Anonymous
Years ago

Logan Signing - Rangers Exodus

Teagan Cunningham to Logan for next season.

Another one leaving the Rangers after Steph went to the Fire. Others on the way out too.

Interesting times down at Dandy.

Topic #31369 | Report this topic

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Rumours around that the coaching panel aren't well liked by a number of players due to there "Manner of communication!"

That said when the extra $$ was on offer they were all happy to put up with it and play......

Reply #413123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its nothing new at Dandy with there being tension between the coaching panel & players - when Abby Bishop left to join Adelaide it was known she didn't get along with Mark Wright, with that playing a role in her decision to leave. Seems things haven't improved between the playing group & coach in the 2 years since.

But can't blame Cunningham for joining Logan - she is better than the opportunities she was getting at Dandenong this year. Look at the final they lost to Townsville and instead of actually giving their bench players a chance (who were actually going pretty well when on court), Wright continued to revert to his starters even though they weren't performing too well.

Reply #413127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes it was only a matter of time before players got sick of Mark Wright and his behaviour. More of them would have walked out last year but with the chance to go back to back stayed on. Dandenong need to have a close look at the coaching panel.

Reply #413132 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

It isn't just Wright i believe the entire panel....I guess you get that when Wright surrounds himself with other coaches whom operate in the same manner.

Reply #413134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carley and Sara gone as well. Not enough shots for everyone. Phillips cut.

Bishop asked to return but was not required. Townsville paid Batkovic her price. Agent wanted 6 figures.

Reply #413136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where have Carley and Sara gone?

Reply #413137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this is the last part of the article from The Age regarding Molloy's signing at Bulleen:

*Mark Wright is expected to coach Dandenong Rangers again next season as is Bernie Harrower who coached Bendigo Spirit to the WNBL championship this past season.*

with players leaving Dandenong, will they still re-sign Wright or will they look elsewhere to see who else is available?

The other interesting thing with Dandenong is I remember reading talk that the WNBL side had asked Cummings & Downie to take a break over winter and have a rest ahead of summer as both have played a lot of basketball over recent years (especially with the SEABL side 3-peating). We know that Cummings has signed with Townsville while Downie has apparently signed with Sandringham in SEABL - how much did asking (telling) Steph to not play over winter impact on her decision to join the Fire, and will Downie look elsewhere also if the players aren't feeling respected?

Reply #413138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ Mark Wright has already signed so they only way he won't coach is if he resigns (fingers crossed!!)
Steph was intending on playing SEABL for Dandenong but that got shut down by Wright as soon as he found out she was playing for Townsville. And FYI the other coaches on the coaching panel are NOT like Mark Wright.

Reply #413144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My mail is that Blicavs is contemplating whether to continue to keep playing basketball or not. Such was her dis-illusionment with Basketball this year. If thats true thats not a great ringing endorsement for Wright's coaching abilities!

Reply #413160 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

I only passed on what i was told..by players that the manner the in which the coaching panel speak/coach is very abrupt/be littling.

The names mentioned were Wright & Estcourt however no mention of sherwell so sorry if i tarred all with the same brush.

that said the players wanting out becuase of a coach is there choice as everyone thrives in different situations.

Reply #413161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor form from those in charge at Dandenong.
Can't believe Steph was knocked back from playing in their SEABL team. She has been there since bottom age Under 12's.
Could we see Steph playng SEABL for a team close to home??

Reply #413168 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

At least Mark Wright isn't Mike Rice from Rutgers !!

Reply #413181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rangers may have to buy an entire new team of course... except for Kathleen! Gets paid the big bucks and never practices ( so why wouldn't you stay) Pity Mark doesn't have more than one son haha

Reply #413182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoopie - I'm pretty sure an ex-ranger player compared Mark to Mark Rice. He is not far off!

Reply #413183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steph to play at Frankston.

Reply #413188 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

There is no doubt there are issues at Dandenong to have a list like they had, and Adelaide had, and to not make GF is terrible. Make no mistake you can assemble a star list but if the coach has little mans syndrome like Buckle and Wright and has to verbally beat up on women they are heading down one path (the path of failure). Both teams were not playing for coach and results speak for themselves. Expect other Rangers and Lighting players to move on.

Reply #413201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

does anyone know if Dandenong has actually had their end of season presentation night or if they are actually planning on having one?
I think they are the only team for whom I haven't head who won the MVP and other awards - is it just lack of organisation on behalf of the club or is there a bigger reason as to why they haven't or won't have one this year?

Reply #413223 | Report this post

Cherry picker  
Years ago

If the players are smart they will get their agents to contact Bulleen, Molloy is well known for his development focus. Problem is they don't have the big sponsor with money to throw around.

Reply #413225 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

YESSSSSS, My favourite Aussie player joining Logan. All Logan need now is a solid Big Girl and they can have a great season.

Reply #413278 | Report this post

Warren Estcourt  
Years ago

Good afternoon,

All the ANON and ANONYMOUS people posting on this topic - all experts! have some courage and put your names up there with your comments. And comment #413161, I do not speak to the players in a "very abrupt/be littling" manner to quote you. You said this came from the players? I would be very surprised if that was the case. Let me know. And as to the other comments - players don't train when they are injured - correct! Well done with that one. If any of you had any idea in regards to how difficult it is to win a WNBL title, let alone repeat as Champions, you wouldn't be posting half this rubbish.Anything else? feel free to ask.

Reply #413491 | Report this post

I have a question. When you have a ridiculously good pool of playing talent that leaves other teams for dead, and you don't even make the grand final, which staff at the club do you think should be under the most scrutiny?

Reply #413542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the fact that asst coach coming here saying "I did not do it" shows how poisonous things are at the nongers

Reply #413593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would Warren even bother to come on this forum & start defending himself. Smacks of desperation to me, it was clear something did stink at Dandenong this year & the exodus out of Dandenong at the moment is clear proof of that! By the way Warren the NZ Breakers just won a hat trick of NBL titles, so it can be done when everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet & have believe in their Coach!

Reply #413609 | Report this post

Flybynight  
Years ago

Hey Guys, Warren is a decent guy who, I can assure you, would treat people in the way described. The Head Coach is another thing all together and, from what I've heard, is the issue.

you'd think the club hierarchy would be worried but it seems to be regular practice over the past couple of years except the honeymoon of the post championship year.

With the talent they had last year no one, and I mean no one, should have stayed with them over a game. They should have been pounding teams with waves of players but they stuck to a small group.

Look at the prelim final, their bench group got them back into the game at the end of the 3rd and then didn't play again. End result, a loss!

Reply #413616 | Report this post

Flybynight  
Years ago

Sorry, should have said, would not treat people in the way that was described.

Reply #413617 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:22 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754