper bags available for him and his team

Reply #412325 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

Have the rules changed? Have 3 Centrals players been cleared to West?

Reply #412346 | Report this post

No as I understand, 2 are at west and 1 is at Norwood

Reply #412351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i'd say there's a good 4 at west.. and at least 1 elsewhere

Reply #412354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there really such a thing as the salary cap

Reply #412357 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Jack, I have missed you.

Reply #412362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Salary Cap?....Just ask Forestville

Reply #412364 | Report this post

Wam Soosnam  
Years ago

West picking up 4 players?? that's why the rule was written to stop the movement ( Originally from South to southern and Vice versa)

My mail is that centrals will not be clearing any of the players, that they are not obliged too, for this weeks games.

Reply #412369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

already cleared. done and dusted

Reply #412376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lets clear this up

Centrals have lost

3 to west (2 cleared at this stage)
1 to norwood (not cleared)
2 to woodville (both not cleared)

Reply #412380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lets name names here hey!

Reply #412382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like there are some serious problems out Centrals way with the women.
The solution seems obvious to me: why not put supercoach Toby Lockwood in charge? Surely they'd win the championship then, because apparently Toby is awesome.

Yes folks this is a joke.

Reply #412396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where's the stats webcasts?

Reply #412538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not working, great!!!

Reply #412540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The money woodville spent on new coaches and an import was wasted as same old same old results in the women's and they will struggle .

Reply #412541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stats were good only missing the south north game so far

Reply #412542 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

same old result - well one game makes a season does it? Grand finalist in April - me thinks that you might want to look beyond one game i doubt the winners round one be all undefeated.Flames have in the box but you think that be improvement and challenges from others - many twists and turds to come. Lions will also be improving with kb in control Eagles and sturt always solid - me thinks be very enthralling womens comp

Reply #413344 | Report this post

Clive Bixby  
Years ago

Well you would definetly "want to look beyond one game" if there are "many twists and turds to come".

Reply #413377 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:15 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754