Isaac
Years ago

Is the NBL minimum player salary too high?

A friend of mine closely involved in the league makes the argument that the minimum player salary in the NBL is too high. I don't know the exact number these days - $37k or so?

Their argument goes that the final roster positions (9th, 10th, 11th men) don't usually have as much of an impact on the team, yet their wage compares favourably with the guy one step up the pecking order who might play decent minutes for a real impact.

Let's say that Pero Vasiljevic (3.9 MPG) or Luke Martin (7.5 MPG) or Dan Jackson (10.4 MPG) get that minimum for very limited minutes while other players get potentially 20-30% more in salary for 2-3 times the impact.

Could a reduced wage for the cheapest player and an understanding that they won't always be able to make every training due to part-time work commitments (or even work within the club) either allow for more money to be channeled towards showcase players or reduce the costs slightly for owners?

Obviously clubs would still have the option to pay players more than the minimum if they could and might be involved in helping find part-time work with sponsors and adjusting training schedules where appropriate.

Surely there is a middle ground between what we have now and the occasional call for a return to a semi-pro league?

Topic #31363 | Report this topic

Vart  
Years ago

It would have to be conditional, as you mention Issac. In 2003 the minimum salary was only $20,000, so it has jumped quite a lot in 10 years. It could go back to this level if those minimum level players were only part-time, and could source decent income elsewhere, but if the clubs expect them to be full-time athletes, then its not enough.

Reply #413003 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Yes, they are too high.

Especially, when some 10th/11th players don't even play. They are merely training bait.

Another good idea would be to change training times to nightish, 6pmish?

There won't be any effects of switching training from the day to night.
If anything, it will help because teams would be training at a time similar to when they play.

Additional weight training/conditioning sessions could be worked in around job times.

Instead of negotiating player salaries, maybe Holmes could raise the prospect of having regulations in place which force coaches and clubs to have a limited number of day-time training's, a certain time for other days when they must train (e.g. 6pm) and allowing additional training's to be scheduled around work.

Kind of like the NCAA model, but not as onerous.

But who am I kidding..something this drastic wouldn't happen for ages.

Reply #413004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those used as training bait also do the community stuff too. They are also generally contracted for almost a full year now. It's not unreasonable to pay that sort of small salary for an almost full time job.

Reply #413005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Easily done, but it would requitre the team to train say, 6-8pm every night to cater for the fact that some will have to work. No big deal and the full time pros on the team still get there weight sessions/individuals etc. A lot harder for those at the end of the bench but if you want it badly enough....
Gee, this sounds remarkably similar to how the league started off. Again I'll say it....basketball in this country is a semi professional sport masquerading as a pro sport.

Reply #413006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Development players or training bait are typically unpaid yet must attend all team training sessions & normally do at least as many community engagements as roster players. Since most teams train during the day, it makes it extremely difficult to hold down a regular job or study while being part. Personally I'm against that kind of exploitation & think they deserve at least some kind of minimum wage for the time they put in or at the very least an ex gratia payment to cover their costs.

It's a huge jump from this to the $37K mimimum contracted player rate when in reality these guys at 9/10 or lower do little more so there is a case to take a little from them to give to the unpaid training fodder & DPs. Doing it to save the clubs money though is surely robbing the poor to subsidise the rich which should not be what sport is about.

Reply #413008 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

A lot of teams also train out of stadiums that are occupied at night time with local comps, that bring in money to the stadium.

EG: Hawks would only be able to train at the Snake Pit 1 night a week, even then some months the Snake Pit is being used 7 nights a week with local comps. Hawks get to use that stadium for free.

If they train at other stadiums like Berkeley or Shellharbour then they must pay, and even then half the nights are also taken with local comps, basketball, netball and indoor soccer.

Reply #413014 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Those used as training bait also do the community stuff too. They are also generally contracted for almost a full year now. It's not unreasonable to pay that sort of small salary for an almost full time job.
So, as I said in the first post, adjust requirements so that they aren't full-time. A club like Perth with the money might want to pay Trueman $40k and have him full-time. Another club might say that their 10th man is on $25k for part-time, only trains half the time, doesn't do many community appearances and is allowed extra time for study or work.

People talk about allowing marquee players or having a higher salary cap. Realistically, it's about focusing the cap on the players which will draw a crowd.

Reply #413016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you would quickly run into mimimum wage issues when you get down too low. I'm surprised some clubs haven't been in strife over this as it is.

Reply #413018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon it is too high as Isaac said,

Are development players say Tom Daly paid at all?

Given its only a 6 month season, could easily drop it to around 10-15k per season and only ask them to attend 1 training per week, so they can work/study full time. If clubs are able to train at night to help players fit it in then thats great.

ABA players would have full time jobs and most earn less than this wouldnt they? ie what would Daly or Warbout or someone like Truslove make playing ABA? I reckon NBL teams just need to match that and have the top ABA players from there local area fill the 9th, 10th in some cases 8th spots on the roster. Ie if they make 10k playing ABA training 1 night a week, then NBL teams could offer them 10k to do the same during the NBL season, not unreasonable imo, and gives the guys an opportunity to prove themselves and work there way to full time spots on rosters.

Could be one way to save some money for teams. All beit not huge money.

Reply #413023 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

I think it's too low, however I think the entire salary cap is too low. Any player worth their salt goes overseas the moment they have a decent season. As an example I fully expect Ben Madgen to be playing in Europe next season. The salary cap should be 2x what it is currently, and imports should be exempt. That way someone with money can go and pay Allen Iverson a whole bunch of money to play in the NBL.

Reply #413041 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Years ago I now a DP was paid $400/game

Reply #413044 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

I thought DPs don't get paid?

Reply #413047 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Matt, who's going to pay for that?

Reply #413048 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Matt: Where is this money coming from?

Reply #413051 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

I don't mind the idea of the 10th man being part time and getting say 20-30k from the club but working a few days a week in likely in a sporty/healthy profession such as running some basketball clinics or being a personal trainer/taking night fitness classes. Or if it's possible for a player to be something like a part time chef and work 2-3 nights a week or an idea along those lines

Reply #413060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could they look at a 1 million, 9 players salary cap, with any extra players out of the cap.

Catch is any player not under the cap can only play a max of 10 mins game time or something.

If a player gets injured then they move out of the cap and the replacement moves in. So the cap is checked before each game or something.

Reply #413063 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

Also could put in that any player out of the cap that plays in any game must be rated a max of 5 points.

Reply #413065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I disagree that it should be lowered Isaac. I would say around half of these players arent local, so $37000 is already low for them to afford rent/furniture/car/petrol.
Look at it this way - a player from victoria comes back from college and gets signed by say Perth for $37000.
You would assume they have next to nothing in their bank account since they arrived home from college in May after 4 years and need to report to their new town within a month to start training so no time to find a quick job. They must immediately find a place to live which means applying for rentals which takes time. Rentals obviously demand bond plus a couple of weeks rent upfront. Assume they rent with another person, in Perth this would be say $1000 ($600 bond plus $400 for two weeks rent).
Then lets assume the house is furnished, otherwise add in purchasing bed, fridge, couch, TV, pots pans utensils, filling the fridge and pantry with food etc
Now, player needs a car. The club provides for imports only or new signings from interstate. Can't get a loan = haven't had a job for 4 years that they have been in college. Have to get money for this somehow to be able to fulfil school visits etc.
All up that could be close to $5000 just to get started, with no guarantee of a second year contract as most first year players are on one year deals. Imagine moving to a new state for a job, but having nothing in the bank, getting paid $630 a week after tax, not having a car, a place to live or being able to apply for loans or credit cards.
This is what players currently are faced with. Let alone DP's from different states who get paid close to $0 who have to do all the same training sessions and community appearances plus get a job...
Of course none of that matters if the players parents are well off and happy to support them haha, but it's unlikely that is the case.
Sorry about the rant!!

Reply #413066 | Report this post

juno77  
Years ago

#066...that's all fine in theory, but also very naive.

What would you prefer, no league at all? That could be the way it's headed if we try and continue paying players the sort of money they currently get.

Reply #413069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@juno77
I personally think the salary cap should be lowered to around 800K but dont think it should be at the expense of the guys 8-10 who are either new to the league or 'waiting for a break' to get into the main rotation.
I was simply noting what it is actually like for players in that situation from what I have been told from close friends who have experienced it.
Cheers

Reply #413070 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Then clubs pay out of towners more or hire locals. It's not compulsory, just a minimum.

The 36ers have thousands of fans they have direct contact with. They could pay Daly $27k and then find him loads of personal training clients. That sort of thing.

Baller#3, how does that help clubs who can't even afford the cap to compete? Surely it would favour others?

Reply #413073 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Isn't Mitch Creek a qualified personal trainer? I'm not sure what his 36er salary is but he could definitely boost his income by doing some PT in the off season.

Reply #413079 | Report this post

Hawkeye  
Years ago

The whole NBL needs to be set as it was originally set up, independent of BA.
BA takes all the $$ revenue at the top of the system and gives little to the clubs.

With the 7 teams left if the crocs don't survive, they should reduce the Player Salary cap to what the league can afford, if you have two imports then you are spending 1/4 of the salary cap on the imports.

I would rather an $800,000 salary cap and ensure more australians play, say have 1 import.

No business can survive with a loss, unless you have a sugar daddy owner/supporter who pick up the loss.

Perth, Hawks and Breakers have theirs.

Reply #413089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not sure what it's like today but I had a close friend who was a 9th/10th guy on the bench a few years ago who was on the minimum wage which I think was around 30k at the time. He really struggled to make ends meat because because $575 a week before tax isn't much to live on when your living in the city.

He ended up being forced to find part time work and would work in a bar that was a club sponsor most nights of the week.

He always said he was tired and it wasn't ideal but he wouldn't have changed it for the world because he go to live his dream.

Ultimatley what I'm trying to say is for these guys working 15-20 hours in an easy job wouldn't kill them if the reward is they get to play the game they love every weekend.

Reply #413131 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:14 am, Sun 21 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754