Isaac
Years ago

36ers narrow down coaching field

He said there were five major contenders to succeed Marty Clarke, who took the 36ers to back-to-back dungeon finishes after finishing second-last in his debut year.

"We're aiming to see them all through next week, some of them being interstate," Parker said of his shortlist.

Championship-winning coaches Rob Beveridge (won title at Perth), Joey Wright (Brisbane), Phil Smyth (three with Adelaide), favourite son Brett Maher and at least one other appear to be amid new coach calculations.
Article suggests Maher is an outside chance rather than already appointed or a favourite.

Full story

Topic #31427 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Out of those 4 who is everyones preferred option.

Bevo is probably the safest especially if he can bring someone like Lisch with him.

Smyth and Wright both have done well, Wright has been in the NBL more recently, Smyth has more titles but been out of the NBL for a while. Wasnt a huge Wright fan but he does have some big plusses, was a huge fan of Smyth bet he also had his flaws along with the plusses that i loved. Either would be good imo.

Maher a rookie, could work to me he is the kind of guy/player you would think would make a good coach, especially if he has some experience with him. The safest would be to make Maher an assistant behind one of the others, but wouldnt be upset if we gave him a crack.

Im having trouble thinking of who my absolute preference is, ill go safe and say Bevo as number 1 option, aslong as he coaches a more free flowing, higher scoring game style or id almost prefer Smyth or Maher. To me the team needs to be winning but also entertaining, dont want to see low scoring grind out/defensive beat downs games all the time. Wright would be my 4th choice, but still a good option to have, he did some good things in his time at Bullets and Blaze and is a no nonsense type coach so would be good for a DJ type.

All these coaches should get us better imports than Marty did and will manage them better and let them play a bit more. Wright and Smyth did well with guys like Farley and Ere, whom i reckon Marty would have struggled with and totally missused.

For me we cant go wrong if we are picking between those 4. Things are looking good for the future, im excited!

Reply #414317 | Report this post

hooked  
Years ago

Maher def in an assistant role...
The other three i'd take anyday!

Alberton is a place where they appointed the favorite son, so it'd be good for PR, and look how that turned out!!

Go with the veteran coach!

Reply #414319 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I think Bevo if available. Gooj would be interesting if we could afford him. Maher should definately be an assistant.

Reply #414320 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

When Dean mentions "we have been very impressed with the quality of applicants for the position", does this insinuate that Rob Beveridge has actually applied for the position, or is it just a case of Adelaide approaching him?

If in fact Rob has made inquiries signalling his possible exit from Perth, then surely he would have to be the front runner?

Reply #414321 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Everywhere the Wright goes ends up broke!...he always asks for top dollar!

Bevo is the obvoius one as results over the last few years show he is in the top few coaches.

I'd be happy for Bevo to play the defensive style ball as it builds culture on accountability and results which is what we need.

Reply #414323 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Have to go for Bevo. Currently in the league, has runs on the board with a young, budget roster (Spirit) and building a program (Wildcats). Has got the best out of almost every player he's coached? Almost coached here before, so obviously not disinterested.

Reply #414324 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Maher will at best be an assistant to a proven candidate. The smart ones are asking for Maher to be their off sider.

Bevo warming up

Wright looking good as that means Gibbo will definitely stay

Reply #414326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As already mentioned Wright only goes where the money has been. Self interested Wright is not what the Sixers need now. Bevo and the Fav sone Maher would be a perfect combo.

Reply #414329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Bevo interested though? I have heard no.

Reply #414330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

all i can say goodness NO to Smyth NO NO NO

Reply #414331 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The club would not be dragging their feet on such an important decision unless they had someone more or less sorted. And of the list, you wouldn't rush to lock someone in early unless they were really in demand.

That suggests Bevo (or Goorjian at a stretch) to me.

As a friend and I were just discussing, I'd rather the club take some money from the roster pool to make sure they got the right coach - if that's what it took.

Reply #414334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wright has had teams (successful at that) with owners who were willing to pay top dollar. That doesn't necessarily mean he will only go to a team that is willing to do the same, or that he will only be successful with spending top dollar.

I have no idea if he is interested in 36ers or if 36ers are interested in him, but given his record, surely worth a look.

Brisbane and Gold Coast going out of NBL were not because of Wright or the players. Wright seems comfortable in SE Qld though so may wish to stay put and wait for Bullets?

Reply #414337 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

A Bevo/Maher partnership would be the best possible outcome. This way if/when Bevo chooses to explore the overseas market then Maher will be groomed and ready to take on the main role.

If Bevo doesn't take up the position, I'd prefer Trevor Gleeson to any of the other names mentioned. Gleeson has also had a fair amount of success with imports, especially during his tenure in Townsville.

As for Smyth, he was just what the 36ers needed at that time. Would the Adelaide Crows have re-appointed Malcolm Blight after Neil Craig's run came to an end? I think not.

Reply #414338 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

If Bevo is in the mix for Adelaide and also for the Boomers, is Adelaide waiting for the Boomers coaching announcement first?

It could backfire on Adelaide if they take him on and then find he's very busy with the Boomers.

Reply #414341 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I would have to question Bevo's motivation. Why would he want to leave the best program in Australia to come coach Adelaide?

To me the only answer would be money but with Perths huge profit I am surprised they wouldn't be able to pay him what he wants. For arguments sake lets say it is because of getting more money here, I wonder if he would be complacent coaching here once he gets the deal. On the other hand, perhaps it isn't because of the money and it is because he really wants a challenge, in that case he would be great to have.

Wright would be good as well. We probably don't have to pay him top dollar since any coaching job is better then no job.

Maher as assistant looks great!

Reply #414342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What more does Bevo have to achieve in Perth? Especially if there are issues between him and the CEO.

Real Coaches like Bevo enjoy development of a player, team, club long term program as much as winning.

Probably feels like there's no challenge left within the Wildcats and needs to achieve something.

Something the club hoping coaches of Adelaide could learn.

Reply #414344 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

KingJames, for the sake of this, let's assume the Marvo-Bevo schism as hinted at in reports is real. In that case you've got a somewhat disgruntled coach, far from home and a bit sick of his workplace environs. Flip it over in negotiations, and you've potentially got a GM less than keen to pay more for a guy he doesn't get along well with. Perhaps he thinks that less than ideal situation can be solved with a cheaper, less pig-headed assistant taking the reins? And if they lose a couple of players in the process (many high point values), they could solve that with the big profit from this year.

On the back of the 0-2 GF sweep, it might be easier to look at players with a glass half-empty approach. "If Lisch and Knight go, we'll just get a new import and Dunigan. Big deal."

Just guessing. For all I know, Bevo might re-sign for five years with Perth tomorrow. And Bevo-Marvo renew their vows next time the Cats play in Auckland.

Reply #414347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hear Bevo is gone to China for big money way above anything a NBL club could offer

Reply #414348 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Bevo also has family in Adelaide and already spends a decent amount of time in town.

Reply #414349 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

I have been hearing about Bevo to China for several months. Never seems to get a comment tho....until now.
The only thing stopping it maybe the Boomers' job, altho Cats don't seem happy for him to take the extra work load.
I just don't see him at 36'ers next season. Hope for Adelaide's sake I am guessing incorrectly.

Reply #414350 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maybe not Bevo. Not quite as keen on the other options.

Reply #414353 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Brian Goorjian would be my pick.. for both 6ers AND the boomers

Reply #414354 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Well you have to admit, three GF appearances in four years and one title or no, losing the GF on home court was a big black mark on the record. Particularly with almost 14k in attendance. That would have made Bendat and Marvin very unhappy campers.

With or without Bevo, something needs to change in this team. It cannot clear the final hurdle anymore, especially against New Zealand.

Reply #414356 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Picking Goorjian would be like picking Sheedy now...yeah was a great coach but father time would of taken its toll. Move on.

Reply #414361 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Goorjian : "80% of time spent on defense and a player doesn't sit for more than 2minutes in a game . That's the style we'll be going forward with . "

Reply #414362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"As a friend and I were just discussing, I'd rather the club take some money from the roster pool to make sure they got the right coach - if that's what it took."

Spot on, try and get the best quality coaching candidate they can and worry about the roster afterwards.

I'd bet Bevo could do a lot more with a $800k roster than Marty Clarke could with a $1 million roster.

Reply #414366 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Isaac/Others sorry I wasn't aware of the issues with the GM. It makes much more sense now.

Is anyone concerned that Bevo would be like a Clarke/Radford version 2.0 in that it is the same coaching strategy? Both coaches love to continue to rotate players and play aggressive D (Not that this happened much in Adelaide) which obviously hasn't worked in Adelaide. That would be my only concern with Bevo, if you bring in a similar strategy you will get similar results.

Reply #414373 | Report this post

Wondering Coach  
Years ago

Boti Nagy suggesting Maher is a pretty warm selection

Reply #414381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It will Be interesting to Read Boti's articles if Maher Struggles haha.
Wonder how long before the Sack Brett post will start on here.

Reply #414386 | Report this post

Grovermi$ter  
Years ago

Did anyone else on here go to the open forum with Dean a few weeks ago? they talked about that exact thing about Maher in that they respect him as a player and legend of the club and dont want to have his status as a legend of the club tarnished by hiring him as a coach... unless he has the right support around him... as an assistant and head coach in waiting ala buckley-malthouse at the pies,(Yes i know that got ugly towards the end but that was poor managemtn by eddi 'everywhere') i think it would work... give bevo or who ever a 3 year contract with an option depending on sucess i.e if they go back to back to back to back, we can dream, then dont sack the coach... and then maher to step up after the contract is over can only see positives coming out of it for everyone involved!

Reply #414392 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

http://www.wildcats.com.au/article/id/2o3dgcvooov118wwbrqop12l2

Reply #414393 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

For those too lazy to copy and paste that link, Beveridge has told the Cats he's considering options (including the Perth job) but will take several weeks to decide.

Perth have announced they will commence a search for a coach rather than wait and see on Bevo.

Reply #414411 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

This is going to be the off-season from the very jaws of Hell.

Reply #414419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maher has several extras besides his BB abilities.
There will be no relocation costs and sometimes they are huge AND borne by the club.

Reply #414426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Meant to add,...
do an Essendon thing (no, not the supplements!)
hire Brett and have an assistant as good as a Head Coach.

Reply #414427 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Last 2 posts were from me...sorry.

Reply #414428 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

There must be PhD's written on this sought of stuff. Do you pick this type of coach, that type etc etc.

For Head Coach, I would be leaning towards Bevo due to the fact he is in the NBL and at the top of his game at the moment. The NBL has been very tight, especially last season and so the coach we need is someone who can think under pressure, motivate their players and keep it simple. I wouldn't consider Phil. It's like going back to an old girlfriend. The sex is never as good second time around unless they have been to India on some Karma Sutra intensive study course. A selection of a "Cleanskin" would be a brave decision unless they brought a lot to the table.

For Assistant, Brett Maher would be the one for me. He hasn't coached at any level before from what I understand, but his knowledge of the game and his "basketball antennae" is first class. The excitement that would bring to the club would even get Channel 7 talking positively about the Sixers.

This will set the rafters on fire, but would Marty or the Rat be worthy of a stint as assistant? The Rat and Bevo have a history together and Marty seems to be very good on the skills development, but unable to think strategically, but could fit well under someone who didn't really focus on the small skills stuff, but could spot an opponent's weakness.

My Option 1: Bevo; Brett; (Liam Flynn?)

Reply #414437 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems there's only one (1) coach that can take us from bottom to top next season . Turned some ordinary defenders into good ones . Took some unknowns from barely heralded colleges and made them good players here.

Reply #414447 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Goorjian shouldn't be allowed near any Adelaide team. His style of play has helped kill the league.

It would be kind of ironic Bevo coaching Adelaide considering his record against us. Even worse if suddenly we cant beat Perth!

Reply #414471 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:19 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754