Anonymous
Years ago

How can we get more people to attend NBL games?

Suggestions?

Topic #31380 | Report this topic

Pikachu  
Years ago

Cheaper tickets?
Discount for junior club teams like how the NRL does it
Free whopper if the hometeam breaks 100 points

Reply #413386 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Win back those who have been before. Every club could get sell-outs based only on past fans. Let word spread of must-see performances or not-to-be-missed atmosphere. Make the right roster decisions. Get local content or adopt alternatives. Win games consistently at home. Fight hard, at a minimum, on the road.

Have reasonable ticket prices. Advertise special deals. Do all the small things well even if it's at the expense of experimenting or variance or trying too hard some times. Make sure it's a good night out, regardless of the result.

Treat your core fans well. Stay in touch. Make sure as many people as possible know the season has started and each game is on. After games, be tireless with autograph opportunities and chances for kids to stand on the court with their heroes. (See Wollongong post-game.)

Reply #413387 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

Make that 70pts

Reply #413388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good points Isaac. How is that netball can secure a television broadcast deal to telecast EVERY game, yet the NBL can't get anything close to that? (Please don't mention NBL.tv because there are only 3-4,000 subscribers and it receives nothing from sponsorship dollars)

Reply #413389 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

WHY IS THERE HORSE RACING ON NBL.TV?

Reply #413390 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

How bout we ask Tom freakn Waterhouse for ideas?

Reply #413391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Netball pays for their coverage, NBL gets paid for its.

Reply #413392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You sure about that?

Reply #413393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Want people in Melb to go..NO Friday nights(ALL rep basketball) game...and publish fixtures widely....Love basketball I have no idea when games are in Melb and where

Reply #413395 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

Netball doesn't pay for it, there sponsors do
Netball doesn't sell jerseys/bibs/singlets
Netball players get paid jack all

Reply #413398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crowds have increased across the board already.

Reply #413399 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Crowds isn't the big problem anymore, it's more TV, and promoting the product and keeping clubs viable that is the big issue.

But to keep crowds increasing, as Isaac said - winning at home helps. You don't need to dominate the league, but a home win will ensure the fans go home happy.

Make the game an entertainment experience. Don't do it half assed - put on a show. Teams have already paid $$$ to rent their stadium, make the most of it's facilities during game time - dim the lights during intros, engage with the crowd during the game (eg dance cam, Mexican waves). Have likable personalities - an enjoyable court announcer is a big one, a DJ that plays music appropriately. Get some local celebrities, past champion players to run a competition or something.

Keep the crowd entertained throughout. It's only 2 hours long. Make the most of it.

Social media, word of mouth and getting out to the community will bring the fans to the game - the show itself will get them to come back.

this is how the Wildcats have done it.

Reply #413402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can we please go back to 48 mins?

Whilst we are there get rid of the possession arrow?

Reply #413404 | Report this post

jay ray  
Years ago

This question has been asked over and over and the people in power don't want to listen. Many good sugestions have ben put forward and have flown in the wind.
The answer is easy, just listen to the season ticket holders or the used to be season ticket holders. Go through the books and contact the season ticket holders for the last 15 years and ?! ? Easy!!

Reply #413406 | Report this post

LeRoid James  
Years ago

Entertaining players people want to watch play....I really miss the Dmac's, Copeland's. Trimmingham's, Sam MacKinnon's ect. Get some high flyers back in the league, and personalities too.

Reply #413408 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

You cant alienate the 18 -35 market with tacky music and lame spruikers and gags. This is the demographic with disposable income and they're also the ones looking for somwthing to do on a friday night.

The other key things have all been said above. Price point is a huge one taht townsville in particular had wrong.

Reply #413410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

- Stabilize rosters so fans can relate to and connect with their team for more than one season.

- Re connect with junior associations and have far more visibility in the community through club, school and community promotions.

- Tribalise the image of the team to create passion in the supporter base.

- Re ignite (or create) strong rivalry's, "war of words" between coaches/players, get a bit of zest into the story WWE style.. Create interest for people who wouldn't normally attend games.

Reply #413415 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

What Isaac said, end of discussion.

Reply #413424 | Report this post

hooked  
Years ago

Bring back julius hodge!!!

Players who bring excitement to the league are whats needed.

And cheaper tickets.
The classic case for me was over the christmas period, we played the breakers, christophersons first game, had family from interstate here, wanted to go... drove half way to the stadium, found ticket price online, and turned around to drive home...

Wouldn't have done that if we knew the product would deliver!

Reply #413431 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Game nights don't have to be expensive extravaganzas. But they can't be devoid of action or haphazard "never tried this before. Oops, that fell flat" efforts either. Best to do simple well than make a mess of something untested, or go broke bringing in major acts every week.

Dress and dribble. Half-court shot. That sort of thing. Cheap and easy to do. Gets kids involved and builds memories for them.

If it was my call in Adelaide, I would be going to the slingshot throughout the game. People love that thing, even if they're just catching socks or stress balls or t-shirts. You either wait for it to head to your area, or watch others trying to catch. Every break in play I would be running a giveaway via the slingshot, things being thrown out, or cheerleaders running stuff into the crowd. Have it subsidised by sponsors providing promotional gadgets/toys/food/etc.

Reply #413445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You telling me you missed out on the chance to see Christopherson play? talk about your all-time epic fail decisions.

Reply #413446 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree 100% Isaac.

Reply #413448 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Good calls, Isaac

Reply #413452 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

x2 for entertaining players. There are seemingly no hig profile characters or rivalries anymore.

3 points for dunks and a 5 point line would be awesome too.. :-) hehe

In seriousness though - there needs to be a big entertainment injection across the league. I am sure our team getting back in the winners circle would also help on a 36ers standpoint too.

Reply #413455 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Entertain, engage & interact with the crowd.

Likeable personality, likeable court announcer who has a connection with the fans.

Consistent audio that the crowd can hear and understand the announcer. Been an issue for years in Adelaide.

We definitely need some high flyers and slashers who can throw down some dunks. Some games really lack it.

Bring some blokes with personalities, outspoken blokes instead of robots and who want to do the right thing. Rebel a little bit.

Better promo campaigns, spread the word more, take advantage of social media.

Reply #413456 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't know how you could do it with basketball, but at the ice hockey in St Louis, when the home team scored, the central cube/speakers would play a thunderous ship horn a few times and the place would go bananas. You could have something like that for a goal in soccer, or home runs in baseball but it would be overdone even just for a home-team three pointer in basketball.

---

I mentioned earlier how Wollongong do their post game and figured I'd explain it in detail. I'd try it instead of the Apollo post-game in Adelaide, though I understand what the 36ers are trying to do there.

After the game, the Hawks rope off half the court and let fans on to the other half to mingle with players. They get autographs and have their photo taken. The players basically stay out there as long as fans want them to. A small stage is rolled out near the roped off section and an MC has Gordie say a few words about the game and announce an MVP. I think another award is given out also (best team player or underrated contribution type of award). That MVP might say a few words as well.

Kids meet their heroes, fans build connection with the club and players, and it happens right there after the game rather than a bit out of sight and up mysterious stairs as Apollo might seem to newcomers.

Reply #413463 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I hate mucking around with the rules, but will bringing in the defensive 3-second rule make it easier to score inside and so lift the excitement factor?

Reply #413475 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Relaunch the league much like the A League
Reduce the teams to 8
Back to 48 minute games
Lure back the quality players playing overseas
Lower ticket prices
Better game day product (no in game music or MC yelling shit at me)
Market to fans, not families
Market rivalries
Market the history ... get legends out
Less gimmicks

My final one - left field. Behind one of the baskets - instead of seats - standing area, collesium style. Have a ledge for people to rest their drinks. People can stand up, get rowdy, cheer, get an atmosphere.

Reply #413482 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Success is the key to getting crowds, I think that helped Cairns a lot when they made the grand final.

Reply #413514 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

SVD-maybe venues should introduce areas where you need to be dressed in team colors or fancy dress with painted faces & wigs etc.
i remember in Perth in the 80's when the wildcats had all the uni students as fanatical fan's,great vibe.

Reply #413516 | Report this post

Rick  
Years ago

Stop court announcers trying to get the crowd to chant De-Fense. It is cringeworthy and embarrasing!

Reply #413553 | Report this post

Rick  
Years ago

In recent years I have been to games in Sydney and the Gold Coast and the entertainment package for families was excellent. Remember you are competing against the AFL which has zero entertainment. I don't know about ARL.

A real issue is Ticket pricing. Perhaps significant discounts for group/family bookings could increase numbers and hold revenue.

Reply #413554 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Isaac is on the money....

Reply #413555 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

Cheaper tickets , simple!
A full stadium = money in the bank for the nbl
And especially if a teams getting the spoon , discount the tickets. Treat the fans , meet the team for after game celebrations .

Reply #413557 | Report this post

doctor Basketball  
Years ago

Let people pay what they think the game was worth......

Reply #413792 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:59 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754