Mick
Years ago

How much capital to float a community model?

So in light of the Crocs' demise and with a community model seemingly the only way forward for the club, how much capital is actually required to "float" an NBL franchise?

How much did Cairns and Wollongong start with?

Topic #31361 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

They had someone to guarantee the $1mill. for starters. If I were you I would be asking the question about the Sixers as well going down this road.
Getting a community model up for any team in the next month and a half wont happen. Thats the dealine that there is for the NBL to commit to their 8 team competition for the TV stuff to continue.

Reply #412940 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Never really asked about details, but I think that NRE in Wollongong basically cover any shortfall. They also essentially give the Hawks an operating budget for the roster which is obviously below the cap.

FWIW, I believe that Wollongong (and probably Cairns) are more than happy to explain their setup to other teams considering the community model.

Reply #412942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Word is that the Hawks are shaky, Adelaide ahs to be shaky.

Reply #412949 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

There's no such word. Wollongong are fine.

Reply #412966 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Kristina Keneally sounds like an idiot not letting George Colbran be a part on the NBL's conference.

http://blogs.abc.net.au/queensland/2013/04/george-colbran-talks-about-the-crocs.html

Reply #412975 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

She kicked him out of the meeting haha.

Reply #412998 | Report this post

RT  
Years ago

Are the 36ers going down the community model format?
Have not herd anything other than general discussion about this.

Reply #413000 | Report this post

Vladimir Putin  
Years ago

Why is that funny mick ?

Reply #413049 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Because it's just stupid. "You're not an owner any more, you're not allowed in. I don't believe you. Wah Wah Wah"

Reply #413088 | Report this post

Vladimir Putin  
Years ago

Oh,I understand mick, you are laughing at her . He is still an owner. If you hear George's side of the story, you'll see he is right. BA have had access to the crocs books anytime.

Reply #413090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good idea letting the owner into a private meeting when that same owner just walked. The discussions would be privelidged and they discussions would be what are we going to do about the Crocs situation. George is only interested in 2 things. George and making money.
The Crocs had 61 HOME sell-out games in a row. No thought then about looking after the Crocs in the future.

Reply #413115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If George was only interested in making money why has the club continually lost 500K a year for the past 6 years???

Maybe the club should have found an extra 500K a year or spent 500k a year less.

If they sell out games and still lose money year after year there's a massive fundamental issue with the entire program.

Reply #413118 | Report this post

Vladimir Putin  
Years ago

115 - what bullshit you say ! George wears his heart on his sleeve. He has poured thousands of his own money into the crocs. If you drive around Townsville, you would see all the other sports he sponsors at the junior and senior levels. I take offence to your comment. You're an idiot.

Reply #413209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Undoubtedly George and co have put in $2.5mill at least over the last 6 seasons. I am sure he is a great community supporter too. It has been rumoured for a long time now that if they were bleeding they would walk. Guess what they tried to walk without even reading their own ownership obligations.
The continual home sellouts were in their profit making days. Of recent seasons and where the losses have occurred poor management has lost the fans, the on court success has been limited, poor player selection, finals appearances token and losing fan favourites like Rillie, Homicide and even stacker has disenfranchised the fans who are now expected to save the club.
BBL say they have the community model ready to go and maybe they should have implemented that idea earlier when they had the money.
The community model still relies on a benefactor. Who pays the $1million bank guarantee? Who picks up the short fall each season that the team losses every season? A cash influx is far from the long term answer unfortunately.

Reply #413251 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:55 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754