Timmy D
Years ago

Are new NBL Stadiums the key?

Is a new venue to play in the best way to bring back interest or boost profits. Perths new arena has been getting them 5k extra people into the arena and giving them a near 1m profit. What yall think.

Topic #31405 | Report this topic

_  
Years ago

if the seats sell yes

Reply #413895 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

'If you build it they will come'

Not knowing how the stadium was funded or how much of the profit may have to go back into operating costs or repayments etc... I would have thought that if it was just that easy, every team would consider it!

Success first, I would think...

Reply #413896 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Kid, they were sell out the old stadium...

Reply #413897 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Yes, they outgrew Challenge Stadium for the second time in their history (first time was in 89 when they made the switch to the PEC in 90)

The demand was there for bigger crowds for quite a few years during the time PA was being constructed.

I sometimes do think that a new venue - especially if its an upgrade - will attract new supporters just on the arena factor alone, but there needs to be a demand for it though (play in a smaller venue for years to capacity crowds and build up the demand)

Im very interested to see if the Cats can maintain 8,000 members for next season, now that Year 1 of the arena is over. I'd be very happy if they can retain 7000 at least.

Reply #413907 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Was having a discussion with a very well credentialled former NBL coach who reckons the key is refereeing, the NBL needs a product to market. Yes, the NBL needs to improve its marketing in general, but if the refereeing improves, the product improves and so the NBL has something to market.

Interesting thoughts!

Reply #413916 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

More comfortable seats would be a start before we need a new stadium lol

Reply #413930 | Report this post

LeRoid James  
Years ago

I dont think new stadiums is feesable for most teams, they need to try and improve what they have. I think floor presentation can help, make the court's attractive to look at so the TV and viewer product looks nicer.

I think all teams should paint keyways and around the court, and get rid of those advertising stickers around half court. Blend the advertising into the paint color, for example if you want to use the "coke" logo in the key, paint the whole key red.

Reply #413941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Bear, the perth arena was funded by the government

Reply #413952 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Not sure on this one. ive spent the last month going to Atlanta Hawks games and the crowds are so poor, its almost boring to go to because there is no atmosphere. then i went to the final four games and it was magical. best atmosphere of any basketball game in my life.

Reply #413967 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Okay, so you get a big, brand spanking new stadium and no one bothers to show up!

I would rather have the money spent on the necessities first...

Build a decent team, offer decent entertainment, improve the facility you have and develop your community relationship first, then look at the big ticket items like a new or enhanced stadium (bigger is not always better)...

Reply #413968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They need to have a few seasons without the annual drama of teams falling over or nearly falling over before they think about anything like new stadiums. Until they can do that I don't think much else matters. How do you attract new fans to an unstable league?

Reply #413976 | Report this post

buck  
Years ago

I went along to the Tigers this year precisely because they moved back to the city. Location - if not new stadium - can also be key. But agree with other comments about building a stable league first.

Reply #415481 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:23 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754