Wondering Coach
Years ago

Standard of NBL "Basketball" compared to the world

I was just reading a comment in a thread about the standard of 'Basketball' in the NBL, and it got me thinking about the standard of ball around the world and the STYLE of play.

NBA - Entertainment based. Very little defense played, and the team that 'tries' the hardest wins. Offensively the best in the world. Talent wise the best in the world. Some of the best coaches (Eric Spoelstra, Gregg Pop, etc, etc). And the Referees let the game flow for the most part. And the best ATHLETES in the world

NBL - Very defense based league. NZ and Perth (the 2 best teams) play the best defense. Hence the low scores around the league. Teams need EXCELLENT structures in offense to win or even to get a score on the board. The talent isn't overly fantastic. The defense, for the most part, is outstanding. And because we don't have the level of athletes the NBA does, we have to rely on great defenses and structured offenses to win, rather than passing the ball to LeBron or Kobe in a late shotclock situation and letting them do something special.
Our league is a LOT like womens ball, because the athletes aren't there, we need structure. The referees are more FIBA orientated, hence the large foul counts, the travel calls, etc, etc. Its a more PURE game than the NBA.

Europe - Fantastic Basketball. Watching the Euro League and Euro Cup on Foxtel really opens your eyes to the purity of Basketball in Europe. A lot like Australia, where the level of athlete isn't there, so they're very structured based as well. The refereeing is arguably the best in the world. The crowds are incredible. The defense is, at times, stunning.

NCAA - The only thing that lets College ball down is the ridiculous rules they have.
35 second SC for men, 30 for women. 10 second backcourt for men, no count for women. And you can throw the ball into the backcourt on a pass in.
Besides the rules, there is quality Basketball. The defense is there, the standard of athletes is there, the officiating (for the most part) is there, and they have probably the best Coaches in the world (Coach K, Rick Pitino, Tom Izzo, Shaka Smart, Brad Stevens, John Beiheim, etc, etc).

Thoughts??

Topic #31360 | Report this topic

skud  
Years ago

The NBL needs to increase the level of entertainment. This is purely what brings in enough $$ to run a team. A league can be as pure as it wants but without an entertainment value, it will be as poor as it deserves.
Euroleague has more talent than the NBL and is able to play a more pure style than we should have here. When we have the money and talent of the Euroleague then a defense based competition will still have the requirements to succeed.
The NBA is overkill on entertainment, you lose the respect of the players when they can walk from half court so long as they dunk it.

We need to find the middle ground between these two leagues to develop Australian basketball. Kids (who need to be our largest growth market) don't go to games to see who set the best screen, or the best steal, they definitely don't go to see scores of 50 points regularly. They go for the best dunks, crazy drives to the basket and free flowing fast action packed entertainment. I will continue to say this and one day someone will listen!

No one ever said, I wish I could set a screen and keep the others team ridiculously low like Mike!

Reply #412910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL is the most fun!

Reply #412911 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Euroleague basketball is really quality basketball for purists but the only thing holding the league back is the lack of exposure or marketing worldwide. It isn't sold to international markets with the storylines like the NBA is

Reply #412912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Excellent summary coach & an equally excellent response skud.

NBL = National Boredom League

Reply #412914 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

NBL is relatively uptempo and a much higher standard of overall play than people give it credit for. The individual skill level isn't that high though.

There is obviously a massive drop off in coaching level from the second best team to the third best.

Conditioning and athleticism are not great: compare the body of a young NBL player to an NBA or AFL player of similar age. NBL guys don't seem to put in much work in the weight room.

Reply #412915 | Report this post

Wondering Coach  
Years ago

As a Coach, I go to the NBL because teams play a style that you can use in a district game.
And thats what I tell the kids I coach.

We go to watch fundamental defense, big screens set, big box outs and to see NZ and Perth get through their offensive sets.

Reply #412917 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The NBA and Euroleague (particularly the top half) are the clear world leaders out of hundred of leagues, comparing the NBL with them isnt ideal.

The only half decent comparison with Euroleague could be NZ and Perth, because if we were a part of Europe they would be the two current clubs in the qualifying race.

Taking this year aside, where defenders have been allowed to be very physical with hand and bodies, the NBL is fast paced in the open and half courts, teams mostly have one true big man and a 4-5 man, then a lot of multi-skilled players.

The players are mostly quick and mobile, meaning the defence is intense and with a lot of switching. Offensively it is one of the more equal opportunity leagues with most teams having four (or close to) players in double figures.

The way it's played and reffed at the moment means it's hard to exploit and big line-up and quick players are favoured over strong players, which makes it different to a lot of Euro comps.

It would be nice to see that change so we could achieve a bit more of a balance between the two styles.

Reply #412919 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The NBL is considered a good defensive league.

But I wonder if that isn't just because there is a relative lack of good offensive players.

The ones at the top (Ced, Madgen) can fill it up and defenses stick to these guys, but there isn't many in the league nowadays.

Reply #412937 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

the NBA has defence!
Its just hard to play when every player is a genuine threat inside the 3point line. A player would get really tired playing end to end defence for the whole game
The game is 48mins in the nba. And there's 82-100 games for teams. The reason why refs don't call as much fouls is simply because they don't want a game to be determined by a refs call . Entertainment wise its the best week in week out
Euro plays with lot of finesse
NBL is based a lot on structure and what the opponent can do and we can't . Most teams try to disrupt perths rugged defennsive style, or try and break nzs pressure and zone

Reply #412938 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's not thought of that way internationally. It used to be thought of as a no-D league, but over the years that has improved. But when you consider last season it had the highest scoring rate of the world's top leagues (including NBA) it isnt considered a gun defensive comp by any means.

People OS I speak to think of the NBL more in terms of good offensive talent, especially when guys like Penney, Devries, Rowland, McKee, Wilson, Simpson, Darden etc are/have been amongst the leading scorers in some of Europe's better competitions.

Reply #412939 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

[Entertaining play] This is purely what brings in enough $$ to run a team.
I really disagree with this. Perth aren't all that entertaining and are doing exceptionally well.

Reply #412944 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

You can't just put down the level of structure and defense in Australia/Europe to a lack of athleticism compared to the NBA.

I'd say the defensive 3 second rule plays a big role in keeping an NBA court open and thus easier to play isolation/one-on-one plays.

The 82 game regular season and relative lack of practices because teams are often playing 4-5 nights a week certainly contributes to less structure and strategy compared to Europe/Australia as well.

And also that with such a long season (and 48 minute games) it's unsustainable to play any full court defense, let alone much half court defense.

Of course having said that the athletic and shot creating ability of NBA players is on the whole superior to Europe.

Reply #412946 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

NBA has the best players/athletes in each position

Reply #412953 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Did I hear that correctly...The NBA has defence??????

Reply #412954 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

Martin or Vukona wouldn't be able to handle kobe or wade
MJ was a beast defender
Lebron never gives up
Look how much damage Jackson has done to the nbl
Steals leader 2years in a row, yet he's not in the nba
Nobody gets payed in the nba to not play defence

Reply #412958 | Report this post

Jim Bert  
Years ago

"Perth aren't all that entertaining and are doing exceptionally well." - Isaac

That's because they are playing winning basketball, which is arguably the best form of entertainment.

Reply #412961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mike Fratello might disagree.

Reply #412970 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Why not get the NBA to just buy up our little league and run it as a feeder league, like the D-league?

Reply #412981 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@ Jez, you make some valid points about the differences in rules and how this affects defensive play, also I agree with your assessment on the amount of games played and how hard it would be to play a 'college' style of 'D' for such a long period...

Yes, the NBA does play great defense, it is just not quite as structured as it is here, by necessity!

We have what we have because of the type of athlete we have, the rules we adopt, the way we coach, the way we officiate the game and no one is courageous enough to change it.

Yes we are not the same as the NBA, and we may never be, because when you walk down the street or to the park you do not see pick up games of hoops played by 6'6" brothers, all with amazing athleticism.

It is a cultural anomoli that Euro can close in on because of population and the fact that they adopt hoops as a world game, we don't seem to...

Not yet.........

Reply #412987 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That's because they are playing winning basketball, which is arguably the best form of entertainment.
That I would agree with!

Reply #412988 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

NBL needs more indigenous exposure/players
There's plenty of patty mills and nathan jawais out there
Just need to find them
NZ Breakers aren't entirely european , there's plenty of diversity in there lineup.
No matter the background , basketball is on the rise globally.
NBL vs PBA all stars would be great to watch.

Reply #413009 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

In terms of standard the NBA, NCAA D1 and televised Euro I've seen are far beyond the NBL.

The NBL doesn't have the consistent quality basketball, and in turn an entertaining and marketable product.

The gap between the best NZ and Perth a combined 46 wins, and (near) playoff rest: Wollongong, Melbourne, Sydney and Cairns combined for 48...is obvious.

NZ/P had 65% of wins of the the Final 4...or 49% for the top 6.

If you throw in the gaspers Townsville and Adelaide bumbled to a combined 18.

They still have 41% of the league wins.

While there wasn't parity across the league the NBL at its peak most fans thought their team was a chance.

Entertainment is a key factor for the league. It once had high flying, arcobatic players (mostly imports) who got fans up off their seats.

The Aussie talent was also competitive and was forced to rise up to match it.

The players were interesting, agitating or just annoying but it drew people in and got the game some excellent coverage.

It is now become over-coached, almost bogged down, play as coaches trade plays - that work about 25% of the time.

Reply #413034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah, the teams didnt concentrate much on defence and the lack of depth of Aussies made it easier for imports to look good.

Reply #413036 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I find SEABL so much more entertaining, but I guess I am watching the best team going around outside the NBL, so I am bias as far as that goes...

Supercats are a great model for a SEABL team, two very athletics and exciting imports, quality across the board and a home crowd atmosphere to be envied.

Other teams could do a lot worse than go down their road IMO (that includes NBL teams in a joint comp)??

Reply #413058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The difference between the NBL and Europe is that the Europeans are so much more efficient offensively and shoot it far better, and obviously the bigs are bigger and better.

The guys coming off the bench in Europe routinely get less looks and hit them at a much higher clip - they score more points off less shots.

The guys is the NBL just dont shoot it well enough, and its been the achilles heal of the Boomers post-Gaze and Heal.

Reply #413095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The standard in the NBA is BY FAR the lowest. It's barely even a real sporting competition.

Reply #413133 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:35 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754