Isaac
Years ago

Knight, Hire and Lisch ignore extension, may test market

Knight and Hire knocked back offers of contract extensions on the same terms as their existing deals last month and are expected to test the market.
The Wildcats have just three players - Damian Martin, Jesse Wagstaff and Everard Bartlett - signed for next season.
Full article

After starting and strong stats, Hire may just be wanting to boost his salary in Perth rather than move elsewhere? Or he may feel too much competition from Redhage and Wagstaff?

Edit: Lisch too, according to And The Foul.

Topic #31418 | Report this topic

Rashad  
Years ago

I think Hire will stay, being a perth boy, but I think Matty Knight staying will be determined if Bevo stays. If Bevo go's, Knight will go, including other players that are out of contract that Bevo has brought into the club.

Reply #414150 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

The likelyhood of some players leaving if Bevo leaves is high but not as definite as most people are saying.

If Bevo does leave Perth and not to another NBL team, to full time Canberra or overseas for example, then whats the difference between staying in Perth or going somewhere else in the NBL for a player like Matty Knight?

He is established in Perth and the cost of relocating has to be added when weighing up other offers.

Reply #414153 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Exactly, alex. While these guys love playing for Bevo, he isn't the be all and end all for what the Cats have to offer.

The salary/points cap is the more likely culprit if a player is squeezed out of this squad.

Reply #414159 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I think Knight will stay also. As good as a player that he is there really isn't much room for him at other teams.

Perhaps only Townsville if they are still around and have the money for him but I doubt he would want to go there for just a minimal increase.

Reply #414160 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, and while he gets offers from Europe he doesnt seem all that keen on going back.

Reply #414162 | Report this post

Timmy D  
Years ago

Good replacment for Scott in Melbourne?

Reply #414165 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Lisch has also knocked back the Wildcats' default extension.

This may be non-news if all these guys are doing is saying 'no' to the first offer. That would happen with almost every NBL salary negotiation.

Reply #414170 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

its all about the benjamins!

Reply #414180 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Given the Crocs position is far from certain, it's a brave move by the players to knock back a contract extension. A bird in the hand as they say...

Unless they are headed OS of course.

Reply #414205 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I think Lisch will head overseas.

Reply #414207 | Report this post

red45  
Years ago

I wonder if travel could deter someone from returning.

You'd think it's easier on the body if you're playing for a team on the east coast, due to travel length etc and body recovery, Knight has had several injuries so maybe that could factor in.... just a thought.

Reply #414220 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

A pair of high-tops will fix that!

Reply #414222 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

Lisch looks like he's heading OS

Reply #414231 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Lisch seems to hate and at times struggle with the physical game of the NBL. Europe is much more physical so he is going to hate it even more but I guess with twice to 3 times the salary I am sure he wont mind.

Reply #414260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's hard to imagine a better place than the NBL for a player like Lisch.

He is undersized and is not going to get taller or faster.

Reply #414261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats 2013/14

D. Martin
Import 6'5 to 6'7 range swingman
G. Hire
S. Redhage
M. Dunigan

R. Carter
E. Bartlett
C. Ellis
J. Wagstaff
M. Vigor

they might keep lisch but knight looks gone. Feel free to agree or disagree

Reply #414264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lisch married a Sydney girl so that maybe an option as well.

Reply #414277 | Report this post

moo moo  
Years ago

knight maybe a good fit in cairns. looking for a centre....

Reply #414279 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Lisch seems to hate and at times struggle with the physical game of the NBL. Europe is much more physical "

Eddie Gill and Jamar Wilson both rate the NBL much more physical than Europe.

Reply #414282 | Report this post

Eurotra$h  
Years ago

I'm sure that if Troy DeVries can handle the Spanish ACB, Kevin Lisch will be just fine.

Reply #414288 | Report this post

cats82  
Years ago

Time for a change i think and it will be hard watching a few guys playing for a different teams.

Hard to build a team when you have this points cap as well and if other owners do not want to spend money say like perth then they can find some one that will.

End of the day it don't matter how good you are during the season it matters when it is money time and not one perth player can say they had a good gf games.

Not taking anything from nz, they didn't play crash hot to, if perth shot even at 40/45% they would've been in nz playing a game 3.

I want lisch to stay and redhage but as good as martin is he can't shoot, hire still not a starter put waggs instead, knight was a shadow ove him self in the gf and injury prone, Eb can go where he wants to like trueman never gets enough court time to develop and thank go tovey and robbo retired.

Reply #414289 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Deleon also said that the NBL is the most physical league he's ever played in.

Reply #414294 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'264, does that solve the shooting deficiency? Takes out a clutch guard and a big with a good mid-range shot.

Reply #414297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'm sure that if Troy DeVries can handle the Spanish ACB, Kevin Lisch will be just fine."

Yeah DeVries is 6'5" Lisch is 6'2" and won't be playing SG in any serious league in Europe.

Reply #414300 | Report this post

Stewie23  
Years ago

Knight will be at Melbourne with fellow Tasmanians Gibson and Walker

Reply #414410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Bevo leaves Perth wouldnt be surprised to see Knight and Lisch leave.

If the Wortho and Gibson rumours are true, how are they also fitting in Knight?

Would give them an awesome team if they can though.

Reply #414416 | Report this post

Em  
Years ago

Is Robbo definetly retired though??

Reply #414501 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I'd say so. Well, considering the Cats had too many players who couldn't score last season then I can't see them wanting him back in the squad. The sticking point may be that he is still under contract, I believe.

Reply #414502 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems Tom Daly (36er) who at 3 player points fits pretty good over there.

Reply #414507 | Report this post

Em  
Years ago

My guess with Robbo will depend on Bevo as well. Especially if they bring in new and young players. Hes worth having on the team just for the gelling and mentoring aspect, shooting or not.

Reply #414511 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:58 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754